OT: LOCAL COVID19 - PART I... Seriously, local only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seeing as how the stickied Mod note in the last thread seemed to be widely ignored, we're going to start fresh rather than me going through and deleting all the posts that didn't belong.

A reminder, this thread is for Covid19 topics of local interests

Local interest refers to what's going on in your community.

Posts about causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, origins and prevention ect are no longer allowed unless there is a local component. Otherwise they belong in main board thread

For more general discussion, go to the main thread below:
COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Please try your best to stay on topic, failure may result in your post being deleted, receiving an infraction, a thread ban, or all of the above. If posters in general can't adhere to these rules, we simply will not have a covid19 thread in the Sens forum.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
c7ae1feffc3b7769d654e51d680500fb.png

(Source.)

Still not out of it. But trending in the right direction.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Higher today then yesterday... but lets keep the Vaccines coming and hopefully people keep it safe. I feel sorry for people with young kids through this ; trying to juggle work, daycare , school, activities. And keeping their marriages on an even keel.
In Ontario on Tuesdays there have traditionally been fewer total cases due to fewer tests performed over the weekend. I don't know the Ottawa-specific numbers but in Ontario today there were also more cases than yesterday but the positivity rate was way down.

All this to say: things are trending in the right direction!

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Even though infection rates are really high the death count remains as low as ever.
This is a really really good thing. The combination of the stay-at-home orders and vaccines for most vulnerable the have broken the relationship between cases and deaths. Now we need more vaccines in younger, riskier people to break the relationship between cases and hospitalizations. Then this turns into a seasonal flu and we can declare a detente. (We'll never be able to declare victory - we'll need to set up an infrastructure for people to get boosters easily [not the doctor's office]).

Reactions: DrEasy

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Even though infection rates are really high the death count remains as low as ever.
Stylizer..we have discussed this at length.

This thing is deadly..but to those above 70 and the small percentage that has morbidity issues. Those that this affects have been smart enough to hide...My partner, who is 68 and is a 2 time cancer survivor, has not left the house in 14 months...She and I go through insane steps to protect her.

Humanity is darn lucky that this thing was discriminatory. Had it been the 1919 version and hit all age groups, we would have been sliced to bits. The 70 and over crowd natural hibernate...They do not work and fear such things as winter. So they stay indoors and away form everything. 70 plus year olds are typically on fixed incomes and do not go out much anyway. Restaurants, clubs sporting events, etc. can be hard on them economically, mobility wise and they typically have "been there and done that" and prefer quieter time...THAT f'ng helped a huge amount.

The death rate is more reflective of how seriously the vulnerable group took this thing. They knew to not trust the rest of us and protected themselves. My partner and I assume everyone around us is infected and act accordingly. We do not make one mistake. Her family Doctor is dying of it. He had health issues and may have contracted it at local hospitals or clinics. Leaving her to deal with cancer and no family doctor....and to live in fear because she has to access the health system.

about 30% of us have been bitten in the ass by covid..the remaining 70% of society has been running around without a care. The bloody issue is; the high infection rates, pollute the environment for the vulnerable and dramatically increases their chances of getting it. Regardless of efforts they take to protect themselves. I sit in fear for 4 days after I go shop to make sure I didn't get it and pass it on...so far 60 f.ng shopping excursions and thus far 240 f'ng days of fear....I just passed the 4 day mark at 2 pm..I now have a 3 day respite from fear before it starts all over again.

This f,ng nightmare has to end.

Reactions: Here I Pageau Again

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Something I've been wondering about and something that will be thoroughly dissected in years to come when more data is available

What if we did nothing other than lock down old age homes?

No lockdowns
No masks
No distancing
No economic shutdown
No job loss
No income support

Basically nothing

Then we redirected huge money to health care. What would have happened?

There's a lot to unpack in that question and the ramifications will go on for years

I have a kid that had covid. Much ado about nothing but we're talking an early 20s kid

I have a friend that died of a heart attack that most likely would be alive today if we weren't in covid times

I have a relative with untreated/less treated cancer festering in him

I read the other day it'll take 4 years to clear the surgical backlog in Ontario

Just something I have been wondering about and i think maybe a few years down the road when data is available I might really look into it

Reactions: Senateurs

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Something I've been wondering about and something that will be thoroughly dissected in years to come when more data is available

No lockdowns
No masks
No distancing
No economic shutdown
No job loss
No income support

Basically nothing

There's a lot to unpack in that question and the ramifications will go on for years

I have a kid that had covid. Much ado about nothing but we're talking an early 20s kid

I have a friend that died of a heart attack that most likely would be alive today if we weren't in covid times

I read the other day it'll take 4 years to clear the surgical backlog in Ontario

Just something I have been wondering about and i think maybe a few years down the road when data is available I might really look into it

To be fair the median age in ICU was ~60 was it not? And we were at 900 in the ICU in Ontario. ~150 in the ICU is when surgeries start getting cancelled.

While we might have survived that first wave, the second and third waves would have been devastating.

But it's clear we need to invest way more in healthcare and hospital capacity. I don't want to be like Japan (where people are waiting for hospital beds to open up which is why so many Japanese do not want the Olympics). I want to be like Germany with a shit ton of capacity to be flexible.

Reactions: DrEasy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Love how my AZ appointment was cancelled as the Qc government stopped administering it, and now had to find another appointment on my own which means waiting until June 3rd to get my first dose since bookings opened up to all age groups and anything sooner was snagged up in a flash.

Are second doses being administered much later? Feels like I won't be fully vaccinated until end of summer. :(

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018

No lockdowns
No masks
No distancing
No economic shutdown
No job loss
No income support

Basically nothing

I always thought it was nonsense conspiracy and I didn't believe it until I looked it up but Florida (one of the most lax lockdowns in NA) has about the same amount of deaths per capita as Quebec (one of the most strict lockdowns in NA). Food for thought.
By no means am I anti-mask, anti-vax or a COVID denier btw.
If we spent more money on training, staffing and improving healthcare we wouldn't need constant lockdowns... But then again, its much easier for the government to blame the people instead of their own piss poor management.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
To be fair the median age in ICU was ~60 was it not? And we were at 900 in the ICU in Ontario. ~150 in the ICU is when surgeries start getting cancelled.

While we might have survived that first wave, the second and third waves would have been devastating.

But it's clear we need to invest way more in healthcare and hospital capacity. I don't want to be like Japan (where people are waiting for hospital beds to open up which is why so many Japanese do not want the Olympics). I want to be like Germany with a shit ton of capacity to be flexible.
We need a government that has the spine to take on the companies that benefited the most from this pandemic and its effects. Yes, that means taxation and dogged pursuit of tax evaders, cheaters and companies that use extensive accounting tricks and loopholes to hide profits from everyone except their most important investors. We could re-fund healthcare in a capacity that's never been seen before and by miles ahead of the next time a massive problem like this comes up.

There are a lot of intricacies to this idea, obviously, but it's time that a certain part of our world starts carrying the weight of the world's problems rather than simply profiting off of them when opportune.

We could have such incredible localized healthcare if we simply captured that money and then gave it to effective community groups who could dispense the money in the most appropriate way for the demographics they serve. Have an area with high amounts of seniors/LTCs? No problem. That money is used to ensure that services reach them instead of them having to work the other way. Have an area with a lot of young people? Invest a good chunk of money into mental health initiatives that can help alleviate the pressures of lockdowns on younger, more unaffected populations.

We just need people who step into office that actually give a f*** about the people who put them there and not just their own interests.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

No lockdowns
No masks
No distancing
No economic shutdown
No job loss
No income support

Basically nothing

I kind of get this, but it's a hindsight opinion and this thing was very scary and uncertain at first. Your experience doesn't reflect those who got this a lot worse.

Agree that we should have over invested in healthcare from day 1. We got off super easy from covid and still almost overran capacity.

But locking down old folks homes isn't as easy as it seems. Look at the outbreaks in the NHL bubble. I feel like we would have just f***ed that up.

Maybe that would have worked okay, but if it didn't it would have been an unmitigated tragedy. Better to play it safe.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Love how my AZ appointment was cancelled as the Qc government stopped administering it, and now had to find another appointment on my own which means waiting until June 3rd to get my first dose since bookings opened up to all age groups and anything sooner was snagged up in a flash.

Are second doses being administered much later? Feels like I won't be fully vaccinated until end of summer. :(

Didn't you have covid? Or am i thinking of someone else

If i understand correctly

Having had covid + plus one shot of any vaccine = great immunity

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I kind of get this, but it's a hindsight opinion and this thing was very scary and uncertain at first. Your experience doesn't reflect those who got this a lot worse.

Agree that we should have over invested in healthcare from day 1. We got off super easy from covid and still almost overran capacity.

But locking down old folks homes isn't as easy as it seems. Look at the outbreaks in the NHL bubble. I feel like we would have just f***ed that up.

Maybe that would have worked okay, but if it didn't it would have been an unmitigated tragedy. Better to play it safe.

It's not an opinion. I didn't express an opinion

It's something I am curious about

And it's something that will be studied to death in the future

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We need a government that has the spine to take on the companies that benefited the most from this pandemic and its effects. Yes, that means taxation and dogged pursuit of tax evaders, cheaters and companies that use extensive accounting tricks and loopholes to hide profits from everyone except their most important investors. We could re-fund healthcare in a capacity that's never been seen before and by miles ahead of the next time a massive problem like this comes up.

There are a lot of intricacies to this idea, obviously, but it's time that a certain part of our world starts carrying the weight of the world's problems rather than simply profiting off of them when opportune.

We could have such incredible localized healthcare if we simply captured that money and then gave it to effective community groups who could dispense the money in the most appropriate way for the demographics they serve. Have an area with high amounts of seniors/LTCs? No problem. That money is used to ensure that services reach them instead of them having to work the other way. Have an area with a lot of young people? Invest a good chunk of money into mental health initiatives that can help alleviate the pressures of lockdowns on younger, more unaffected populations.

We just need people who step into office that actually give a f*** about the people who put them there and not just their own interests.
If politicians where accountable for wasting money we would see how far a dollar could stretch.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

No lockdowns
No masks
No distancing
No economic shutdown
No job loss
No income support

Basically nothing

I can't see how our situation doesn't get worse if we literally do nothing. Even if we invest $$ into healthcare, we need to have trained staff to deal with ICU's and OR's. Most ICU programs have a 3-6 month training program if you have 2+ years of ICU experience and if you don't, it's about a year training. For nurses. Doctors are a whole other story. They aren't coming in droves to work in Ontario, we wouldn't have the staff to deal with it. Our wait list would be increased even more than it is.

Unless we spent the last 4+ years preparing for a possible and hypothetical pandemic. I cannot see a situation in which doing nothing would put us in a better place. Now we could have dealt with it better, but we didn't -- so here we are.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Didn't you have covid? Or am i thinking of someone else

If i understand correctly

Having had covid + plus one shot of any vaccine = great immunity

Yes I did in fact have covid but this was a full year ago so who knows if there's any immunity left.

Reactions: JD1

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I’m 39 on the Quebec side, I had my first Pfizer shot on Saturday and they booked my 2nd appointment for August 28th at the same time.

I went to the Wakefield community Center, my appointment was at 3:30 and was told to arrive 5 minutes early. My wife and I were both out by 3:55! Great efficient process!

Last edited:
Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

No lockdowns
No masks
No distancing
No economic shutdown
No job loss
No income support

Basically nothing

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

This is one of those scenarios where there was no right solution. It isn't possible to keep the virus out of LTC facilities the way things are (most works work in multiple group and single homes), and doing nothing with the general public would've allowed the virus to spread and mutate uncontrollably.

Reactions: JD1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad