Little Caesar’s Arena Changes Seat Colors,Due to Empty Seats

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It depends how it is done.

Say you have about 5000 unsold tickets each game. Take 3000 and give them to local schools. Take another 1000 and give them to a charity... the remaining, offer to season ticket holders (in pairs) as a thank you.... with each game you rotate schools, charitable organizations and season ticket holders.

As someone who has been a ticket manager (for a smaller organization) that is a logistics NIGHTMARE

Reactions: DaveG

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Every stadium with iffy attendance needs move to the BC Place model of seat colouring... stadium always looks more full than it is... always.

The randomness of it really helps...

57987a70a4bf6f8df6e3ca0572033277f61b9ddf_bcplace_2012_20120726_2950.jpg
This is genius.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
You also devalue your own brand and overall team value to give tickets away. Even to good causes.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I was told it is similar to TO with the lounge below, and this has been confirmed in this thread.

If the seats are sold the team should not worry about the way it looks on TV
I don't know what you mean by "Similar to TO".

I agree with you though, to an extent. If the tickets are sold they're not losing ticket sale revenue. But even though the tickets are sold, if less people are attending that means less people are buying concessions and/or merchandise and there is generally less interest in the team(s). I understand that there is a lounge, but it would be hard for me to believe that a big majority of people are buying tickets, going to the arena, and never going to their seats. Even just for the start of the game, or 2nd/3rd periods.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I don't know what you mean by "Similar to TO".

I agree with you though, to an extent. If the tickets are sold they're not losing ticket sale revenue. But even though the tickets are sold, if less people are attending that means less people are buying concessions and/or merchandise and there is generally less interest in the team(s). I understand that there is a lounge, but it would be hard for me to believe that a big majority of people are buying tickets, going to the arena, and never going to their seats. Even just for the start of the game, or 2nd/3rd periods.

Similar to TO in that people are in the building but not in their seat.

One of my best friend's works in the financial sector and has sat in those Leaf seats (lower bowl ). He has said you are there for business and networking, and if you are sitting in your seat the first 2 periods you are screwing up.

I don't know if that is the case in Detroit.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I think, the better idea would be to make the tickets cheaper. Then you have full house and nobody will see empty seats.
You got it!!!!! $150-$400 to watch a bloody game is too expensive... even the nosebleeds will cost an arm and a leg soon lol Oilers have season tickets you need to finance they so expensive (probably geared more to the big corporations)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The seats in the 3-4 sections on each side behind the benches and penalty boxes (the ones most visible on tv), are club seats that cost hundreds of dollars, are sold to corporations, and have free beer & food in a lounge underneath the seats during the game. They are really trying their hardest to NOT have people in the seats.

That's a much bigger problem in getting people in the seats than people not going because the team isn't that good. Such a terrible idea
then put the camera on that side and show the "filled" non club seats.

or not.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
A lot of miss guided or just flat out wrong info in this thread! 1st they did not remove "Hockeytown" logo. They redone it in block letters. 2nd the reason for the color change is due to keep the NBA and the Pistons happy. And I was one calling them out for the poor sales of seats.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
A lot of miss guided or just flat out wrong info in this thread! 1st they did not remove "Hockeytown" logo. They redone it in block letters. 2nd the reason for the color change is due to keep the NBA and the Pistons happy. And I was one calling them out for the poor sales of seats.

If they didn't remove "Hockeytown" from the center ice logo, they should have as the Wings have such an iconic logo and the word script running through it detracts from the overall look. It would look much better if it looked like the picture below.

c3fa01ec-d06f-4213-9351-3c0fcde66787-logo.JPG

:jets

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
It was indeed very noticeable on TV in the games I watched last season and this preseason. Kind of sad. I don't know how much black seats would make it any better.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Detroit and Michigan in general is a mess right now. The ticket prices don't help matters. The team starts having a little bit of success and the fans will come back. In a poor state the absence will be a lot more noticeable because people don't have as much disposable or patience to spend their hard earned money on a poor team.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Detroit and Michigan in general is a mess right now. The ticket prices don't help matters. The team starts having a little bit of success and the fans will come back. In a poor state the absence will be a lot more noticeable because people don't have as much disposable or patience to spend their hard earned money on a poor team.
Detroit and Michigan are just fine.

As far as disposable income, I could afford sporting events. But there's much better things I'd spend several hundreds of dollars on when I can watch at home for free... and I don't even have 2-3 kids to pay for...and that has nothing to do with the quality of the team

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Detroit and Michigan are just fine.

As far as disposable income, I could afford sporting events. But there's much better things I'd spend several hundreds of dollars on when I can watch at home for free... and I don't even have 2-3 kids to pay for...and that has nothing to do with the quality of the team

You just said it yourself, you would rather spend a couple of hundred dollars on something else, which means the team is not good enough to justify the price, therefore even you who could afford to go agree that the money is not worth it. Maybe you would think differently if they were favored to win it all this year?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

keep them happy because as stated in the thread empty red seats stand out.

The color itself clearly is not an issue for the Pistons, considering their main colors are red and blue.

same as the Wings, they dont want the embarrassment of a sea of empty seats on their broadcasts

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
You just said it yourself, you would rather spend a couple of hundred dollars on something else, which means the team is not good enough to justify the price, therefore even you who could afford to go agree that the money is not worth it. Maybe you would think differently if they were favored to win it all this year?
I would not. There is no team good enough to justify the price when free is an option.

This is not new for me.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I would not. There is no team good enough to justify the price when free is an option.

This is not new for me.

Do you have illegal cable or something? You still pay for a tv, cable, internet, snacks to watch the game. In a years time you will have spent more money on those things that would equal about maybe 3 or 4 hockey games, possibly more. Sorry to be nitpicky lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad