List of oldest former NHL players

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
It was mentioned that Lorne Carr was the oldest former NHLer when he passed away recently at age 96. Out of curiosity, who are/were the oldest former NHL players? Did anybody make it to 100?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm not sure who's the oldest but there's some guy named Chelios playing in the NHL right now and.....................

Anyways I'm going to name off a few now. Elmer Lach was born Jan. 1918. He's 89 right now. There's nothing I've heard indicating him dying. Imagine the stories he'd tell.

Milt Schmidt was born March 1918. He's 89 as well. If anyone can remember the last time Boston won the Cup before Orr arrived it would be him.

Others like Ted Kennedy, Johnny Bower, Ted Lindsay are all alive and well as far as I know.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'm not sure who's the oldest but there's some guy named Chelios playing in the NHL right now and.....................

Anyways I'm going to name off a few now. Elmer Lach was born Jan. 1918. He's 89 right now. There's nothing I've heard indicating him dying. Imagine the stories he'd tell.

Milt Schmidt was born March 1918. He's 89 as well. If anyone can remember the last time Boston won the Cup before Orr arrived it would be him.

Others like Ted Kennedy, Johnny Bower, Ted Lindsay are all alive and well as far as I know.

Gordie will be around at 100 for sure. If he is, he will no doubt be planning a comeback...

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I was at a Habs-Bruins game this year where Elmer Lach (age 89) and Emile 'Butch' Bouchard (age 86) where introduced among others. It was amazing seeing them walk out on to the ice knowing they were playing with the team as early as 1941, they seemed to have almost an aura around them of hockey history.

Last edited:

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Clint Smith is 93 and has been a regular at Canuck home games in recent years.

Canadarocks

Sep 16, 2005
For awhile I've been trying to find the oldest hall of famer. The oldest I found was Elmer Lach. Are there any who are older?

ETA: I didn't know Clint Smith was in the Hall of Fame (I'd never even heard of him) so I guess he wins for now.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In the last 4 years we've seen 3 or 4 ex-players pass away who were the oldest NHL alums for a brief time. I wonder if anyone has a timeline of who they were and their ages... Palangio rings a bell as one of recent decedents. Though I may be wrong.

I also would like to know who is the oldest remaining now.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
http://www.beehivehockey.com/images/player_images_group1/eddiewiseman1.jpg

I think I found a new leader in the category. RW Eddie Wiseman was born on 28 December, 1912. As far as I can tell, he is still alive. Wiseman played 456 games for the Red Wings, Americans and Bruins between 1933 and 1942. He scored 280 points. He led the playoffs in goals in 1941; that was the only time he won the Stanley Cup.

Wiseman seems to be the record. Clint Smith (born 1913), Ray Getliffe (born 1914), Murray Alexander Armstrong (born in 1916), Elmer Lach (born in 1918) and Milt Schmidt (born in 1918)must also be high on the list.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
Last edited by a moderator:

State Of Hockey 8*

Even at 51 years old, Gordie Howe was able to get 41 points, thats simply amazing for someone over 50 I think.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I think you mistook his question. He's asking about the oldest living former NHLer and how many players on the Wikipedia list are actually still alive.

I think the only way to confirm any of those names would be to do some searches through newspaper databases for obituaries and see if you can cross anybody off the list.

Ah... yes, I've tried determining if someone was alive or not, and that is the best way to do it -- and unfortunately you have to do it on an individual basis. Former NHL players will usually pop up under a google search with NHL 'Name' deceased/orbituaries/died - if they are no longer with us.

lafleurfan10

Nov 16, 2007
official list.

I asked myself the very same question not too long ago, I have a very accurate list on hand, the players listed have been contacted to make sure that they are still living, and also the SIHR is great for determining if a player is deceased or not their records are awesome. I also recommend that if perhaps any of you wanted to get into contact with former players check out the hockeydb forum, my list is also posted there. www.hockeydb.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5 anyway heres the list.

