OT - NO POLITICS Local Only COVID-19 Discussion 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Locally, the daily AM news consistently reports continued vaccine distributions, so unless the tooth fairy has a sibling responsible for it, something is indeed working.

Doing the math, >1.5% of population this week from just this county's health dept. (I typically see data on 4 other neighboring counties.) That number doesn't count targeted populations like health care workers, etc. NCDHHS is expanding eligibility from health care workers and other subset populations to general population >65yo. Appointment schedules reported to be filled (for the week) in ~3hrs. Distribution locations have been expanded - i.e., they are using a currently closed movie theater besides Dept of Health, other local (private) health care providers, etc.

Edit: People interviewed on TV talk of having to wait in line but are congenial and appreciative. Hey, I remember going to the County Health Dept as a youngster in the 1970s to get polio and other shots, and you stood in line for those too, either with no appointment, or perhaps appointment day/time blocks by last name. If the line was long, you went home and came back another day. At least with COVID appointments, the wait is arguably no different than the COVID DMV, or general no-COVID Dr. office, car dealership servicing/repair, etc.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Interesting proposal in new stimulus talks. The $1400 stimulus would go to anyone who gets vaccinated.

I imagine that would create some distribution as problems as I assume it would spike demand for the vaccine.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Woke up this morning after getting vaccinated yesterday. Feel fine but holy crap my arm hurts. Hard to lift it all.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Nice. Second dose is said to bring harsher side effects, but I only had a sore arm and a bit of fatigue after each dose.

I will not tell my wife that. She was basically bed ridden yesterday saying it was the worst she’s ever felt (and she’s has COVID) after she got the vaccine Wed.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Woke up this morning after getting vaccinated yesterday. Feel fine but holy crap my arm hurts. Hard to lift it all.

hahahaha. Not trying to make fun of you, but some of us have had this experience for a long time. The anthrax series, no longer given, was like injecting a train wreck into your arm for all five doses plus boosters.

There’s a shot given to those just entering service. It’s a soup of a bunch of different vaccines. You can’t sit right for a few days.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
hahahaha. Not trying to make fun of you, but some of us have had this experience for a long time. The anthrax series, no longer given, was like injecting a train wreck into your arm for all five doses plus boosters.

There’s a shot given to those just entering service. It’s a soup of a bunch of different vaccines. You can’t sit right for a few days.
Get the shot and then go PT to keep the muscles warm and 'work' it out. Never worked just made your arms tired and sore, but it was the thought that counted

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It really looks like we've hit our peak here in Rochester and our country as a whole. I'm a bit optimistic. We just have to hope these mutated strains don't cause a high number of reinfections. I'd have to assume that we'll see some localized outbreaks with the more contagious strains circling around, but nothing like we've seen country wide this winter. Of course, this scummy virus is a diligent little bastard, so who knows?

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It really looks like we've hit our peak here in Rochester and our country as a whole. I'm a bit optimistic. We just have to hope these mutated strains don't cause a high number of reinfections. I'd have to assume that we'll see more localized outbreaks with the more contagious strains circling around, but nothing like we've seen country wide this winter. Of course, this scummy virus is a diligent little bastard, so who knows?

Our school district's numbers for the last week were optimistically low....

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Our school district's numbers for the last week were optimistically low....
The hospital is still very full, but that's due to ICU patients having to linger around for a while, especially if ventilated, and rules surrounding nursing home patients needing to stay for a long duration. That being said- the new hospitalizations has been falling for a week or two now, and the percent positive continues to fall. It's either due to herd immunity finally hitting or human behavior changing. It isnt the weather playing a role this time like last spring. That being said, we'll get a better idea of where we're at herd immunity wise once we open up more. Hopefully we can start pushing the boundaries this spring.

Reactions: Paxon

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Jeff had a great conversation even if it was a little out of date by the time his sports show happened on Saturday. It was cool to here our school's AD, as well.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Interesting proposal in new stimulus talks. The $1400 stimulus would go to anyone who gets vaccinated.

I imagine that would create some distribution as problems as I assume it would spike demand for the vaccine.

It's interesting, but I don't know how I feel about it. It would certainly convince many to take it who might not otherwise, but if the objective here is economic stimulus, tying the payment to taking a vaccine that at best you might not get for 4 months seems questionable.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's interesting, but I don't know how I feel about it. It would certainly convince many to take it who might not otherwise, but if the objective here is economic stimulus, tying the payment to taking a vaccine that at best you might not get for 4 months seems questionable.

Honestly, if that is what it takes to get some people who are on the fence about the vaccine to get the vaccine, I'm for it.

But, I also realize that we are not in the population that needs a stimulus check. So, I am looking at it differently than some.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Honestly, if that is what it takes to get some people who are on the fence about the vaccine to get the vaccine, I'm for it.

But, I also realize that we are not in the population that needs a stimulus check. So, I am looking at it differently than some.
You have to look at it as your grandkids or great grandkids are going to pay you $1400 to get the vaccine.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Agreed.

I would hope that resistance to the vaccine would be based on listening to the science about it and trusting that. But I haven't been cooped up in the house so long that I don't understand the reality of the world we live in.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Agreed.

I would hope that resistance to the vaccine would be based on listening to the science about it and trusting that. But I haven't been cooped up in the house so long that I don't understand the reality of the world we live in.

After the "listen to the science" debate I've had on Twitter today, I have no idea what the science says anymore.

:help:

The challenge is that too many people pick the science that they like rather than listening to hard truths from people that disagree with them but might actually know what they are talking about.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
After the "listen to the science" debate I've had on Twitter today, I have no idea what the science says anymore.

:help:

The challenge is that too many people pick the science that they like rather than listening to hard truths from people that disagree with them but might actually know what they are talking about.

Science changes constantly.. I see nothing wrong with people being hesitant on getting a new vaccine. Some just want to wait awhile and see what transpires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->