List some of your favourite moments of "heart" and "toughness"

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
first of all, kudos to big phil for this thread. it's great that this isnt a top 5 or top 10. no one is saying "xxy and it's not even close" or "LOLwut, no xyy? disgrace." we're just remembering great moments that meant something to us.

my favourite:

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=453227

i can't remember who this was or what the specifics were, but recently in the playoffs (i think) someone broke his ankle (i think) blocking a shot on the PK, but play went on. guy crawls along the ice until he is in front of the net and the ref has to stop the play. i think cherry ended up showing this a few times on coach's corner.

tommygunn

Dec 2, 2008
For several years now, the flights of Bobby Hull have been more and more turbulent. Ever since he started averaging 50 goals a year, in 1966, the superstar of the Chicago Black Hawks has been acquiring more than the usual number of stitches, sprains and fractures from those straining to stop him. This year—though it may well be his finest ever—is certainly among the most painful. The leading National Hockey League goal scorer and point getter is playing with a broken jaw.

.....So Hull continues to play with an injury that would sideline many hockey players. Bobby's current state, in fact, reminds one of the 1963 Stanley Cup playoffs, during which he played with a nose so severely smashed that the fracture extended into his skull. With the Hawks one game from elimination, Hull ignored the orders of his doctors, checked out of a Chicago hospital and flew by himself to Detroit. That night—with both eyes blackened, his nose encased in tape and blood draining into his throat—he played against the Red Wings. He scored three goals and an assist, but even that heroic effort was not enough to avert a 7-4 Chicago loss.

Gary Ronberg, Sports Illustrated January 20, 1969

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Sami Kapanen after a tremendous hit by Tucker comes to mind.

O. Jokinen getting a whole lot of stitches one time when playing with Florida - didn't keep him off the ice.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Gary Ronberg, Sports Illustrated January 20, 1969

Hull broke his jaw on Christmas day, 1968. He missed the next game on Dec. 28, 1968 against the Minnesota North Stars and then played the next few weeks with his jaw wired shut and drinking his meals through a straw.

It stands out for me, because I was an emergency replacement linesman and worked the game that he missed against the Stars.

IggyFan12

Jul 26, 2010
Iggy in 2004 Playoffs was a beast but in Game 7 against the Cannucks it was his best game of his life. After scoring two goals on great plays (Especially the 2nd goal wow) he is on the ice and misses an open net for the trick and the series victory and the Cannucks go down and score to tie the game with less than 10 seconds to go. Instead of sulking or complaining of a jersey thrown on the ice or a slashing of his stick (which caused him to trip and be out of position) he rallies the team and assists in the series winning goal less than 2 minutes into OT.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
To get some perspective.
Colorado Avalanche players went to bed Wednesday filled with happy thoughts of a Game 7 win and the ongoing pursuit of the Stanley Cup, but they awakened to learn that teammate Peter Forsberg had faced a potentially life-threatening ordeal as they slept.

Forsberg had his spleen removed during an emergency 2-hour surgery at Rose Medical Center at 3:15 a.m. Thursday. Doctors performed the operation after Forsberg complained of crippling pain in the left side of his abdomen a couple hours after the Avs beat Los Angeles, 5-1.

Forsberg had suffered a ruptured or lacerated spleen and was suffering from internal bleeding. The Avs said they do not know what hit - or combination of hits - might have caused the injury.

It ends the season of Colorado's leading postseason scorer, but doctors and team officials are optimistic that Forsberg will play hockey again - maybe as early as next season.

Bob Hartley: "In the morning of the 7th game against the Devils in the Stanley Cup Finals, Forsberg waited for me in my office at 8:30.
He literally begged me to allow him to return for the final game."

"Without delay, I communicated with my general manager, Pierre Lacroix, and the team's doctors. But they refused to allow Forsberg to play. According to the doctors, Forsberg could've died on the rink if we allowed him to play that day.
It was way too risky but we thanked Forsberg for being such a warrior."

Grinder89

Aug 20, 2010
patrick thoresen, then wtih the flyers blocked a shot with his manhood and suffered a ruptured testicle with severe bruising. He almost had to have his testicle removed! If my memory serves me correct he returned for the next game or the one after that.

This is not a fun experience, during my minor hockey experience in my mid teens I was skating to the bench for a line change when I dump in nailed me in the back of my "bag". I had to go to the doctor when the swelling and pain was too much!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->