Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
yhxlGctT_400x400.jpg

Linus Ölund

Born: June 5, 1997 in Gävle, Sweden
Size: 5'11", 185 lbs
Shoots: Left

- 20 year old overage pick with two years of pro experience
- played part of the last two seasons in the Swedish Elite League for his hometown club Brynäs (8-8-16, 2 PIM, +4 in 68 games)
- part of Brynäs' 2017 playoff run to the SEL finals (6-4-10, 2 PIM, +2 in 20 games)
- represented Sweden 63 times at the junior level (9-27-36 with 8 PIM and a +14) but never made the WJC team
- pre-draft rankings: 57 (NHL Central Scouting, European skaters)

From Patrik Allvin, Penguins Director of European Scouting:
"We see him as a bottom-six player. He had a really good playoff year, actually a really good second half in the Swedish pro league. Half a point per game in the playoffs, and he had a key role there starting off as a fourth-line center. Really took a big step in the second half. We’re excited about him, and he’s going to have a big role in Brynas next year, as well.”

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just like what was said in the draft thread, I love this pick. He had the highest points/60 of all U20 players in the SHL last year, beating out numerous 1st and 2nd rounders.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Seems like a really solid pick for that stage of the draft, it'll be interesting to see how he adapts to the North American game when he comes over. Promising numbers against men last year.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What's he like Swedes? Pacey? Creative? Go to the dirty areas or is he a perimeter area?

I don't think I've ever loved a 5th rounder more based on numbers but would be nice to know more.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
OT but Bryn�s is showing up really weird, think it is due to the Ä in Brynas. Anyone know how to fix that?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
OT but Bryn�s is showing up really weird, think it is due to the � in Brynas. Anyone know how to fix that?

The boards have been a mess the past couple weeks, it's doing the same thing for me. I think it's something to do with AdBlockers messing with the code or something.

Any Swedes with any insight on what �lund's role is likely to be next season?

novon04

Dec 21, 2011
What's he like Swedes? Pacey? Creative? Go to the dirty areas or is he a perimeter area?

I don't think I've ever loved a 5th rounder more based on numbers but would be nice to know more.
2-way player. Was used on both the #2 PP and #2 PK in the playoffs.
Mature playstyle which surprised me since he only established himself in the SHL this past february.
Good skater
Good hockey IQ
Pretty good shot

He does go to dirty areas when needed. Looks a bit bigger than 5'11" too.

Needs to work on face offs.

He had his breakthrough late in the season, that's why he didn't make the WJC team.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I like it, he's proven against men and should be in the AHL for the 18-19 season.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The boards have been a mess the past couple weeks, it's doing the same thing for me. I think it's something to do with AdBlockers messing with the code or something.

Any Swedes with any insight on what �lund's role is likely to be next season?

Degen and I had an exchange about this, but I don't think it's the adblockers. I think it's probably the latest update they did that's messing with diacritics.

That said, this might be the pick I'm most excited about.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Allvin said they see him as a bottom 6er and that he'll probably play one more season overseas and then play in WBS.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Caught some playoff highlights on the yt's. Love this pick.

Worst part is that in every highlight i saw the No 96 and thought, wow, Wonder if we could sign him.

Ofc, when i looked him up he is drafted- flyers...

Anyway.

Good pick here. This is the kind of player we should be looking for with the later picks. Drafting guys like segalla, seymour and whatever we have been doing is bad, even in the later rounds. They have a cealing at the absolute best being a 7d if they pan out.

Will try to catch some games with hin next year, even tho i think swedish League is slow and boring:-P

TKNoodle

Jun 19, 2013
I'm actually liking what I see and read about Olund. He's not as big and doesn't have the same level of physicality, but it's hard not to see similarities between him and Sundqvist. And as somebody who wasn't happy to see Sundqvist traded away it is nice to see them find a comparable replacement (albeit a few more years away).

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Reading back twitter comments from fans of the team, it seems s lot of people wanted him to be moved up in the lineup.

I dont know how it looks next season. But hopefully he will have a bigger role.

Our scouts seems to have him projected as a bottom 6 player. But you never know what happens with a more offensive role.

Its not record breaking stuff, but hes been producing ok numbers in the junior ranks

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Joel Eriksson-Ek played a few games for Minnesota this season. Seven points in fifteen games. Ölund had a higher P/60 in the SHL and is a few months younger. Not saying i'm confident that he will be some revelation but I have high hopes for him.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
The Brynäs IF will be in the Champions Hockey League, so at least some Pens related hockey to watch in late August (first game 25th of August).

Inkazar

Giving updates on prospects playing in Brynäs IF
Sep 1, 2017
Gävle
Linus Ölund has been great in the starting 4 games in Champions Hockey League. He has 6p, 4G, 2A and +5 in 4 games.
He has been playing 2nd Center with Aaron Palushaj as one winger. He is also playing PP2 and PK.

Highlights:

2nd Game

Easy Game as Cracovia didnt put up much fight. But Ölund was good, 2 goals 3-0 and 5-0. The 5-0 prework is a thing of besuty. https://youtu.be/Cwy1XIz3uv0

3rd Game

Ölund was one of the best players on ice. Had many chanses and setup Palushaj to many good opportunities But they didnt get it into the net exept one, the 4-1 goal. Its was as much Ölunds goal as Palushajs as you can see: https://youtu.be/PWSWhNHman0 (oh and he got an empty netter at the end witch cost me 200$ But thats OT)

4th game
1st Brynäs goal was a beauty from Ölund and the 2nd Goal he made a great assist. He was one of few bright spots in a bleak Brynäs this afternoon: https://youtu.be/UJTAoyNe-tk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->