NFL: Lions hire Matt Patricia as their new head coach

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It cannot be repeated enough just how terrible a hire this is.

And keeping Cooter? I think this gives Cleveland a run for worse coaching staff in the league. Maybe the Lions saw the Browns go 0-16 and worried that someone else was going to take their spot as the worse run team in the NFL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not sure it's a terrible hire, there's just no way to really know what it's going to be. That Patriots defense isn't exactly the most talented unit.

I'd rather have Jim Caldwell as has already been said. Four years in Detroit with a winning record and there were only two games all year they were out of.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm not sure it's a terrible hire, there's just no way to really know what it's going to be. That Patriots defense isn't exactly the most talented unit.

I'd rather have Jim Caldwell as has already been said. Four years in Detroit with a winning record and there were only two games all year they were out of.

My concerns with Patricia is that almost everything about his hire seems to be where he came from rather than talking about the good things he brings or has done. His defenses haven't been particularly impressive, he doesn't seem like he calls a great game, the last game he just coached there seemed to be zero adjustments that worked to put a dent in the Eagles offense. He may not have had the greatest talent but neither do the Lions.

If Patricia had done the exact same things, or even had better success, I don't think Quinn hires him. If Joe Blow was the DC for New England would he automatically be in the running the because he comes from the Pats? I understand the desire to bring in guys you worked with in the past but only focusing on that is a terrible way to search for a coach in my view.

Also, as many have mentioned Patriots co-ordinators have struggled in the past. I wonder if for many of them it is because Belichek seems to be involved in every aspect of the team. He is there to stop or cover up mistakes and deficiencies in the coaches that become problems in their next job.

There just seems to be zero reason to think that Patricia will be a good coach. Zero positive qualities he brings and a whole ton of negatives.

Now that said he is likely a step up on Caldwell who I am not sure was actually alive during the majority of his tenure. It will be interesting to see a coach throw challenge flags on obvious missed calls, interesting to see a coach that might have somewhat of a clue of how to manage timeouts and might have a coach that realizes there is a football game going on in front of him.

The good news is we get to keep Jim Bob Cooter and his throw laterals to Tate and hope he can break 10 tackles or hope the play he called in blown up fast enough that Stafford has enough time to scrap that horrible call and improvise his on plays. I am sure that will continue to prodcue the mid to low ranked offenses that makes guys like him indispensible in the league.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
They are so, so going to regret this.

As for Cooter, keep in mind Stafford voiced his desire to keep him, so Patrica doesn't have much choice there. Not that i agree with that move, but i understand it.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Carr vouched for Todd Downing too. JBC is much better than Downing. I just hate JBC's system. Worse run game in the league. Predictable passing game. The Lions have the talent to be way more explosive than they are.

Reactions: Voight

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Reading this thread bums me out a bit; I don't know why that is, being a Detroit fan you certainly learn to expect failure.

Just curious though, what other coaching options were on the table that are better (besides just keeping Caldwell, obviously)?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Had no answers for Doug's offense. The Eagles players after the game were saying that, they knew exactly what the Patriots were doing.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
pats coordinators never make good head coaches

i expect patricia to continue that trend

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He knows how to coach situational dfence at least. Other then that I’m not too excited. He’s a better choice then Caldwell just because Caldwell wasn’t winning a Super Bowl. Matt at least has a slim chance right now

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So Matt Patricia sex assault claims from 1996 are coming to forefront

Case was dismissed calls are being made from some in media and Metoo movement for Lions to fire Patricia or for him to step down

He says he was innocent then and innocent now

Should be non story but its becoming a big story now

Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie Oyster

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Unfortunately we'll probably never know what actually happened. People assuming innocence because Patrica was never tried under the charges are misguided. The woman apparently refused to answer any attempts to tesfity/follow up on the incident, which could be for multiple reasons. If someone were raped, i would imagine they wouldn't exactly be super keen to relive the attack, especially with legitimate scientific evidence showing the risk of trauma is actually higher if a victim is forced to retell so soon.

The evidence clears his name as much as it does proves him to be a scumbag so we really can't assume anything.

The Lions and him are sticking to their story so i guess we'll see where it goes.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Case was dismissed calls are being made from some in media and Metoo movement for Lions to fire Patricia or for him to step down

Have no clue what he did or didn’t do. Just think it’s wacky stuff comes out now over an alleged issue two decades ago. And it’s not even an alleged issue that escaped the legal system, it went through a grand jury, after which the accuser declined to continue the legal process so far as I understand.

For any not familiar with the grand jury process, it’s often a carte blanche for whatever the district attorney is pursuing. The standard isn’t whether the person is guilty. It’s about whether the DA can argue enough probable cause that the case proceeds to the court system.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Prosecutors in Patricia case had medical evidence, at least 5 witnesses

The weirdest thing to me about this is the Detroit media is completely driving this thing to the light. The woman that reportedly was assaulted has been pushed by the media to come out with her side of the story, to which she has refused to. So it's certainly not about money as some people have already claimed. This is all the Detroit Free Press.

My question is why? By the word of the law, he was not guilty so it's not like this is a cold case. All this does is make everyone look bad.

Feb 24, 2017

Why am I not surprised you want to take the alleged aggressors’s side and sweep rape allegations under the rug?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->