LIU adding D-1 Men's Hockey Program

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The team has started announcing recruits over the last few days. so a roster is beginning to come together now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The team has started announcing recruits over the last few days. so a roster is beginning to come together now.
Targeting a lot of Junior A 20 years old lads from Canada and depth NCAA players from other programmes. Gotta admit, doesn't look truly so bad for a team randomly coming together in a handful of months.

What do you lot think in terms of which potential conference do you see them joining in the future? Fortunately there are a lot of options considering they have ECAC, Hockey East, and Atlantic Hockey. ECAC seems like the best one considering how many universities are in New York and their headquarters are stationed in Albany. However, they already have an even number of teams and it seems that if UPenn ever decided to fund a team they would be the ones to join considering the Ivy League status and all that. Similar to ASU, LIU might think they are big enough for Hockey East, but HE themselves have an even number and might prefer to stay status quo. That simply leaves Atlantic Hockey and even though they have an odd number, LIU similar to ASU might think they might be too good for AH as ASU was to the WCHA. It's helpful though because there are many New York and Mass teams in the conference which should greatly benefit travel.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Well, they posted this today. If you pause at the beginning you can see the Northwell Health Ice Center logo at center ice. The Islanders own the facility but there has been a vacant team locker room/dry area leftover from the old LI Gulls 18U team. Seating capacity for about 1,000-1,500. By no means enough to break even on gate revenue pre-COVID but definitely in a central location to the multiple campuses the athletes will be utilizing.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Targeting a lot of Junior A 20 years old lads from Canada and depth NCAA players from other programmes. Gotta admit, doesn't look truly so bad for a team randomly coming together in a handful of months.

What do you lot think in terms of which potential conference do you see them joining in the future? Fortunately there are a lot of options considering they have ECAC, Hockey East, and Atlantic Hockey. ECAC seems like the best one considering how many universities are in New York and their headquarters are stationed in Albany. However, they already have an even number of teams and it seems that if UPenn ever decided to fund a team they would be the ones to join considering the Ivy League status and all that. Similar to ASU, LIU might think they are big enough for Hockey East, but HE themselves have an even number and might prefer to stay status quo. That simply leaves Atlantic Hockey and even though they have an odd number, LIU similar to ASU might think they might be too good for AH as ASU was to the WCHA. It's helpful though because there are many New York and Mass teams in the conference which should greatly benefit travel.
Likely they'll eventually find a home in one of the three eastern leagues, judging by what has been reported earlier this summer about their budget, Atlantic Hockey would likely be the best fit for them. But I think they'll have some conference options with their location, as well I personally think there will be a bit more shuffling of teams and conferences in college hockey over the next decade.

Well, they posted this today. If you pause at the beginning you can see the Northwell Health Ice Center logo at center ice. The Islanders own the facility but there has been a vacant team locker room/dry area leftover from the old LI Gulls 18U team. Seating capacity for about 1,000-1,500. By no means enough to break even on gate revenue pre-COVID but definitely in a central location to the multiple campuses the athletes will be utilizing.

If I'm correct I think that's where their women's team played most of their games this past season, other than a handful at Nassau Coliseum, so it makes sense they would start playing there as well. I'm not familiar with the arena or area, but from what videos and photos I've seen of that rink, it is a similar size of most Atlantic Hockey arenas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->