Little Caesars Arena: An Arena vs. Parking Lots

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Big promises for a thriving urban core in Detroit vanish in a swath of parking lots

To quote:

"The arena, the Red Wings ice hockey team that plays there, and almost all the blighted property in the District share the same owner: Detroit’s billionaire Ilitch family. Their company hung the banners, but there’s growing frustration among many Detroiters over the discrepancy between the Ilitches’ imaginative marketing and the neighborhood’s stark reality.

Just down the street from LCA, Sean Swierkosz, general manager of the longstanding sports bar Harry’s, watched the Ilitches make progress, “but then it stalled”, he said. “I feel like I’m looking over the fence at my neighbor’s yard at his half-finished project or garage.”

The project began in 2013 when the Ilitches unveiled plans to revive the area between Detroit’s now-thriving mid- and downtowns. Their ambitious vision included a 50-block sports and entertainment neighborhood called The District Detroit, anchored by the 20,000-seat LCA. The Ilitches promised $200m in development around the arena, claiming new housing, stores, restaurants, bars and offices would bloom.

In recent years, Ilitch companies in and around The District leveled at least 30 buildings and currently maintain nearly 40 blighted or vacant structures. On blocks where historic buildings once stood, they have laid dozens of surface parking lots. Those are controversial because the Ilitches charge up to $50 per spot, and a vast stretch of once-dense downtown real estate is now a sea of Ilitch-owned parking spaces."

Source: www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/08/detroit-the-district-redevelopment-ilitch-companies

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
City of Detroit right now:

tenor.gif

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wow, that's an incredibly frustrating and depressing map. I'm sure a lot of those buildings were in disrepair, but ripping the heart out of the neighborhood for the sake of tax breaks?
I just posted it because it caught my eye-as it seem to have yours. I have nothing against the Ilitch family except their crappy pizza:laugh:

Some of these projects take years/a decade to materialize. I haven't any idea what is or is not in the works in this area. The terrible part is that people often get displaced without any pressing reason.

There is an area in Cincinnati (Rookwood) where the homes were deemed "blighted" in order to eminent domain them. The irony/hypocrisy was that the homes were no more "blighted" than 80% of the other homes in the much larger neighboring area. Ultimately the project came to full fruition, but it took a lot of time. Hopefully the same will happen in Detroit.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's gonna take a while. One of the interesting shifts I've read about recently is changing some planned residential plots and rehabs into offices/retail. Makes me wonder if they don't think sufficient residential demand exists at this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad