List of garantied contracts please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Fozz said:
Does anyone know what NHL players have garantied contracts during the NHL lock-out? I know that Owen Nolan is one but I am unsure of others. Can anyone provide a list please?

As far as I am aware no one does. Nolan and a few other players - Bertuzzi is one - have an option in their contract. If more than half a season is cancelled, the player has an option to extend the deal by a year.

Tom

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Fozz said:
Does anyone know what NHL players have garantied contracts during the NHL lock-out? I know that Owen Nolan is one but I am unsure of others. Can anyone provide a list please?

Nolan does not have a guaranteed contract. Nolan is currently being paid his contract, as is Ed Belfour, because he is injured. All injured players, again, as far as I know, are paid their contracts while they are being treated for the injury. This is why Jeremy Roenick wants $7.5 million from Philly because he claims he has a concussion from the playoffs. The teams likely all have insurance to cover the payments to these injured players, and I believe the teams' medical staff has to confirm the injury.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
OpinionatedMike said:
I'm pretty sure Nolan has it written in his contract that lockout or not. He gets paid.

He absolutely does not. The NHL refused to register contracts that could possibly be interpreted to pay him during a lockout. The last time dozens of stars had ironclad deals. Pavel Bure's contract had four specific reasons the contract would not be paid out and lockout wasn't one of them.

After the dispute, Bure was the guy ticketed by the NHLPA to file the grievance. Rather than take it to a hearing and a decision, the NHL teams quietly paid out on all the contracts.

The NHL learned from that lesson. Nolan's contract was initially refused by the NHL because it included a clause that paid him as long as he was willing to play. The deal got through the NHL offices giving him the option of an extra year if the lockout crashes a year. Other players - some at least - followed suit.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad