Little things about watching live hockey that you enjoy that others might not notice to much or care

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
They stopped ‘smoke breaks’ years ago in Toronto. Other arenas still allow it?
not sure brother. I don't have the opportunity to go to NHL games. The local team I go to has a smoking area outside. The crowds are f***ing awesome for a small city team. Obviously that will change with Covid

Reactions: ACC1224

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
The warm beer and cold nachos really make my night. That 15 minute walk to and from my $20 parking spot after a loss and the 45 minute drive just to get up the DVP ....ahh the memories

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Love watching the chess pieces in the neutral zone live at games that you often miss on TV. Guys coming off the bench at 100 MPH, exchanging lanes, the Defensemen trying to gap up and decide if to pinch and drift outside the dots or sag.

Also, love a good simple tip/chip play with speed. Like when a defenseman steps up on a winger at the line and the winger chips it off the boards and the center or other winger fills the lane and skates to the puck in stride. Like seeing that just as much if not more than a McDavid or MacKinnon carrying the puck coast to coast.

And just like watching the games live generally, of course. The speed of the game just isn't done justice watching on TV. And the closer to ice level you are, the faster it is and the more humbling it is realizing how insane these guys are and how well everyone skates.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Watching players with good playmaking and passing abilities.

Not necessarily good players on their respective team itself or even good players by NHL standards but players who can deliver constant good passes. I've always liked a good pass more than a beautiful goal. Not sure why though. Just stuck with me after playing hockey for almost 20 years.
Completely agree.

Back in the early 10’s, after not having been to a game in several years I attended a Tampa Bay Lightning game. Despite being in the tail end of his career, MSL’s command of the ice was incredible. It was like every time he stepped on the ice the whole dynamic changed; the ice tilted, everyone stepped up another gear, there was palpable shift in the opponent’s defensive tactic as they prepared for MSL’s zone entry and attempted to nullify his playmaking- with limited success. His quickness and ability to feed the puck so creatively really impacted the play, and only seeing it live could you fully realize this.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I like to keep an eye on how much energy/effort forwards use on defensive plays.. if a center skates back full speed from the other end just to make a perfect pass block at the last second I'm really impressed.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I like being able to see the goalies the whole time. You get a very limited view of what they do on tv, either when they make a save or play the puck behind the net. Other than that, they are never really on camera.

Its interesting to see them move around between whistles and when the play is at the other end. And yeah, Connor McDavid is nuts at ice level.

I could do without the obnoxious drunks, not talking about the random heckling and whatever. I mean the people that just go to the game to drink, going for like 2 or 3 drinks every period.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I'm actually not the biggest fan of watching hockey live. It's 99% the ridiculous cost I just can't justify though.

I actually do prefer the second bowl when I watch a game though. The first row of the second bowl (center ice hell yah!) would be my dream seats.
I feel I get a good sense of watching the play develop up higher. I can recognize a dangerous play etc.

I remember as a kid sitting right behind the net and that was definitely an experience. but one I'd enjoy the once.
I also sat behind the bench once thinking this was going to be awesome. Was the worst live experience I've ever had. I couldn't hear anything the coaches/players were saying (which was what I was pumped for). And the view was so obstructed by players and coaches that I pretty much ended watching the jumbotron the whole game. I thought to myself.. people pay 300 dollars to sit hear and watch this on t.v?

I'm not even sure I'd attend a lot more games if I was loaded. Maybe if I was rediculously loaded haha.
I'm a jaded Oiler fan though. That team has done nothing to earn my dollar in the last 10 years. I know friends and family that don't know what hfboards is... what Oilers Now is (the daily Oiler show). Don't know who we drafted. Don't know pretty much anything about the team other than who's playing on it. But they spend their hard earned dollars on season tickets. I'm actually grateful they do. If they all shared my feelings I don't think there'd be a team in Edmonton.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Why? You don't get enough profanity and other such nonsense low grade talk in the real world already?
oh lighten up. Do you have a swear jar in your house? It can be fun hearing what kind of stuff is being said to each other besides profanity. You dont think these guys joke with each other? If you're wondering why you dont goto many parties, your post provides a good reason.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I always liked going to games early to watch the warmup with the loud music in the background. This goes way back to when I was a kid. and standing by the glass watching Messier and them skate by. Now I like going and watching them work on their drills and their shots.

I wish some of these rinks would lighten up a bit and let fans specifically kids go down to the glass to watch warmups. Seems like the ushers are always checking tickets.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
oh lighten up. Do you have a swear jar in your house? It can be fun hearing what kind of stuff is being said to each other besides profanity. You dont think these guys joke with each other? If you're wondering why you dont goto many parties, your post provides a good reason.

There are already a lot of mic'd up videos and all they do is swear and and low grade insult each other. Oh no, if you think I have a swear jar (don't) or that I don't go to parties! You can have plenty of fun in life without needing to swear as 50% of your dialect as is the case with seemingly 50% of the people out there. Swear words aren't issue, it is that many people speak with half their language in it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
One time in Atlanta we got free tickets front row, right on the glass. They came out for warmups and one of the first shots hit the boards right in front of us. I was shocked at how loud it was, and it wasn't even a guy like Weber or Chara taking a slapshot. I think about that every time a player takes a puck to the face and how much it must hurt. These guys are crazy.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
This might not be a very popular opinion but heading straight towards my 40's I have learned to really enjoy sounds and smells much more in the past 10 years. Part of watching a game live isn't so much hockey related as it is sensory related. I love the buzz, I love the crowd, I love the smells of overpriced concession food.

Aside from that, when I go to a game in Manhattan it turns into a whole 3 to 4 day event for me given that I am not local and I usually bunk up in a hotel near Broadway or Times Square.

My bucket list includes taking my best friend, who I have known since I was 4 years old to MSG just to give him that same experience.

So yeah, nothing to do with "seeing cutting of lanes" or the "hidden tactical aspects of hockey". For me, a game is an emotional journey of senses.

I can't wait for COVID19 to be under control and get back to a sold out MSG.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
The one thing I always loved since I was young was the line changes.

It was so cool to see a sport where you could go out there, play with 100% intensity for a compact minute and another rested teammate would be able to tag in and take your place. It's such a badass display of teamwork lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->