LIU adding Men’s D1 Hockey team

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
for the record I played for CW Post in the 90's. Club team. Had a ton of fun. I was the straw that stirred the drink. (in my own mind )

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
This is pretty cool! We’ll get to see D1 college hockey close to home. Also could potentially see some of our college prospects and other NHL prospects when they visit to play. I wouldn’t be surprised if they use the coliseum as their home arena.

LIU Announces Addition of Men’s Ice Hockey - Long Island University
I believe one of the stipulations for having a D1 hockey team is to have your own arena(not sure if it had to be “on campus” or not).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I believe one of the stipulations for having a D1 hockey team is to have your own arena(not sure if it had to be “on campus” or not).

I can’t imagine it has to be on campus but you could be right. I’ve been to a few BC hockey games and their arena is on campus. Seems like the coliseum is newly renovated and scaled down from Pro hockey enough for a D1 hockey team. Seems like the most logical choice to me.

LIU women play at the isles practice facility. I don’t think that’s a long term solution for a D1 team.

Edit- doing a bit of research there are some teams with off campus arenas. UCONN plays at the Whalers old arena and where the AHL wolf pack currently play. The XL Center 15k searing capacity.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d totally go to these games, local D1 hockey even if they are dropped into the Atlantic conference would be awesome!

agreed. My dream would be Hockey East. Beggars can’t be choosers though.

they’d be more competitive on the Atlantic conference but Hockey East has the better teams and players. There’s always pro prospects on those teams.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I don’t think this is true. Iona college used to have a D1 team and they played at New Roc city, which is a rink at a shopping mall. Definitely not on campus. Team folded in 2003 for financial reasons.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
agreed. My dream would be Hockey East. Beggars can’t be choosers though.

they’d be more competitive on the Atlantic conference but Hockey East has the better teams and players. There’s always pro prospects on those teams.

They would get relentlessly curb stomped in HE, ECAC is a good happy middle.

Reactions: SI90

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Seems like a bad time for a college to start a new *EXPENSIVE* DI team. Scholarships, coaching salaries, equipment, uniforms, ice rental, the massive cost of insurance... all while the school is laying people off because of the economy.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island

I always thought this to be true cause Stony Brook had that issue being their games are played at the Rinx but it seems LIU womens team played their games at Iceworks and are a D1 team

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Seems like a bad time for a college to start a new *EXPENSIVE* DI team. Scholarships, coaching salaries, equipment, uniforms, ice rental, the massive cost of insurance... all while the school is laying people off because of the economy.

The timing is VERY weird

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
So that's how they are paying for hockey.

LIU last week fired 51 members of Local 153, which includes secretaries, library and mail clerks and audiovisual technicians, and extended “temporary” furloughs for another 33 members, according to John Edmonds, assistant business manager for the union.

The layoffs include 40 employees at CW Post and 44 at the Brooklyn campus, union officials said.

In total, 84 of the union's 93 members, making an average of $50,000 to $55,000 per year, lost their jobs and health insurance, officials said. Local 153 has filed a complaint against LIU with the National Labor Relations Board calling for their members’ jobs to be restored.

“It’s outrageous that they would fire many of these workers while getting a $7 million payout,” said John Turchiano, a union spokesman.

Eight members of the school's Professional Administrators Association, which includes library staff, financial aid and academic counselors and art, theater and music staffers, also were terminated, said Dan Heller, a union representative.

Janine Celauro of Wantagh, a secretary for LIU's campus radio station who was laid off after nearly 12 years, said it was "unconscionable" that the university left her without health insurance during a global health crisis.

"There was absolutely no reason for these layoffs," Celauro said. "They got the federal money. Tuition has already been paid. So where did the money go? It's inhumane."

Tim Regan of Levittown, who was fired after 15 years as an LIU audiovisual technician, said there had been a pattern of steep workforce cuts since Kimberly Cline became university president in 2013.

"She is looking at this as an opportunity to bust the union," he said of Cline, who locked out faculty from the Brooklyn campus in 2016 amid a contract dispute. "Cline is striking while the iron is hot to try and get rid of people that have been there for a long time."

Cline earned more than $1.1 million in total compensation from LIU, while 12 other administrators took in more than $300,000, according to the university’s 2017 tax filing.

Meanwhile, overall enrollment has dropped nearly 28%, from 20,261 students in 2012 to 14,608 in 2018, according to data from the state Education Department.
Students at LIU also have filed a federal lawsuit calling for the university to refund a portion of their tuition and housing costs for the spring semester.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
for the record I played for CW Post in the 90's. Club team. Had a ton of fun. I was the straw that stirred the drink. (in my own mind )

Funny, I was playing for Siena in the mid-90s and we played you guys a couple of times.

Did we actually suit up against each other?

Reactions: mm11

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
So, uh, who here is going to be applying for the coaching jobs?

And how many here think there'll be some ex-Isles getting involved???

Sounds like something you could see Weight getting involved with...

But seriously, maybe someone like Seidenberg?

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So, uh, who here is going to be applying for the coaching jobs?

And how many here think there'll be some ex-Isles getting involved???

Sounds like something you could see Weight getting involved with...

But seriously, maybe someone like Seidenberg?

Matt Carkner Steve Webb Names to keep an eye on.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So that's how they are paying for hockey.

Not necessarily. In today's day and age sports like Hockey and Lacrosse, to start at the D1 level are usually funded by a large alumni check. Look at Penn State hockey and Utah lacrosse as examples.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not necessarily. In today's day and age sports like Hockey and Lacrosse, to start at the D1 level are usually funded by a large alumni check. Look at Penn State hockey and Utah lacrosse as examples.

pegula kickstarted Penn State correct?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad