List of hockey TV contracts

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Can we have a list of national contracts so we will know what is coming in nationally?

For example:

English contract: Rogers signed in 2013 for 12 yrs (436 Million a yr CAN)
source: NHL, Rogers announce landmark 12-year deal

French contract: RDS signed in 2014 for 12 yrs (120 Million a YR CAN) [Question: RDS pays to Rogers?]
source: TVA to pay Rogers $120-million a year to be NHL's French-language broadcaster.

ESPN contract: Signed 2021 for 12 yrs ($400 million a yr USD)
source: ESPN Strikes Seven-Year Deal for Rights to NHL Games.

TNT contract: Signed 2021 for 7 yrs ($225 million a yr USD)
Source:

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

French contract: RDS signed in 2014 for 12 yrs (120 Million a YR CAN) [Question: RDS pays to Rogers?]
source: TVA to pay Rogers $120-million a year to be NHL's French-language broadcaster.

and the Canadian dollar is down vs the dollar when back in 2013. (loonie was near par with Dollar)
in 2014 the Loonie was still above the dollar.

Are the Canadian deals signed in Loonies or greenbacks?

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

and the Canadian dollar is down vs the dollar when back in 2013. (loonie was near par with Dollar)
in 2014 the Loonie was still above the dollar.

Are the Canadian deals signed in Loonies or greenbacks?

So between Canada and US deals the NHL is going to get close to 1 billion per year? Or I'm making a really bad calculation

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
so it's really hard to determine the length of local contracts... because those can change... why this thread was likely created is more toward the national contract... because the local contracts are ignored in a discussion thread.

the premise is no matter which team forum you use or see here... the general consensus is no fan likes having to switch to a national game like an NBC Sports or an ESPN/ABC, or even a Fox Sports contract; over their local RSN's and especially how the RSN's can only do RS/ and the 1st round of the Playoffs, and then the national contract kicks in.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
so it's really hard to determine the length of local contracts... because those can change... why this thread was likely created is more toward the national contract... because the local contracts are ignored in a discussion thread.

the premise is no matter which team forum you use or see here... the general consensus is no fan likes having to switch to a national game like an NBC Sports or an ESPN/ABC, or even a Fox Sports contract; over their local RSN's and especially how the RSN's can only do RS/ and the 1st round of the Playoffs, and then the national contract kicks in.
When your explanation of why this thread exists is longer than the original post , you may be over thinking things. I wasn't looking to complicate things or steer the discussion in another direction.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The first US network deal was with CBS and ran 4 seasons from 1956-57 to 1959-60 and the 4 US clubs got $100,000 each in a deal in today's dollars would be worth about $3,500,000 a year.

<i>NHL on CBS</i>

But the 4 US teams refused to give the players a dime. Of course 3 of the US teams Chicago, Detroit, and the Rangers and Boston did what they were told to do.

THE HOCKEY REBELLION

Montreal did play a few times on CBS but Toronto did not.

The NHL returned to CBS for the 1966-67 season.

<i>NHL on CBS</i>

CBS gave the NHL the same production values as the NFL games and televised Game 7 of the SCF in prime time even with Chicago blacked out.

NBC doubled the price CBS was paying and took over in 1972-73

<i>NHL on NBC</i>

NBC dropped the NHL after the 1975 season and it would be 20 years until they were back on a major US broadcast network (Fox) except an occasional game on CBS or NBC.

History of the National Hockey League on United States television

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
When your explanation of why this thread exists is longer than the original post , you may be over thinking things. I wasn't looking to complicate things or steer the discussion in another direction.

The thread is titled National TV Contracts. You asked "can we include local?"

You clearly were looking to steer the discussion in another direction

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

skeena1

May 15, 2006
The thread is titled National TV Contracts. You asked "can we include local?"

You clearly were looking to steer the discussion in another direction

Actually its called "List of hockey tv contracts." The first post asked "Can we have a list of national contracts..." In the 4th post I asked if we could include regional deals. Not sure what your gripe with that is. If it only includes national deals its going to be a pretty short thread.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Actually its called "List of hockey tv contracts." The first post asked "Can we have a list of national contracts..." In the 4th post I asked if we could include regional deals. Not sure what your gripe with that is. If it only includes national deals its going to be a pretty short thread.
and my response is :

it's not quantified because it's covered in the team threads as well.... the 4 NY based teams (including NJ) are on or share an RSN IN MSG.... Boston is on an RSN that DN owns 20% of NESN, most, if not all teams have a contract with an RSN, Including Seattle.

even the recent change by Sinclair buying the Fox RSN's to that deal with Bally's becoming the full owner/partner.....

all National contracts will impact the local contracts each team has, whether it's an RSN or not.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
and my response is :

it's not quantified because it's covered in the team threads as well.... the 4 NY based teams (including NJ) are on or share an RSN IN MSG.... Boston is on an RSN that DN owns 20% of NESN, most, if not all teams have a contract with an RSN, Including Seattle.

even the recent change by Sinclair buying the Fox RSN's to that deal with Bally's becoming the full owner/partner.....

all National contracts will impact the local contracts each team has, whether it's an RSN or not.
Thanks! That's a start!

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
It is impossible to get accurate numbers of local TV deals with many clubs.
Exactly I've often tried to research Local TV contracts for a lot of teams and you see alot of detail about the bigger teams but once you get past the top teams 10 US sides there seems to be less info on local tv amounts. Since we are on the subject does anyone know if Bettman and the league were able to get the Sharks out of that terrible 14yr deal that paid 7m yr?
Can Leagues Step In And Help Teams With Bad Local Television Contracts?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Are we looking for outside North America as well?

Outside of Canada and the United States, NHL games are broadcast across Europe (excluding the UK and Scandinavia) and the Middle East and North Africa on beIN Sports, which takes feeds from NBC, Rogers, and teams' regional broadcasts. In the UK Premier Sports has the rights to the NHL and show 15 games per week. Fox Sports in Australia,[27] on Viasat Hockey in Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark,[28] in the Czech Republic and Slovakia on NovaSport or FandaTV and in Portugal on SportTV.[29] In the Americas, NHL games are broadcast across Mexico, Central America and Dominican Republic on SKY México, South America and the Caribbean on DirecTV. Stanley Cup games can also be viewed in New Zealand on Sky Sport. In Brazil, the games are broadcast on ESPN International.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Are we looking for outside North America as well?

Outside of Canada and the United States, NHL games are broadcast across Europe (excluding the UK and Scandinavia) and the Middle East and North Africa on beIN Sports, which takes feeds from NBC, Rogers, and teams' regional broadcasts. In the UK Premier Sports has the rights to the NHL and show 15 games per week. Fox Sports in Australia,[27] on Viasat Hockey in Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark,[28] in the Czech Republic and Slovakia on NovaSport or FandaTV and in Portugal on SportTV.[29] In the Americas, NHL games are broadcast across Mexico, Central America and Dominican Republic on SKY México, South America and the Caribbean on DirecTV. Stanley Cup games can also be viewed in New Zealand on Sky Sport. In Brazil, the games are broadcast on ESPN International.

Where does the recent NENT deal for Baltic noted above replace contracts you've mentioned?

Unclear what ESPN streaming may be doing internationally from announcements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->