Confirmed with Link: Linus Arnesson signs ELC

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
It is kind of weird that we signed him this early. He's going to take a long time to pan out unless he turns out to be a steal and a freak.

I liked the pick and I like the sign, though... A smart defensive defenseman isn't a risky pick, was a good choice for the 2nd round. Pretty high chance of success, however long it'll take.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
It is kind of weird that we signed him this early. He's going to take a long time to pan out unless he turns out to be a steal and a freak.

I liked the pick and I like the sign, though... A smart defensive defenseman isn't a risky pick, was a good choice for the 2nd round. Pretty high chance of success, however long it'll take.

Well, he is already playing amongst men in the eliteseiren and his game is pretty simple. Skate, pass, block shots, smart positioning. Like Jonas brodin but not as offensively dynamic.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Reminds me of Kjell Samuelsson in terms of style & substance...not flashy but steady & dependable.

Would not surprise me if Bruins go for a riskier option with bigger payoff at 25- like Marcus Pettersson. Raw & unrefined, but man- there's some real tools & lively projection to work with.

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
Reminds me of Kjell Samuelsson in terms of style & substance...not flashy but steady & dependable.

Would not surprise me if Bruins go for a riskier option with bigger payoff at 25- like Marcus Pettersson. Raw & unrefined, but man- there's some real tools & lively projection to work with.

I'll take Kjell Samuelsson anyday, was a very solid NHLer (just as long as we don't have Ulf :laugh:)

I'm with you on the bigger payday at 25 Kirk, Pettersson if developed properly could be a massive steal at the back end of the first round. Has all the tools and great size.

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
I think it's a bit premature to start comparing the kid to someone else or scouting him based off how little he has played so far and the lack of video.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I think it's a bit premature to start comparing the kid to someone else or scouting him based off how little he has played so far and the lack of video.

You know, a lot of us saw him play when he was here last summer for the development camp. Didn't even have to go to Sweden to do it....just drove up rt. 38 in Wilmington.

Plus, there are actual professional scouts that walk among us on these boards who have seen him play pretty extensively and are pretty qualified to offer their opinion on this website called 'Hockey's Future'....so a little speculation is bound to happen.

I've thought a Seidenberg comparison, but indeed I feel like he's a few years away from making an impact on the big club. Good size, solid in his own zone, and looks like he can contribute to the breakout, even if he's not all that comfortable in the offensive zone yet. It seems that's the part of his game that'll need some working on.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com

Just curious, but why the attempt to curtail discussion on a message board? How sure of how much or little I (or others) have seen Arnesson are you? And, if you doubt my credentials so much, why not at least address me directly with your concerns or issues?

Last edited:

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
What do you think of Linus?

At the risk of being premature with providing any opinions or analysis on Arnesson, I think he's a solid, safe, defender with a relatively low ceiling offensively at the NHL level, but who should play because he does a lot of things well (though not exceptionally) and has the right character to succeed.

He's mobile and makes a good 1st pass, but based on what I have seen (on film- WJC Eval Camp at Lake Placid, WJC tourney) his vision and head may not be where they need to be to run an NHL power play or develop into a top-pairing two-way D at the highest level.

Having said that, he is consistent, poised, mature and shares many of the core values the Bruins look for, so I think he was a fine selection at the bottom of the second round and could one day be a serviceable 20-minute defender who keeps things relatively simple and effective even if he doesn't produce a lot of points. That's why I compared his *style* to Kjell Samuelsson. Arnesson isn't huge like KS, but he plays with that same kind of heaviness on the puck and ability to use an active stick, excellent gap control and solid positioning to limit quality scoring chances that come to his side of the ice.

Matt Grzelcyk told me last year after Lake Placid that Arnesson's extremely tough to beat 1-on-1 because he closes quickly and understands how to cut off the most direct path to the net, even if he's not a lower-the-boom kind of defender in the open ice...but hey- what does he know about anything?

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Just curious, but why the attempt to curtail discussion on a message board? How sure of how much or little I (or others) have seen Arnesson are you? And, if you doubt my credentials so much, why not at least address me directly with your concerns or issues?

It was for everyone, I wasn't calling you out. Unless you seen all his games in Sweden or have video of them at 19 years old playing other younger players it's hard to judge him. If we had video of when he played in Sweden it would be better. All I could find was some rookie camp video and we know they don't hit hard in rookie camp in fear of injuries.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
It was for everyone, I wasn't calling you out. Unless you seen all his games in Sweden or have video of them at 19 years old playing other younger players it's hard to judge him. If we had video of when he played in Sweden it would be better. All I could find was some rookie camp video and we know they don't hit hard in rookie camp in fear of injuries.

Even so- original question stands. Why is it premature to analyze Arnesson or inappropriate discuss what potential impact he *might* have in the NHL one day?

"Unless (I) seen all his games in Sweden"-- I haven't. Not even the Bruins scouts who drafted him have seen them all- that's not how it works.

And if that's the crux of your argument, then why is anyone even posting here? Nobody's seen every game of every player...if that's a prerequisite, then none of us should be allowed to opine on anyone. Reality is- I've seen enough of a sample size to feel confident in at least analyzing him. Could be right, might be completely off. But that doesn't mean the discussion can't be at least be broached.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002

Welcome to our board. Please refrain from posting unless you are bringing something to the table. 0-44

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006

You realize Kirk's job is to analyze prospects by gaining knowledge from scouts and in person analysis. It's his job! Not an uneducated opinion.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
At the risk of being premature with providing any opinions or analysis on Arnesson, I think he's a solid, safe, defender with a relatively low ceiling offensively at the NHL level, but who should play because he does a lot of things well (though not exceptionally) and has the right character to succeed.

He's mobile and makes a good 1st pass, but based on what I have seen (on film- WJC Eval Camp at Lake Placid, WJC tourney) his vision and head may not be where they need to be to run an NHL power play or develop into a top-pairing two-way D at the highest level.

Having said that, he is consistent, poised, mature and shares many of the core values the Bruins look for, so I think he was a fine selection at the bottom of the second round and could one day be a serviceable 20-minute defender who keeps things relatively simple and effective even if he doesn't produce a lot of points. That's why I compared his *style* to Kjell Samuelsson. Arnesson isn't huge like KS, but he plays with that same kind of heaviness on the puck and ability to use an active stick, excellent gap control and solid positioning to limit quality scoring chances that come to his side of the ice.

Matt Grzelcyk told me last year after Lake Placid that Arnesson's extremely tough to beat 1-on-1 because he closes quickly and understands how to cut off the most direct path to the net, even if he's not a lower-the-boom kind of defender in the open ice...but hey- what does he know about anything?

Thank you for taking the time to detail his strengths and weaknesses. I'll take a solid, smart & responsible D any day of the week. Ideally, the B's will blend this sort of player with the quickness & skill of Dougie & Krug. I'm also pleased by the Bruins recent proclivity to select or acquire Swedish players, because by reputation, they are thought to be reliable three zone players. These characteristics fit perfectly with the Bruins style, and system.

Thanks again for your analysis,

:yo:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Allsvenskan isn't as obscure as some might think, it's quite easy for interested people to find video of it. Also, he played at the U20 WC.

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Even so- original question stands. Why is it premature to analyze Arnesson or inappropriate discuss what potential impact he *might* have in the NHL one day?

"Unless (I) seen all his games in Sweden"-- I haven't. Not even the Bruins scouts who drafted him have seen them all- that's not how it works.

And if that's the crux of your argument, then why is anyone even posting here? Nobody's seen every game of every player...if that's a prerequisite, then none of us should be allowed to opine on anyone. Reality is- I've seen enough of a sample size to feel confident in at least analyzing him. Could be right, might be completely off. But that doesn't mean the discussion can't be at least be broached.

Lot of players that play over seas are hard to evaluate. Even in other leagues such as Basketball. You see a lot of fans being like this guy will be the next Dirk Nowitzki. I also didn't know of any credentials you had as I'm not familiar with the people on board yet. I've seen a boat load of college hockey games as a student at UNH, but it's hard to judge someone in a semi hitting rookie camp. Especially someone as a defense men if he was forward it would be a different story. I think it's fair to compare him to the player you compared him to. But should be careful to start comparing him to someone like Seidenberg, Edler, and other top players.

Well I know they sent Jukka Holtari over there to watch his games. He said that he was more comparable to Niklas Hjalmarsson. "Every time we see him, he plays a steady game. Excellent defensive skills, smart, anticipates play well. Pretty much one of those guys that you like the more you see him," said Holtari.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18868

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003

Maybe comparable to Hjalmarsson?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Lot of players that play over seas are hard to evaluate. Even in other leagues such as Basketball. You see a lot of fans being like this guy will be the next Dirk Nowitzki. I also didn't know of any credentials you had as I'm not familiar with the people on board yet. I've seen a boat load of college hockey games as a student at UNH, but it's hard to judge someone in a semi hitting rookie camp. Especially someone as a defense men if he was forward it would be a different story. I think it's fair to compare him to the player you compared him to. But should be careful to start comparing him to someone like Seidenberg, Edler, and other top players.

Well I know they sent Jukka Holtari over there to watch his games. He said that he was more comparable to Niklas Hjalmarsson. "Every time we see him, he plays a steady game. Excellent defensive skills, smart, anticipates play well. Pretty much one of those guys that you like the more you see him," said Holtari.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18868

Hjalmarsson is a better d-man than Edler. You can argue that he's better than Seids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad