OT: Local Hockey Thread

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
I'm going to be moving to the Orlando/C FL area later this year. I've never even ice skated... doing that soon. I'm athletic.... have a history with basketball and baseball. Can I get into any leagues for hockey down there or does that even exist for someone just starting out? I'd like to learn to play hockey and competitively... quick learner as well in sports

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I'm going to be moving to the Orlando/C FL area later this year. I've never even ice skated... doing that soon. I'm athletic.... have a history with basketball and baseball. Can I get into any leagues for hockey down there or does that even exist for someone just starting out? I'd like to learn to play hockey and competitively... quick learner as well in sports

Take skating lessons bro. I've seen some god awful skaters out there and it ain't fun and could be dangerous ... for the people playing with you and against you. I'd think the progression for someone like you is skating lessons first. Hockey 101 at the local rink is number two...its not so much the rules as it is getting used to being out there playing in a safe environment. Then you'll start with the tryouts for the begginer leagues...they put you through some skating tests then team captains pick out the noobs. Then start having fun. I think at least that's more or less the progression I've seen. Skating is #1 though everything starts there. Basketball and Baseball are easy...its not the same as hockey. You are on skates...if you can't skate you can't play hockey. Oh and when you are going through your skating lessons...tell the instruction you want to play hockey. So that they keep reminding you to keep your head up. :naughty:

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015

Hockey is hard. I grew up having a rink in my backyard. We would constantly get the football/basketball/baseball players who had never played before to come out and play with us. It was hilarious stuff to watch. Most thought hockey was easy and they were going to come out and keep up... not a chance.

Do learn to skate first. Most importantly, learn how to stop... know how to stop. You don't want to be a danger to yourself. Always go feet first into the boards. Start by playing in D league... or whatever the lowest league possible is.

I've played on C league teams here in Michigan (I would assume the competition is better here in Michigan). We had several guys on the team that started playing at about age 30. They did just fine and had a blast.

It's a sport that just takes time to learn. Don't worry though, people aren't going to make fun of you for messing up or anything. The hockey community is a tight community. People will want to help you out and teach you anything and everything about the game.

DaGoose

Jul 22, 2015
Take skating lessons bro. I've seen some god awful skaters out there and it ain't fun and could be dangerous ... for the people playing with you and against you. I'd think the progression for someone like you is skating lessons first. Hockey 101 at the local rink is number two...its not so much the rules as it is getting used to being out there playing in a safe environment. Then you'll start with the tryouts for the begginer leagues...they put you through some skating tests then team captains pick out the noobs. Then start having fun. I think at least that's more or less the progression I've seen. Skating is #1 though everything starts there. Basketball and Baseball are easy...its not the same as hockey. You are on skates...if you can't skate you can't play hockey. Oh and when you are going through your skating lessons...tell the instruction you want to play hockey. So that they keep reminding you to keep your head up. :naughty:

Head up won't be a huge thing for adult hockey considering you can't hit.

But yeah, for youth hockey... I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard heads up, don't duck.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

Go to the Brandon Ice Sports Forum. They have a great league for you. Its on Saturday nights. The Beginner league. It is literally for people just like you. Oh and learn how to ice Skate. That helps tons!

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Possibly moving to Brooksville from the Detroit area...any average to good leagues for roller or ice around that area? I'm a B/C level ice player up here in the mitten.

Any insight would be great!

Thanks guys!

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Anyone play ice in Brandon looking for a B/C level player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->