Little and the Olympics

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I mentioned in another thread if he played in Toronto the drum beat would be deafening.
That said I don't think he will, or maybe even should.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If Little was a natural winger I think he would have a decent chance. However, Canada's depth at centre is just too much to overcome.

As an FYI, little is currently sitting 20th in NHL scoring but 8th among Canadians.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
With Stammer going down they should at least consider it.

With that said, I don't think it will happen. Little for my money is one of the most underrated 2 way players in the league. Even before he got red hot he just does everything right, and he is extremely consistent. How many Jets have avoided criticism on this board?

Pretty much just Little afaic.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
This is almost as bad as the Gallagher to the Olympics post on the main boards.

Think of all the Centre depth Canada has and how tough it's going to be pick only 4-6 of them. Little is far from being considered.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Think of all the Centre depth Canada has and how tough it's going to be pick only 4-6 of them. Little is far from being considered.

I was thinking more of a winger. Having a centre who has scored playing wing is a feather in Team Canada's cap. he can jump in take draws and fill in if needed.

Still don't think it's gonna happen but it's not a bad idea

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Yeah, it would definitely be as a defensive player with speed on the wing. I don't think it will happen either, but put Ladd and Little on either side of someone, and you have a pretty damn good 4th line, and a very good PK pairing to boot.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, it would definitely be as a defensive player with speed on the wing. I don't think it will happen either, but put Ladd and Little on either side of someone, and you have a pretty damn good 4th line, and a very good PK pairing to boot.

Exactly. A guy who takes care of his own end but can be deadly when getting a scoring chance could really be a nice weapon for TC

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Born in the wrong country. He'd make any other team but he has no chance of making Team Canada. Team Canada is not going to bring someone with a ~50ish game streak as a #1 center to the Olympics. Little has only played for Canada at the U-18's. That's it. Team Canada likes Team Canada players, if anyone has a chance of making it on the team it's Ladd.

TSN was talking about this yesterday, they asked who was flying under the rader of consideration and they all said Ladd. Mckenzie then said that Ladd may have a chance in a role similar to Morrow in 2010, that it didn't sound like TC was thinking about him.

If he steps up his play a little, at least back-up to last seasons level, then I think he'll make a chance. Ladd is more of a TC guy, won Gold at the World Juniors and played in three WCs. I agree that Little has been as good as Ladd this year, but Ladd has all those intangibles that they might use to justify him. Two-way big forward, natural winger, can PK quite well, team Captain, 2x Cup Champ ect.

I hope Ladd makes it that'd be great, but I doubt it personally. Little has no chance imo, though he's no less deserving than Ladd this year. I think Wheeler's slow start may have cost him a spot on the US team. Unless they want him as a bottom 6 player I don't see them taking him to play top 6. Hopefully he can step it up too, I really wanted to see him play on big ice with Stastny. I remember the glowing reports from the lockout

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I'm sure I'm in a super small minority, but I hope he doesn't make the Olympic team. In fact I hope none of the Jets do.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I don't think there's room for Little on Team Canada, our country bares the burden of having too many good hockey players... :sarcasm:

I mean, Little certainly wouldn't make the team worse and would make the Olympics on a lot of the other countries, but it's really more of a numbers issue than a skill issue. There's not enough spots to fit him in, definitely not at center, and there are players who have more playing time on the wing with equal or greater talent to pick up.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Born in the wrong country. He'd make any other team but he has no chance of making Team Canada. Team Canada is not going to bring someone with a ~50ish game streak as a #1 center to the Olympics. Little has only played for Canada at the U-18's. That's it. Team Canada likes Team Canada players, if anyone has a chance of making it on the team it's Ladd.

TSN was talking about this yesterday, they asked who was flying under the rader of consideration and they all said Ladd. Mckenzie then said that Ladd may have a chance in a role similar to Morrow in 2010, that it didn't sound like TC was thinking about him.

If he steps up his play a little, at least back-up to last seasons level, then I think he'll make a chance. Ladd is more of a TC guy, won Gold at the World Juniors and played in three WCs. I agree that Little has been as good as Ladd this year, but Ladd has all those intangibles that they might use to justify him. Two-way big forward, natural winger, can PK quite well, team Captain, 2x Cup Champ ect.

I hope Ladd makes it that'd be great, but I doubt it personally. Little has no chance imo, though he's no less deserving than Ladd this year. I think Wheeler's slow start may have cost him a spot on the US team. Unless they want him as a bottom 6 player I don't see them taking him to play top 6. Hopefully he can step it up too, I really wanted to see him play on big ice with Stastny. I remember the glowing reports from the lockout

He played on the 2007 WJC team with Toews. Scored in that crazy shoot-out, and in the gold medal game. Have been a fan of Bryan since he played in Barrie. (my home town). I don't see any chance of him making it, but if they are going to get crazy and start tossing in Hall, Eberle, Benn in the mix, not saying they have, but people on the HF have. Little should be in that mix as well. He does it all, scores goals, sets up goals, and is great on the PK and defensively. And I think when picking a team like that, you go with who is hot right now, someone like Giroux if he keeps it up, no chance. Go with guys that have been great the first 30-40 games or whatever. Keeping in mind you are not going to ever keep off a player like Crosby or Toews. In conclusion don't think he is even being discussed, if he played last year like he is now, as well, he may have been in the mix. But Little has always been insanely underrated, and goes under the rador. He should have been on about 2-3 WC teams by now, but is never even in discussion for that.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Absolutely no chance. Team Canada is insanely stacked. As some one else said, any other passport and he'd probably be Sochi bound but for Canada no way. I think there will be at least 3 or 4 forwards that are clearly better than Little that don't make it either.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Absolutely no chance. Team Canada is insanely stacked. As some one else said, any other passport and he'd probably be Sochi bound but for Canada no way. I think there will be at least 3 or 4 forwards that are clearly better than Little that don't make it either.

Especially considering that Little is shooting well above his average. The dude is one of the few Jets who brings it every night, though.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I'm sure I'm in a super small minority, but I hope he doesn't make the Olympic team. In fact I hope none of the Jets do.

I'm with you. They should take a break and get healthy so they can do the job they are paid to do.

People talking about Stamkos coming back early to play in the Olympics piss me off.
Should be, okay you can play in the Olympics bt if you are injured we aren't paying your salary until you can play at 100% again.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Just for those who say TC is insanely stacked, I would have to ask why they feel that way. I don't see the upcoming team as strong as 2002 or 2010. There is goaltending issues and Staal and Giroux have been terrible this year. These guys are normally locks for the team. Then the Stamkos injury.\Throw in the international ice surface issue and I see a team more like 2006 than the gold medal winning teams. I truly hope I am wrong but my enthusiasm for the Olympics is pretty muted this year.

On the right side the only lock for the team is Corey Perry. Why can't Little play the right wing? As great as he has been, there is not a 'stacked' right side for him to compete with. The other right wingers I would have picked were Stamkos to play with Crosby and Bergeron to play on a line with Toews. It's thinner there now.

I would have to put the top 4 centers as Crosby, Toews, Bergeron and Getzlaf. Tavares can play the left side.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Just for those who say TC is insanely stacked, I would have to ask why they feel that way. I don't see the upcoming team as strong as 2002 or 2010. There is goaltending issues and Staal and Giroux have been terrible this year. These guys are normally locks for the team. Then the Stamkos injury.\Throw in the international ice surface issue and I see a team more like 2006 than the gold medal winning teams. I truly hope I am wrong but my enthusiasm for the Olympics is pretty muted this year.

On the right side the only lock for the team is Corey Perry. Why can't Little play the right wing? As great as he has been, there is not a 'stacked' right side for him to compete with. The other right wingers I would have picked were Stamkos to play with Crosby and Bergeron to play on a line with Toews. It's thinner there now.

I would have to put the top 4 centers as Crosby, Toews, Bergeron and Getzlaf. Tavares can play the left side.

You can build a roster of players that are top line forwards and top pairing defencemen, that's why Team Canada is stacked.

There are only 6 Canadian goalies with a .930 save percentage or better as of today, only one of them (Price) is likely being considered for the Olympic team.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Sure, compared to two of the greatest teams to ever be assembled in the history of international hockey this team is not stacked. Compared to their competition, they are insanely stacked. There will probably be 3 or 4 players left off Team Canada that would be first line/pairing on all but one or two teams in the tournament.

As far as the way Team Canada stacks up, I think it is unlikely Bergeron gets played at center. He'll take a lot of faceoffs, but skate on the right side. I'd say Crosby, Toews, and Thornton are locks at center. The last center spot will go to Getzlaf, Tavares, or Staal. Staal may be left off the team altogether, but the other two will be on but could be shifted to wing. After that Perry, Bergeron and a presumably healthy Nash are locks. So that is at least 8 spots locked in (assuming Staal doesn't make it). In the 4 remaining slots, St. Louis seems pretty probable, especially given the big ice. Sharp also seems likely, at worst as a 13th or 14th guy. Then you end up with a group of Couture, Duchene, Giroux that if they produce in the next few months will probably be there.

Then there's a group of Richards and Staal who were there last time, plus less likely guys like Seguin, Benn, Lucic, Ladd, Neal, Carter, Marleau, recovered Stamkos. So best case scenario Little slots into that group, for the sake of argument, maybe even at the top end. But that is like 9 guys or so, for 1, 2, or 3 spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->