Little break from the proposal discussions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
I used to be a part of this site below, and from time to time I check back just for the hell of it. There are a handful of people there (literally) that I came to respect. The author of this piece is one of them.

I don't agree with all of his opinions. He has never agreed with all of mine. Different strokes. But we've always had respect for what the other has to say; that does mean quite a bit.

Make of this what you will, I expect nothing less than genuine honesty.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4939

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
cw7 said:
I used to be a part of this site below, and from time to time I check back just for the hell of it. There are a handful of people there (literally) that I came to respect. The author of this piece is one of them.

I don't agree with all of his opinions. He has never agreed with all of mine. Different strokes. But we've always had respect for what the other has to say; that does mean quite a bit.

Make of this what you will, I expect nothing less than genuine honesty.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4939

With regards to 1st one, yes it is voluntary to join the NHLPA and yes the NHLPA may force a player to pay the fee even if they don't join. If the player was paying 100% of the union fee then the union has to justify the amount, so that means the player would likely be able to claim his share of the unions benefits (ie retirement plans etc). If the union wants to cut him out of these it has to reduce the amount charged accordingly.

Well that is how it normally works in a lot of areas.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
me2 said:
With regards to 1st one, yes it is voluntary to join the NHLPA and yes the NHLPA may force a player to pay the fee even if they don't join. If the player was paying 100% of the union fee then the union has to justify the amount, so that means the player would likely be able to claim his share of the unions benefits (ie retirement plans etc). If the union wants to cut him out of these it has to reduce the amount charged accordingly.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Well that is how it normally works in a lot of areas.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Seriously, why did you post this when none of it was true?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Personally, I got as far as his 'svengali' crack before giving up. If he can't keep personal dislike for one of the principals out of his analysis that early in his argument... well, it doesn't bode well for an even-handed discussion.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Drake1588 said:
Personally, I got as far as his 'svengali' crack before giving up. If he can't keep personal dislike for one of the principals out of his analysis that early in his argument... well, it doesn't bode well for an even-handed discussion.

The whole post was absurd, and amateur-ish. An insight free zone. I'm glad he's identified 2.5 million in potential savings through elimination per diems. That should just about do the trick...hockey by the end of next week?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
mudcrutch79 said:
The whole post was absurd, and amateur-ish. An insight free zone. I'm glad he's identified 2.5 million in potential savings through elimination per diems. That should just about do the trick...hockey by the end of next week?

LOL I agree. $3m across the entire league is $100K per team. M'eh, it barely rates.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Um, it's way more than that. Like most, he completely blew the math. You don't get per diems only on game day. You get it *every* day you're away from home. Even on the travel days if you leave before noon etc, if you read it. http://www.nhlcbanews.com/cba/article19.html
Note they still get it even if you feed them on the airplane or bus, etc.

So, assuming half the season is spent on the road, that's around 3 months. Therefore, the math should be more like 90 days * $85 * 23 players or so = $175 grand per team, or around $5.25 million for the league. That's just regular season, playoffs would add another million or so, won't bother to do the math.

Though small, it is ridiculous. It's a holdover from the 50's.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
PecaFan said:
Um, it's way more than that. Like most, he completely blew the math. You don't get per diems only on game day. You get it *every* day you're away from home. Even on the travel days if you leave before noon etc, if you read it. http://www.nhlcbanews.com/cba/article19.html
Note they still get it even if you feed them on the airplane or bus, etc.

So, assuming half the season is spent on the road, that's around 3 months. Therefore, the math should be more like 90 days * $85 * 23 players or so = $175 grand per team, or around $5.25 million for the league. That's just regular season, playoffs would add another million or so, won't bother to do the math.

Though small, it is ridiculous. It's a holdover from the 50's.

Its not that bad, check out what many firms pay for travel and food. $85 a day for food is above normal but far from exhorbitant.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wow what a great Pro-owner article. I stopped reading it half way through when he talked about IRBE on the players board...so he is a backup goalie...that means he doesnt know buisness or hes NOT allowed to since hes only a backup goalie? What a joke that article was.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Wow what a great Pro-owner article. I stopped reading it half way through when he talked about IRBE on the players board...so he is a backup goalie...that means he doesnt know buisness or hes NOT allowed to since hes only a backup goalie? What a joke that article was.

Unlike the "informed" and "un-biased" views often seen here? They never slam certain people for little or no reason, now do they?

Parts of the article were over the top, sure. He's a fan with an opinion, what do you expect? The ultimate in objectivity, not even close. And if you'd like, you can relay your sentiments to the author. I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss his writing with you (that's a not so subtle hint that he'll give you much more of a rough time than I will, just wanted to make sure you got that).

Many of the posts here have good intentions, many of them are still a joke. For some of us, using that line carries little weight.

"People who live in glass houses..."

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
me2 said:
Its not that bad, check out what many firms pay for travel and food. $85 a day for food is above normal but far from exhorbitant.

The difference being, we're talking about multi-millionaires, vs some average joe making $50 grand a year.

It's a perk that was given to them when hockey players *were* average joes, and actually needed per diems to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->