Lineups in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
There was a thread on the russian board about the predictions for team Russia in 2010. Now, I would like to hear your predictions for the Canadian team in 2010. Nash, Crosby, Bowmeester, Bergeron, Phaneuf, Heatley etc. I'm not enough familiar with the Canadian talent to make my own prediction (except couple of players). The same goes for the other teams!
So, Czechs, Finns, Slovaks, Swedes, Americans! Contribute with your opinions about the lineup of your respective country!!!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Selänne and Numminen will have retired by 2010, and I am assuming that Lehtinen also has retired by that time. Sami Kapanen, Sami Salo and Ville Peltonen probably are out as well.

IMHO, it could look like this:

Saku Koivu
Olli Jokinen
Tuomo Ruutu
Niko Kapanen
Riku Hahl
Petteri Nokelainen
Mikko Koivu
Niklas Hagman
Jarkko Immonen
Lauri Tukonen
Jesse Joensuu
Lauri Korpikoski
Jussi Makkonen
Aki Seitsonen
Jussi Jokinen

Tony Lydman
Janne Niinimaa
Joni Pitkänen
Kimmo Timonen
Ossi Väänänen
Lasse Kukkonen
Teemy Laakso
Ville Mäntymaa

Miikka Kiprusoff
Kari Lehtonen
Vesa Toskala

Kiprusoff will be rather old by that time, but if he keeps playing like he has, I think he might still be around in 2010.

My fellow Finns are likely to tear this proposal to pieces though :)

Last edited:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Kiprusoff might still be around, but not likely get the starting role ahead of Lehtonen. In 5 years Lehtonen will dominate the league (my opinion).

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
TORRUS said:
Kiprusoff might still be around, but not likely get the starting role ahead of Lehtonen. In 5 years Lehtonen will dominate the league (my opinion).

I hope so! He sure has shown good signs. Then there is also Antero Niittymäki, maybe he should be up there instead of Kiprusoff.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Isn't this the World Jr. Championship thread?

Aren't you talking about 10-15 year olds?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
sabresfan65 said:

Nope. This is about the men's national team lineups in 2010. Predicting WCJ lineups five years from now would be almost impossible, IMHO.

By the way: this board is actually about general international hockey. It gets temporarily renamed for each ongoing tournament (WJC for the moment), but they will change the title back to normal after a while.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
sabresfan65 said:

It is supposed to be the International board

No one can possible begin to predict what rosters will be. There's injuries, breakout prospects busts, someone else could be another Martin St. Louis.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
It is supposed to be the International board

No one can possible begin to predict what rosters will be. There's injuries, breakout prospects busts, someone else could be another Martin St. Louis.
Or a great prospect (VERY good) may come in 2008 who we dont know about yet and he could be in the lineup. IMO 2010 is too far to guess.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Just for fun, here's what Total Hockey had as their prediction for the Olympic team in 2002 (for Canada). This was printed in 1998.

Goalies:
M. Brodeur
C. Osgood
F. Potvin

Defense:
R. Blake
C. Pronger
A. Foote
S. Niedermayer

D. Sydor
E. Jovanovski
K. McLaren

Forwards:
P. Kariya
E. Lindros
J. Sakic

K. Primeau
B. Shanahan
T. Linden
J. Friesen
R. Smyth
J. Iginla

E. Daze
K. Draper*
M. Peca
R. Niedermayer

Goaltending had some odd guesses in it, but they did choose their D pretty well. Also, they had no way of knowing Mario was coming back.

I also find it interesting that they chose Kris Draper, and he ended up on the World Cup team.

Just goes to show, though, that choosing a team 4 years down the road is hard enough, let alone ten.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Boucicaut said:
Nope. This is about the men's national team lineups in 2010. Predicting WCJ lineups five years from now would be almost impossible, IMHO.

By the way: this board is actually about general international hockey. It gets temporarily renamed for each ongoing tournament (WJC for the moment), but they will change the title back to normal after a while.

I was just busting peoples chops because of the title of the thread.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
The Albino said:
Just goes to show, though, that choosing a team 4 years down the road is hard enough, let alone ten.

It is not 10 years, it is exactly 5 years. The list for 2002 allready had a lot of veterans and with veterans it's hard to predict since you don't know what will be with them in 2 years. I think it's better to try with younger players.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
TORRUS said:
It is not 10 years, it is exactly 5 years. The list for 2002 allready had a lot of veterans and with veterans it's hard to predict since you don't know what will be with them in 2 years. I think it's better to try with younger players.

Ya, dunno why I said ten. My mind must have been elsewhere. Still, a lofty task.

Continuing with the Total Hockey predictions, here was their list for 2006 (8 years from the time of publishing and just a year from now).

Goalies:
M. Brodeur
M. Denis
R. Luongo

Defense:
C. Pronger
S. Niedermayer
K. McLaren
E. Jovanovski
E. Brewer
R. Jackman
D. Morris

Forwards:
P. Kariya
E. Lindros
J. Friesen
M. Peca
J. Iginla
R. Smyth
E. Daze
J. Thornton
B. Shanahan
R. Niedermayer
V. Lecavalier
R. Fata
C. Gratton

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Albino said:
Ya, dunno why I said ten. My mind must have been elsewhere. Still, a lofty task.

Continuing with the Total Hockey predictions, here was their list for 2006 (8 years from the time of publishing and just a year from now).

Goalies:
M. Brodeur
M. Denis
R. Luongo

Defense:
C. Pronger
S. Niedermayer
K. McLaren
E. Jovanovski
E. Brewer
R. Jackman
D. Morris

Forwards:
P. Kariya
E. Lindros
J. Friesen
M. Peca
J. Iginla
R. Smyth
E. Daze
J. Thornton
B. Shanahan
R. Niedermayer
V. Lecavalier
R. Fata
C. Gratton

:lol:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The Albino said:

Goalies:
M. Brodeur
M. Denis
R. Luongo

Defense:
C. Pronger
S. Niedermayer
K. McLaren
E. Jovanovski
E. Brewer
R. Jackman
D. Morris

Forwards:
P. Kariya
E. Lindros
J. Friesen
M. Peca
J. Iginla
R. Smyth
E. Daze
J. Thornton
B. Shanahan
R. Niedermayer
V. Lecavalier
R. Fata
C. Gratton

:lol: :lol:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Albino said:

Goalies:
M. Brodeur*
M. Denis
R. Luongo*

Defense:
C. Pronger*
S. Niedermayer*
K. McLaren
E. Jovanovski*
E. Brewer*
R. Jackman (why couldn't it be Barrett?)
D. Morris

Forwards:
P. Kariya
E. Lindros
J. Friesen
M. Peca
J. Iginla*
R. Smyth*
E. Daze
J. Thornton*
B. Shanahan
R. Niedermayer
V. Lecavalier*
R. Fata
C. Gratton

* = who I think has an actual good shot at it
That's actually not TOO bad for being 8 years removed.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The Albino said:
Just for fun, here's what Total Hockey had as their prediction for the Olympic team in 2002 (for Canada). This was printed in 1998.

Goalies:
M. Brodeur
C. Osgood
F. Potvin

Defense:
R. Blake
C. Pronger
A. Foote
S. Niedermayer

D. Sydor
E. Jovanovski
K. McLaren

Forwards:
P. Kariya
E. Lindros
J. Sakic

K. Primeau
B. Shanahan
T. Linden
J. Friesen
R. Smyth
J. Iginla

E. Daze
K. Draper*
M. Peca
R. Niedermayer

Goaltending had some odd guesses in it, but they did choose their D pretty well. Also, they had no way of knowing Mario was coming back.

I also find it interesting that they chose Kris Draper, and he ended up on the World Cup team.

LOL, Felix Potvin :lol

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Boucicaut said:
Kiprusoff will be rather old by that time, but if he keeps playing like he has, I think he might still be around in 2010.

:)

Kiprusoff is 28 tops now. In 5 years, he'll be at most, 33. I don't think that would be considered 'rather old' by todays standards, in fact, IMHO, most players are still in their prime until about 34.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
The team's gonna be great in 5 years. Spezza, Nash, Bouwmeester, Staal maybe Horton, Crosby (?), Lecavalier, Richards, Brewer and whichever young gun is coming into form these days.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Barnaby said:
Not the ones that sign with the Rangers... :help:

Rangers excluded, of course. Everyone that goes there is washed up quickly, for some inexplicable reason. Perhaps because they spoil them? :eek:

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Wouldnt these lists include the young guys for Canada? Like yes obviously Iginla will be there and what not but what about Crosby having an outside shot or guys like Phaneuf, Horton, Staal Fleury, 2002 guys and that too though, Spezza will likely make it in 2010.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Cloned said:
* = who I think has an actual good shot at it
That's actually not TOO bad for being 8 years removed.

I agree. I saw the title of this thread, and thought it was a ridiculous challenge. But that 8 year prediction is remarkable really (save for Fata, and few other guys who are only average NHLers).

I'd say Bowmeister, Richards and Heatley may be the glaring omissions (plus I think Daniel Briere will be an elite player soon). But at their age in 98, it would've been tough to predict.
Iginla too of course.

I'm gonna have to check out Total Hockey :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad