Signing(s): Lions hire Dan Campbell as their next HC

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Lions have been garbage to mediocre all of my life.

The fact that people still talk about Jim Caldwell, as if they were going to win anything with him, all but signifies my depression. The bar could not be any lower if he was the gold standard.

I really don't know what to make of this hire. Mainly because I know ownership hasn't changed and I'm expecting status quo.
caldwell wasn't a terrible HC by any means, but patricia's absolute awfulness sure made caldwell seem like belichick in comparison

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Lions needed an identity change in the worst way and this guy is the exact opposite of the robotic Patricia who was as artificial as it gets with his stupid buzzwords and "I'm the smartest guy in the room" attitude. Campbell might not be a great X and O's guy but his players will play hard for him, which wasn't always the case under Patricia.

With that said, it's the Lions so it's bound to fail. 63 years and counting...

That's the idea. When he was given the interim gig in Miami, that locker room was a ****ing mess. The Bullygate thing was still pretty fresh and Philbin basically let lunkheads like Incognito cultivate an absolutely toxic locker room. Campbell took over and made it seem like it disappeared almost overnight (it didn't, but the mood and morale of the team improved dramatically)

He's no big brain when it comes to schemes or gameplanning, but he's honestly the perfect palliate cleanser after Patricia

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Eagles had previously not allowed other teams to speak with him

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
caldwell wasn't a terrible HC by any means, but patricia's absolute awfulness sure made caldwell seem like belichick in comparison

That's really the point. Caldwell was rightfully fired as the bar shouldn't be Wayne Fontes. Sad franchise or not.

Problem is, our GM was vocal about it and found an even bigger schmuck in Patricia. Everyone knew once Quinn came on as GM, Caldwell was as good as gone and he was. Bringing in his New England buddy and watching him get torched by the Jets on national TV was poetic justice.

I was meh on the Caldwell hire and against the Patricia hire. This hire? who knows. The ownership remains the same.

When you haven't played a home playoff game in over 25 years, haven't won a playoff game in almost 30 years and still have yet to even reach the Super Bowl, you don't have much of a reason to believe.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
That's really the point. Caldwell was rightfully fired as the bar shouldn't be Wayne Fontes. Sad franchise or not.

Problem is, our GM was vocal about it and found an even bigger schmuck in Patricia. Everyone knew once Quinn came on as GM, Caldwell was as good as gone and he was. Bringing in his New England buddy and watching him get torched by the Jets on national TV was poetic justice.

I was meh on the Caldwell hire and against the Patricia hire. This hire? who knows. The ownership remains the same.

When you haven't played a home playoff game in over 25 years, haven't won a playoff game in almost 30 years and still have yet to even reach the Super Bowl, you don't have much of a reason to believe.

One playoff win for the Lions since the Eisenhower administration; ONE. A single playoff win is a bad year for the Patriots (up until this year).

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
With the Lions terms like "rebuild" appear all but meaningless as they seem to be in a perpetual state of some sort of building activity going on as the franchise is the sporting equivalent of a construction mega project delayed for many years with massive cost overruns. But at the same time Stafford leaving does essentially appear to be a 'white flag' move by the organization as any notion of near term contention was always based around him being there. In other words, the franchise is essentially all but committed to a multi-year run of total suckage. In which case Dan Campbell is just the placeholder coach hired to be there..because well you do need to have a head coach in the NFL.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
With the Lions terms like "rebuild" appear all but meaningless as they seem to be in a perpetual state of some sort of building activity going on as the franchise is the sporting equivalent of a construction mega project delayed for many years with massive cost overruns. But at the same time Stafford leaving does essentially appear to be a 'white flag' move by the organization as any notion of near term contention was always based around him being there. In other words, the franchise is essentially all but committed to a multi-year run of total suckage. In which case Dan Campbell is just the placeholder coach hired to be there..because well you do need to have a head coach in the NFL.
Well, their new GM has a college scouting background.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Say about Campbell whatever you will, but he actually did assemble an impressive staff around him. The Lions will very likely add at least another year without a playoff win - and I am really looking forward to all the experts here pointing that out, which already happened twice in this thread, yet it is something. Seeing how much trust the Lions get, he will have to perform some magic to disappoint the pundits...

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad