Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Linus Karlsson to ELC

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Linus Karlsson at eliteprospects.com

Couldn't find a Thread for him, so here it is.

Karlsson started the season slow (scoring 4A in 7GP), and was dropped out of the top 6 for a few games, but has been resurgent over his last 8 games after returning to the top 6 + top PP unit (scoring 4G 8A in 12GP). Karlsson is currently riding a 6 game point streak (2G 8A), and game 6 still hasn't finished yet (I'm currently watching :laugh:). Both his assists today have been primary, and he's looked dangerous (even tried a Hoglander on the PP :naughty:).

Last edited:

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Why is he (if I have it right), still playing in the Alsvelskan League with numbers like that at 21 years of age?

Reactions: bh53

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Why is he (if I have it right), still playing in the Alsvelskan League with numbers like that at 21 years of age?

I think it has to do with how the two leagues (SEL and Alveksand (SEL2)) interact with each other, and you can't just sign with a team that is currently in the SEL without some sort of transfer agreement?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
In Sweden there is promotion and relegation. It’s not like Russia or the nhl where the lower league is the minors. The better allsvenskan teams are on par with the lower end SHL teams. The top Alvenskan team goes up and the bottom SHL team goes down every year or at least enters a playoff to do it.

The gap isn’t as big as normal second division teams.

Not sure for Karlsson but I know the goal for Dahlen is to get Timra back into the top league.

It’s definitely not like KHL/VHL quality gap.

Edit* Rasmus Asplund 22 years old played 29 nhl games last year is playing Alsvensken. Karlsson is out doing him production wise.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He would project to be a 3 or 4C who is supposed to be solid defensively.
Canucks do need internal guys who can take those PK and checking roles from Sutter, Beagle, and co.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i feel like karlsson is still in the conversation. he's d+3 in his overage junior year doing well in a men's league and he was solid last year too. not well enough to come over here in covid time, but in normal times we might sign him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i feel like karlsson is still in the conversation. he's d+3 in his overage junior year doing well in a men's league and he was solid last year too. not well enough to come over here in covid time, but in normal times we might sign him.
Not quite. He’s a 1999. They’re too old for junior now.

Late birthday drafted in his 18 yr old season like Elias and Quinn.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In college terms he would be doing his Senior year assuming he went to college in the year he turned 18 like I did. We have seen the likes of Rathbone and Kunz and McNally take an extra year after their draft to attend college.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I would sign him. I liked him in his draft year and his development has been kind of disappointing. He was one of those tall skinny guys who lacked strength and power in his skating so it was projected that he would take some time to develop. The tools are there though. He's a right shot that can play C with a good frame. Could develop into a good young 3rd line C.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Certainly a guy to watch given Nucks' lack of a long-term 3C. So, covid uncertainty and all that, what's the best development path looking for him at this point? I would imagine to develop a solid defensive 3C at the NHL you need enough North American experience.....

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Certainly a guy to watch given Nucks' lack of a long-term 3C. So, covid uncertainty and all that, what's the best development path looking for him at this point? I would imagine to develop a solid defensive 3C at the NHL you need enough North American experience.....

Right. I'd assume he gets signed this offseason, and plays in the AHL next year. From there we'll see.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Karlsson wasn't a natural center, you could probably write him off as a prospect, at least in the short term. But the Canucks are so thin down the middle, there's a chance he eventually signs just so they can get a look at him in NA.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Karlsson wasn't a natural center, you could probably write him off as a prospect, at least in the short term. But the Canucks are so thin down the middle, there's a chance he eventually signs just so they can get a look at him in NA.

Not really. This is a former 3rd round pick with projectable tools. He's the type of player you want developing in the AHL after developing his game back home.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hockey DB lists Karlsson at 6', 175, but he looks a lot bigger to me in these highlights. Doesn't look to be a gifted skater but seems to be able to set up scoring plays down low.

Hard to know if the Canucks will eventually sign him and bring him over. Might have to show some serious progress in the SHL for that to happen.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I have high hopes for this kid. Fingers crossed he pans out to be an NHL regular in the next couple of years. Like others have mentioned, maybe he can step in for Beagle after his contract runs out...if not sooner.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I have high hopes for this kid. Fingers crossed he pans out to be an NHL regular in the next couple of years. Like others have mentioned, maybe he can step in for Beagle after his contract runs out...if not sooner.
Who are the other options to fill Beagle’s role? What about Jasper, or Keppen?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
There will no doubt be some good mentorpedes coming off cup winning teams that Benning can sign to absurd deals, why bother grooming your own talent?
Marroon 4 year deal, and after a bidding war he gets $4 million per season

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Karlsson is a project--acquired for guy in Dahlen who wanted out of the Canucks (Utica) organization. Interestingly enough he (Dahlen) is back in the Allvesnskan, lighting it up again, which doesn't speak volumes about the competitive level of the league.

Realistically, Karlsson should be making appearances in the top-tier SHL by now....which is why he's probably been passed in the prospect depth chart at center by Costmar who's already playing minutes in the SHL and Zlodeyev, who was supposed to play his first KHL games this week until he got hurt.

I suppose there's always a possibility that Karlsson is a late-bloomer. But at this point, he's a bit of a longshot to be signed imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad