Little Caesars Arena: An Arena vs. Parking Lots

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Llama19, Oct 8, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Llama19

Llama19 Registered User

Big promises for a thriving urban core in Detroit vanish in a swath of parking lots

To quote:

"The arena, the Red Wings ice hockey team that plays there, and almost all the blighted property in the District share the same owner: Detroit’s billionaire Ilitch family. Their company hung the banners, but there’s growing frustration among many Detroiters over the discrepancy between the Ilitches’ imaginative marketing and the neighborhood’s stark reality.

Just down the street from LCA, Sean Swierkosz, general manager of the longstanding sports bar Harry’s, watched the Ilitches make progress, “but then it stalled”, he said. “I feel like I’m looking over the fence at my neighbor’s yard at his half-finished project or garage.”

The project began in 2013 when the Ilitches unveiled plans to revive the area between Detroit’s now-thriving mid- and downtowns. Their ambitious vision included a 50-block sports and entertainment neighborhood called The District Detroit, anchored by the 20,000-seat LCA. The Ilitches promised $200m in development around the arena, claiming new housing, stores, restaurants, bars and offices would bloom.

In recent years, Ilitch companies in and around The District leveled at least 30 buildings and currently maintain nearly 40 blighted or vacant structures. On blocks where historic buildings once stood, they have laid dozens of surface parking lots. Those are controversial because the Ilitches charge up to $50 per spot, and a vast stretch of once-dense downtown real estate is now a sea of Ilitch-owned parking spaces."

Source: www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/08/detroit-the-district-redevelopment-ilitch-companies

2. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

3. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

Wow, that's an incredibly frustrating and depressing map. I'm sure a lot of those buildings were in disrepair, but ripping the heart out of the neighborhood for the sake of tax breaks?

4. ArGarBarGar

ArGarBarGar Defense Please

City of Detroit right now:

[​IMG]

5. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

I just posted it because it caught my eye-as it seem to have yours. I have nothing against the Ilitch family except their crappy pizza:laugh:

Some of these projects take years/a decade to materialize. I haven't any idea what is or is not in the works in this area. The terrible part is that people often get displaced without any pressing reason.

There is an area in Cincinnati (Rookwood) where the homes were deemed "blighted" in order to eminent domain them. The irony/hypocrisy was that the homes were no more "blighted" than 80% of the other homes in the much larger neighboring area. Ultimately the project came to full fruition, but it took a lot of time. Hopefully the same will happen in Detroit.

6. mouser

mouser Business of Hockey

It's gonna take a while. One of the interesting shifts I've read about recently is changing some planned residential plots and rehabs into offices/retail. Makes me wonder if they don't think sufficient residential demand exists at this time.