List of oldest former NHL players

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
just did some reacsearch its 99 year old Al Suomi played for chicago in the mid 30s

Interesting... for the life of me I cant remember the guys name, but there was a former Montreal Canadien who was still alive & kicking in Ottawa up until about a decade ago who was pushing 100 & still skating on the Rideau Canal. Had a funny nickname... anyhoo, Red Horner was 95 (09-05) & Mush March 93 (09-02).

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Interesting... for the life of me I cant remember the guys name, but there was a former Montreal Canadien who was still alive & kicking in Ottawa up until about a decade ago who was pushing 100 & still skating on the Rideau Canal. Had a funny nickname... anyhoo, Red Horner was 95 (09-05) & Mush March 93 (09-02).
You are probably thinking of Joliat though he died at age 84 in 1986.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You are probably thinking of Joliat though he died at age 84 in 1986.

... ya, thats the guy. And I guess I saw that blurb on CBC about him a lot more than
10yrs ago huh?. What happens when you get older. Decades blurr, time speeds up. :cry:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I remember my old great great granduncle Leroy Goldsworthy being pretty old when he died. He played from 1925-1942.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1954

Edit: Did a google search, and turns out my toddler/early childhood memories are wrong. He died at 71. I guess that seemed ancient to me at the time lol.

He was a cool old cat. Also played professional golf. His son, my great uncle, I remember telling me that he was he first rookie to ever play his first game in the NHL in a playoff game. I don't know if that is right, but if anywhere on HF would know, it would be this subforum.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I remember my old great great granduncle Leroy Goldsworthy being pretty old when he died. He played from 1925-1942.

Interesting career. Hailed from Minnesota huh?. All over the map. Longevity as a player,
some fascinating stops, eye witness to a lot of history. Any relation to the other Goldsworthy's?.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Interesting career. Hailed from Minnesota huh?. All over the map. Longevity as a player,
some fascinating stops, eye witness to a lot of history. Any relation to the other Goldsworthy's?.

Distant cousins I believe. To be honest I'd have to do some digging. Unfortunately his son passed away a few years ago, and he was the closet I was to the Goldsworthy branch of the family.

Sports seem to be in the Goldsworthy blood though. Most of the family members I've met that still bear the name play some form of professional sport, or at the very least made it as far as NCAA.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I was just looking into notable retired NHLers and this is what I can tell....out of NHL players who were at least good (meaning not necessarily HOFers but fairly good players), these are the ones who retired as of or before 1960 and are still alive (meaning not necessarily the oldest but the longest since retirement):

Wally Stanowski (retired in 1951)
Elmer Lach
Milt Schmidt
Edgar Laprade
Marty Pavelich
Gus Mortson
Johnny Peirson
Fleming Mackell (retired in 1960)

The first three were born in 1918/19 and the rest after '25. I don't know if I'm missing any. I'm sure there are more like Suomi but these are the ones I thought were notable, correct me if I'm wrong or missing any. Emile Bouchard passed away last year.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The first three were born in 1918/19 and the rest after '25. I don't know if I'm missing any...

Ya, looks about right. One omission though....

Picture+36.png

wasnt this guy the oldest & latest to retire from playing,
eclipsing even Gordie Howe? Signed to a 'C Form' in 37
by Red Dutton of the Amerc's. Traded to his hometown
of Chicago for Jack Shill.... finally hung em up in what, 09?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Al Suomi, oldest former NHLer at 99 years old. At his current age, he's probably a bigger goal-scoring threat than Tyler Kennedy.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Al Suomi, oldest former NHLer at 99 years old. At his current age, he's probably a bigger goal-scoring threat than Tyler Kennedy.

Definitely a bigger threat than Justin Abdelkader. I bet if you put Suomi out with Datsyuk he could score a goal.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I mailed a custom hockey card to get signed by Mr. Wally Stanowski along with Edgar Laprade since neither had one showing their full career year by year stats. They're both 93 I think and were great NHLers...Laprade is actually in the HOF.

Anyways, I was quite happy when they both sigend and returned it fairly quickly. Nice to see more and more NHLers live past their 80s now...a lot of these fellows did a tonne of hard labour and tough jobs in unsafe conditions while or after they played.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
RIP Albert Suomi

I think this belongs to Don Willson now

Elmer Lach is the oldest living now. Don Willson died back in 1967-his death seems to have slipped through the cracks and was only uncovered around a year ago by a few researchers from the SIHR (Society for International Hockey Research) including myself. Aubuchon is also deceased.

The top 10 oldest living players now are:

Elmer Lach (96)
Milt Schmidt (96)
John Mahaffy (96)
Wally Stanowski (95)
Ed Barry (95)
Bob Fillion (94)
Chick Webster (94)
Jim Conacher (93)
Paul Gladu (93)
Leo Reise, Jr. (92)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Elmer Lach and Milt Schmidt are both legends. I'm glad they're still around. You'd think CBC or some documentary-maker would talk to Lach, in particular, about centering young Maurice Richard and Montreal in the 40s in general. I just say this because while I've seen Milt Schmidt on countless TV programs, I've never seen Elmer Lach. Maybe he just keeps a low profile.

(On another note, my Grandfather died last week at age 99. Last winter, my Great-Grandmother also went -- at age 107.)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Elmer Lach and Milt Schmidt are both legends. I'm glad they're still around. You'd think CBC or some documentary-maker would talk to Lach, in particular, about centering young Maurice Richard and Montreal in the 40s in general. I just say this because while I've seen Milt Schmidt on countless TV programs, I've never seen Elmer Lach. Maybe he just keeps a low profile.

(On another note, my Grandfather died last week at age 99. Last winter, my Great-Grandmother also went -- at age 107.)

My condolences Panther. 99's long Innings huh? My Grandad lived to the same, then went fast. Sharp as a tack, no health issues.... and ya. Elmer Lach. Ive seen the odd bit in the papers, the odd clip but very brief. Guy like that, must have an awful lot of stories, anecdotal & otherwise inf to share. Theres a classic full color picture of him sitting in his stall at the Forum, dressed, ready to play... his hair was perfect. :D

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
My condolences Panther. 99's long Innings huh? My Grandad lived to the same, then went fast. Sharp as a tack, no health issues.... and ya. Elmer Lach. Ive seen the odd bit in the papers, the odd clip but very brief. Guy like that, must have an awful lot of stories, anecdotal & otherwise inf to share. Theres a classic full color picture of him sitting in his stall at the Forum, dressed, ready to play... his hair was perfect. :D

I think I saw something on CBC's website on Lach a few years back. I think he just keeps a low profile. Not too many of the 90+ players are that visible tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->