#1. Lou Holmes 98 this year **OFFICIALLY THE OLDEST FORMER NHLER EVER**
#2. Al Suomi 96 this year (last living member of the 36/37 all american blackhawks team
#3. Don Willson 95 this year
#4. Bill Chadwick 94 this year (referee, invented hand signals) HHOF
#5. Murray Armstrong 94 this year (last living player to have played for both the NYA and the Brooklyn Americans
#6. Pete Langelle 93 this year
#7. Ernie Laforce 93 this year (played on game fore the habs 1942
#8. Oscar Aubuchon 93 this year
#9. Red Carr 92 this year
#10. Tony Bukovich 91 this year
#11. Elmer Lach 91 this year HHOF
#12. Milt Schmidt 91 this year HHOF
#13. Connie Dion 91 this year
#14. John Mahaffy 91 this year
#15. Herb Carnegie 90 this year (not really an NHL player but deserves to be on the list.
#16. Wally Stanowski 90 this year
#17. Edgar Laprade 90 this year HHOF
#18. Ed Barry 90 this year
#19. Emile Bouchard 89 this year HHOF
#20. Jud McAtee 89 this year
#21. Bill Benson 89 this year (last living player to have only played with the Brooklyn Americans)
#22. Bob Fillion 88 this year
#23. Tony Licari 88 this year
#24. Jean-Paul Gladu 88 this year
#25. Norm McAtee 88 this year
#26. Murray Henderson 88 this year
#27. Howard Riopelle 88 this year
#28. Armand Gaudreault 88 this year
#29. Johnny Bower 87 this year (charges $1 per signature)
#30. Jim Conacher 86 this year
#31. Gaye Stewart 86 this year
#32. Chuck Scherza 86 this year
#33. Keith "Bingo" Allen 86 this year HHOF (can also be reached through Philly)
#34. Leo Reise Jr. 86 this year
#35. Tod Campeau 86 this year

hope this helps. :D

lafleurfan10

Nov 16, 2007
also most of the players on that list have passed on, it doesn't look to be too accurate. I can see at least 20 players just off the top of my head that I know are no longer with us, and the others ones over the age of 100 can be confirmed as deceased by the SIHR records.

lafleurfan10

Nov 16, 2007
You guys should check out the SIHR records they're very good, also I made my own more accurate list the players on this list have been contacted as to make sure they are still living. Check out this site as well, www.hockeydb.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5

#1. Lou Holmes 98 this year **OFFICIALLY THE OLDEST FORMER NHLER EVER**
#2. Al Suomi 96 this year (last living member of the 36/37 all amercian blackhawks
#3. Don Willson 95 this year
#4. Bill Chadwick 94 this year (referee, invented hand signals) HHOF
#5. Murray Armstrong 94 this year (last living NYA and brooklyn americans player)
#6. Pete Langelle 93 this year
#7. Ernie Laforce 93 this year (played on game with the habs in 1942)
#8. Oscar Aubuchon 93 this year
#9. Red Carr 92 this year
#10. Tony Bukovich 91 this year
#11. Elmer Lach 91 this year HHOF
#12. Milt Schmidt 91 this year HHOF
#13. Connie Dion 91 this year
#14. John Mahaffy 91 this year
#15. Herb Carnegie 90 this year (never made the NHL but deserves to be on this list)
#16. Wally Stanowski 90 this year
#17. Edgar Laprade 90 this year HHOF
#18. Ed Barry 90 this year
#19. Emile Bouchard 89 this year HHOF
#20. Jud McAtee 89 this year
#21. Bill Benson 89 this year (last living player to have only played with the Brooklyn Americans)
#22. Bob Fillion 88 this year
#23. Tony Licari 88 this year
#24. Jean-Paul Gladu 88 this year
#25. Norm McAtee 88 this year
#26. Murray Henderson 88 this year
#27. Howard Riopelle 88 this year
#28. Armand Gaudreault 88 this year
#29. Johnny Bower 87 this year
#30. Jim Conacher 86 this year
#31. Gaye Stewart 86 this year
#32. Chuck Scherza 86 this year
#33. Keith "Bingo" Allen 86 this year HHOF
#34. Leo Reise Jr. 86 this year
#35. Tod Campeau 86 this year

Hope this helps.

judymcatee

Nov 3, 2009
Alive and well

I can guarantee that Norm McAtee is still alive. May not be still playing hockey but shot a 73 on the golf links summer 2009.

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
I recently looked at the "List of oldest NHL players" in wikipedia. I realized that Louis Holmes is placed at 27th despite he was officially the oldest former NHL player ever. Does anybody know the confirmation on all the players who were edited as living in the wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_NHL_players

I clicked the link, and apparently the Wikipedia article has been deleted. I read the discussion notes that the Wiki editors made about the status of the article, and apparently the information was considered too trivial for inclusion, which, given what Wikipedia does include, is a distinction difficult to achieve. However, I rather think that distinction is even more difficult to achieve here on this board and thus that the matter is not too trivial for inclusion here.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Even at 51 years old, Gordie Howe was able to get 41 points, thats simply amazing for someone over 50 I think.

Then again, i don't think anyone hit him that season. I saw him play against the Isles that year and no one went near him out of respect i guess. He was still mouthing off to every opposing player that came within 5 feet though :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad