Prospect Info: Linus Ullmark (2012, 163rd) – '15-16: Buffalo #35 (NHL)Recalled 4/9/16

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree with you Jame but at the same time, I have much less fear of initial shots getting through him or rebounds coming out. He does seem very awkward once he's down and I'm sure the more he plays, the more teams will have a chance to put a book together on his exploits.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I agree with you Jame but at the same time, I have much less fear of initial shots getting through him or rebounds coming out. He does seem very awkward once he's down and I'm sure the more he plays, the more teams will have a chance to put a book together on his exploits.
Only that once he's down and out, he does very unconventional and unpredictable stuff to try and make the save.

Only time will tell.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Results don't correlate with what I'm seeing on the ice... anyone else feel that way?

Yes and no. He makes the initial save fine and his rebound control is in general OK. But, once he's asked to make a series of stops, that's when issues happen I feel.

I hope/feel that it will resolve itself as he adjusts to the NHL more and his injury is further in the past.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

agreed.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Eh looks to me that he's just a bit jittery. Over plays the puck a bit on the 2nd shot so, if there's a third, he's out of position or resetting. His puck handling isn't great either, seemingly for the same reason. He just doesn't make great decisions when he comes out to play it. Typically, safe decisions but not great or as productive as possible.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He was extremely jittery in Brooklyn. Especially early on.

Then he settled down.

It's clear he is THE choice and the right option right now at this time.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Results don't correlate with what I'm seeing on the ice... anyone else feel that way?

For now, agree. Long run, I want to see if it continues.

As a former goalie, I like his positioning and angles. I see a general sense of what going on around him. And his initial form is good. I see a lot of shots hitting him, which I like, and not a lot of rebounds.

I don't like how quick he goes down and stays down. And once he's down, as everyone is noting, he flops around a bit and doesn't get back into position well.

Jitters may be part of it.

If he improves, I suspect hip strength is the culprit. He seems to fall back once he gets into the butterfly. Digging skates in and either popping back up, or driving across the crease, is all in the hips.

So, I'm in wait-and-see mode.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
if he stays square on the initial shot and keeps absorbing most rebounds he'll do fine in the NHL, I think he's a guy who could benefit from a top tier goalie coach, he's got some bad habits that seam correctable

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Eichel jumping on top of him didn't help him recover during the scramble that led to the goal against vs the Isles.

And watching some video of his play in Sweden in 13/14, I don't know that recovering from the hip surgery is leading to the falling on his butt after making a BF save.

He seems to be a flopper when it comes to secondary saves as a general rule.

Given that he is so good at rebound control and that changing that part of a goalie's game can be tough, it will be interesting to see if that is something that changes with his game over time, or not.

Right now, Ullmark isn't what I like to call a calm, quiet goalie. And I don't know if he ever will be.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He's good in "desperation mode" and maybe goes to it sometimes when he doesn't have to. He said that he's worked on that aspect quite a bit so we may see some highlight reel stops to balance out goals like the one in Brooklyn. Definitely a high energy guy and that won't change but I think his decision making will get better over time and perhaps not quickly because it hasn't been a glaring concern - it hasn't cost a game yet. It doesn't tend to get as scrambly in close, on bigger Euro ice. Maybe hip strength is an issue. None of it is uncorrectable. If I remember, Miller spent two starting years working on technique and Linus has shown to put in off ice work. Hopefully he's getting good coaching.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Eichel jumping on top of him didn't help him recover during the scramble that led to the goal against vs the Isles.

And watching some video of his play in Sweden in 13/14, I don't know that recovering from the hip surgery is leading to the falling on his butt after making a BF save.

Given that he is so good at rebound control and that changing that part of a goalie's game can be tough, it will be interesting to see if that is something that changes with his game over time, or not.

Right now, Ullmark isn't what I like to call a calm, quiet goalie. And I don't know if he ever will be.

Funny, Bylsma said the exact opposite in Vogl's piece

Quote: "Calm, cool, collected demeanor in net. He came up big. He had three or four really big saves in the third that he made look easy."

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Funny, Bylsma said the exact opposite in Vogl's piece

Quote: "Calm, cool, collected demeanor in net. He came up big. He had three or four really big saves in the third that he made look easy."

Bylsma wasn't talking about his style of playing the position, like I was.

He was referring to his mentality and being calm late in tight games.

We are talking about two completely different things.

Hasek didn't have a quiet style of playing goal. But he was as cool as the other side of the pillow in big spots.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Eh looks to me that he's just a bit jittery. Over plays the puck a bit on the 2nd shot so, if there's a third, he's out of position or resetting. His puck handling isn't great either, seemingly for the same reason. He just doesn't make great decisions when he comes out to play it. Typically, safe decisions but not great or as productive as possible.

It's 100x better than Chad's

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA

He has played 6 career games on North American ice. He's adjusting. He most likely hasn't studied the habits many opponents yet. Skaters are shooting much harder from much closer in the NHL which most likely contributes to the "negative" (2-1, .930) things we're seeing. Keeping an eye on progress is the play for me here. He was bleh in game 1 and improved by game 3. Hoping to see some more.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
He doesn't look great at times when recovering from shot attempts, but I have generally liked his rebound control, particularly when juxtaposed with Johnson's lack thereof.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's clear he is THE choice and the right option right now at this time.
FWIW, listening to Paul Hamilton, I don't believe the sabres coaching staff or management was as down on Johnson's play as the fan base. If that's true, I'm not going to be surprised to see getting half the games going forward.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
FWIW, listening to Paul Hamilton, I don't believe the sabres coaching staff or management was as down on Johnson's play as the fan base. If that's true, I'm not going to be surprised to see getting half the games going forward.

Listening to Hamilton the last couple weeks talking about the goaltending was like being in an alternate universe. He would argue with the WGR guys (any show) that Johnson wasn't at fault. Then he would challenge them to point out what saves he should have had? That it was almost all on the defense. If the coaching staff and Murray share that position. That would be troubling.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Listening to Hamilton the last couple weeks talking about the goaltending was like being in an alternate universe. He would argue with the WGR guys (any show) that Johnson wasn't at fault. Then he would challenge them to point out what saves he should have had? That it was almost all on the defense. If the coaching staff and Murray share that position. That would be troubling.

Paul Hamilton is garbage. Not only does he have an awful opinion on 90% of the things he talks about but the guy is such a softy. He blocked me on twitter because he had 3 tweets on Nathan Liewan's mask colour. I tweeted at him no one cares Paul, and he blocked me :laugh: classic

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

I'm not sure it's an 'either' 'or' position. Hamilton has his agendas, but he also does talk about things he's heard/discussed around the rink. Certainly the coaching staff isn't blind and may ride the hot hand (if you want to call it that), but they know what they have in Johnson and he may have been playing predictably. He did have a few GOOD games in there and did win a shoot out. The problem with CJ is what we found out - that he's not a starter. He's had a few good games and some really bad ones. With that said, the organization could still see him as serviceable and capable of performing with a lighter load.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

They're certainly not going to say if they're down on CJ's play publicly.....and that info isn't real likely to leak out.

Either way, even if CJ gets half the games, that's fine. Ullmark is still recovering from dual hip surgery and should be eased into duty at the NHL level. No issue with that at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->