OT: Local amateur teams

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I thought we had an "At the rink" type thread around here at one point, but didn't see anything stickied.

Anybody have any experience with any of the local amateur teams, specifically the 3 South Hills teams - Predators, Panthers and Hornets.

I've talked about this in one of the other off topic threads (mods, if you feel this should just be dump in there, I understand, just figured I'd get more eyes this way), my son is just getting into playing.

Sam is 6, but has ate and slept hockey from a young age. He's skated for the last 6 months or so through our school district in their developmental program. Well, that program is going away at the end of April (after 1 year). Looks like a lot of districts are going this way, not wanting to take on the risk for club level sports.

So, I'm looking for any input/experience anyone may have with these organ-eye-zations. I've got no delusions I'm developing the next great player from the Pittsburgh area, but want him to have the best experience possible as long as he wants to keep playing (and we can afford to keep him playing).

Thank fellas...and any hockey moms too

scottrodo

Mar 8, 2009
Wheeling, WV
I have experience with Southpointe (the Rink Rats). My son played a couple seasons there in midget AA team. We had very good experience. It is not much farther south than the orgs you mentioned. They are good orgs as well but a lot is dependent on the coaches of each specific team.

Arctic Foxes are also reasonably nearby on Neville Island.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
My son plays for the Mite Panthers. Moving up to Squirt next year. SHAHA is losing one sheet of ice due to YMCA buying bethel park blade runners. SHAHA parents are down to earth and decent people mostly. Ive heard the predators have stuck up parents. That said SHAHA has A LOT of kids playing for them so unless your kid is very good you may get stuck with a coach that doesnt even now how to skate. At 6 years old no matter where you go you will be playing ADM cross ice hockey and the cross ice practices are designed by USA hockey. So go where ever is closest and convenient. Predators I know charge more. SHAHA is very affordable.

I dont know much about the Hornets other than they usually have decent teams. Mt Lebanon will probably be more expensive. I live in Bethel Park.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I dont know much about the Hornets other than they usually have decent teams. Mt Lebanon will probably be more expensive. I live in Bethel Park.

Mt. Lebanon's good. There aren't any AAA or AA teams, so if your kid gets really good I'd look elsewhere, but for a beginner starting in Mites or Squirts, Mt Lebanon is fine. It's not overly expensive either. I enjoyed my time there when I played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->