Literally, the "Locker Room" made us soft?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
https://www.architectmagazine.com/p...abres-team-dressing-room-first-niagara-center

I'm mostly joking but ever notice this team has sucked since Pegula renovated and started pampering these guys.

Obviously, it's not the reason but it's just seems this team is too soft and too comfortable. The Locker Room is more a metaphor for the team than anything else.

Obviously, we want players to have the best training but we need to shake up this team and give it some edge. I'm all over trading some guys like Reinhart or whoever to shake up that world.

Short of that, let's put a WRESTLING PIT where the logo sits and have these guys fight for lineup spots.

This is all in jest. I think.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If that were the case, nearly every team in the league would be bad. Nearly every team has posh accommodations for its players.

People seem to forget the sorry state of the franchise when the Pegula's arrived.

The scouting department was the worst funded in the league. Relying on video scouting, and the results at the draft showed. They went from a president's trophy team to a bubble playoff team over night, and nothing was done to fix it.

Putting in the newer locker room was symbolic and widely publicized, attempting to show that the Pegula's were committed to making buffalo "Hockey Heaven" and were attempting to change the dynamic.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If that were the case, nearly every team in the league would be bad. Nearly every team has posh accommodations for its players.

People seem to forget the sorry state of the franchise when the Pegula's arrived.

The scouting department was the worst funded in the league. Relying on video scouting, and the results at the draft showed. They went from a president's trophy team to a bubble playoff team over night, and nothing was done to fix it.

Putting in the newer locker room was symbolic and widely publicized, attempting to show that the Pegula's were committed to making buffalo "Hockey Heaven" and were attempting to change the dynamic.

I get the symbolism -- although we do have one of the most posh locker rooms in league. It's really done sweet F all to bring guys here. I don't think we suck because of a locker room but the symbolism might point to a general no pressure environment that has come with the Pegulas where players are worshipped and not really held accountable.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
https://www.architectmagazine.com/p...abres-team-dressing-room-first-niagara-center

I'm mostly joking but ever notice this team has sucked since Pegula renovated and started pampering these guys.

Obviously, it's not the reason but it's just seems this team is too soft and too comfortable. The Locker Room is more a metaphor for the team than anything else.

Obviously, we want players to have the best training but we need to shake up this team and give it some edge. I'm all over trading some guys like Reinhart or whoever to shake up that world.

Short of that, let's put a WRESTLING PIT where the logo sits and have these guys fight for lineup spots.

This is all in jest. I think.

Didn't he take things out of the room, or was that a coach, when they were not playing inspiring hockey? I think it was part of the Vanek/Roy/Pommers group.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The OP is thinking like the average Joe being treated this way and not thinking like an athlete.

Sorry for not being a pampered athlete who makes $3.5 M a year and can't try for 60 minutes. This is a soft, soft team. I said it was mostly in jest. You can't just take privileges away from athletes like they are children. Can you?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Luxury makes you weak, for sure.

But sometimes weak is just weak.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

The Sabres have seen more than their fair share of weak men and hard times. Don't think the locker room amenities have much to do with it.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Reading how players like Eichel prep for games, it concerns me the team isn’t taking enough of a proactive role in teaching and providing nutrition. There’s more pampering that could be done

Why players like Lehner can have cramps from coffee drank just before a game, or the whole being hungover all the time thing, is a little bit beyond acceptable.

I am not saying the team should dictate a diet, etc (PA would never go for it, nor should they), but that doesn’t mean they can’t be more proactive about offering the opportunity to the guys

Member 308457

It's my opinion that the $10 million lockerroom created an atmosphere of softness and entitlement, especially when filled with mediocre players.

Reactions: Royisgone

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Reading how players like Eichel prep for games, it concerns me the team isn’t taking enough of a proactive role in teaching and providing nutrition. There’s more pampering that could be done

Why players like Lehner can have cramps from coffee drank just before a game, or the whole being hungover all the time thing, is a little bit beyond acceptable.

I am not saying the team should dictate a diet, etc (PA would never go for it, nor should they), but that doesn’t mean they can’t be more proactive about offering the opportunity to the guys

The Sabres provide plenty of those services. The question is whether players take it seriously or not.

As far as coffee before a game, that is something that tons of players do throughout the league. Eichel has his usual pre-game coffee order that he gets on the way to the rink.

As long as they are drinking enough water the rest of the day, the caffeine intake can have positive performance impacts.

Guentzel changes lifestyle to excel for Penguins entering playoffs

At the end of the day, the players have to make the consistent day in and day out choices to be the best that they can be.

The team can't mandate that stuff.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm

considering the effect of biosolids/metals and pathogens in many restaurants foods veggies etc..and supermarkets, the horrible inflammatory effect from gmo concerning concussion and fluorine derivatives in water based foods as well as glyphosphate on fruit I would agree...

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
considering the effect of biosolids/metals and pathogens in many restaurants foods veggies etc..and supermarkets, the horrible inflammatory effect from gmo concerning concussion and fluorine derivatives in water based foods as well as glyphosphate on fruit I would agree...

Careful, overdoing parody doesn't work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad