Lineup Shuffle

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Question for you guys, based on the fact that Matthews doesn't have a worker bee (Hyman) on his line any more, can Kadri actually step out to the wing and give him that support role? Marleau takes enough faceoffs and is reliable defensively to play the middle, does the swap with Kadri work.

Hyman - JT - Marner
Kadri - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Marleau - Nylander
Ennis/Lindholm - Goat - Brown

Thoughts?

Get Matty going.

Matthews - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Johnsson
Brown - Gauthier - Ennis

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He can't stay healthy. He is out again.
He got a little banged up Sunday, is missing practice, but expected to play Tuesday. That’s a pretty minor concern IMO.

Also, he’s played 47 of 56 games this year, and 71-77 games each of the past 3 years. Very standard health wise.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He got a little banged up Sunday, is missing practice, but expected to play Tuesday. That’s a pretty minor concern IMO.

Also, he’s played 47 of 56 games this year, and 71-77 games each of the past 3 years. Very standard health wise.
He does have ongoing concussion issues. 2 this season. Here's hoping for good health.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He does have ongoing concussion issues. 2 this season. Here's hoping for good health.
Ah, didn’t know they were both concussions, that’s more concerning. He would be a great fit though, might be worth the risk if the price is right.

Reactions: kb

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
A couple of different options to consider.

1. Top-Heavy

Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Nylander - Matthews - Kapanen (WN has played LW well in the past)
Hyman - Kadri - Brown (the shutdown checking line; it'll give Kadri a role again)
Marleau - Goat - Ennis

2. Balanced Lineup

Brown - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander (this has worked before)
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Marleau - Goat - Ennis

I would also be excited for Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander, although I worry they're all small and/or afraid.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I would bet my life that line would generate more puck possession than the current one with Marleau despite having nobody to "go into corners" (good god people just run away with this). Take a look at a lot of Nylander and Johnsson's latest points/goals, they're beating defenders to the puck, getting body position and making plays. In fact Nylander seems to be winning a hell of a lot more puck battles than Marleau lately.

I am not arguing that line would do better possession wise than the line consisting of Marleau or other alternatives. I am suggesting that a type of player which we are lacking would be better with Matthews and Nylander. We could use a skilled net front presence to help drive traffic to the net. Matthews scores the majority of his goals from in close... why not try to get him som help there. Johnsson and Nylander both are very perimiter players. This is good for possession metrics but may not always generate the most scoring.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
1st line: Hyman Tavares Marner-Line works. Nuff said

2nd line: Johnsson Matthews Nylander

Matthews needs a set up man. He can't seem to drive his own line. Which is sad given how much he's getting paid but its the truth since he's come back from injury. Get Nylander back with him. Throw AJ on their wing to as Marleau sucks

3rd line: Marleau Kadri Kapanen

-Marleau isn't getting put on the 4th line so best to just put him back with Kadri

4th line: Moore Goat Brown

-Think they'd make a effective 4th line. Get Moore back up please.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Marleau's play warrants a few games in the press box but that will never happen even if he kills lines and sinks the team.

He has his consecutive games streak that doesn't allow a 39 year old to have a game off for maintenance.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
1st line: Hyman Tavares Marner-Line works. Nuff said

2nd line: Johnsson Matthews Nylander

Matthews needs a set up man. He can't seem to drive his own line. Which is sad given how much he's getting paid but its the truth since he's come back from injury. Get Nylander back with him. Throw AJ on their wing to as Marleau sucks

3rd line: Marleau Kadri Kapanen

-Marleau isn't getting put on the 4th line so best to just put him back with Kadri

4th line: Moore Goat Brown

-Think they'd make a effective 4th line. Get Moore back up please.
You will kill the 3rd line again. Kadri playing with brown and willy has been our most effective unit past few games. As soon as you put Marleau back there it will kill that line again. Bottom line Matty needs to up his game or sit. He is not giving his all.. Once he starts to play properly again that line will be fine. He has driven his own line no problem in recent past. Right now we have 2 solid lines and Matty can easily up his game. Our 4th line is also fine. There is no issue here except Matty getting his game back. And at his money he better find his game pretty quick.

Reactions: dsred

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Question for you guys, based on the fact that Matthews doesn't have a worker bee (Hyman) on his line any more, can Kadri actually step out to the wing and give him that support role? Marleau takes enough faceoffs and is reliable defensively to play the middle, does the swap with Kadri work.

Hyman - JT - Marner
Kadri - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Marleau - Nylander
Ennis/Lindholm - Goat - Brown

Thoughts?

I feel Kapanen is a better version of Hyman playing on the matthews line. I just feel we should stop shuffling the third line to get the top lines going. Treat the team as a three prong attack.
I don't understand the logic of moving a player up when he has been doing well with Kadri. Marleau and now Nylander seem to have shown chemistry with him so why keep moving them? Just let that be our super strong third line. Matthews has enough good winger options in Kapanen and AJ.

For me this should be ideal
Hyman JT Marner
AJ AM Kap
Marleau Naz Nylander
Brown GOAT lindholm/ennis

I would maybe give goat a try on Kadri's wing in place of marleau to see what a big body does to his play.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I feel Kapanen is a better version of Hyman playing on the matthews line. I just feel we should stop shuffling the third line to get the top lines going. Treat the team as a three prong attack.
I don't understand the logic of moving a player up when he has been doing well with Kadri. Marleau and now Nylander seem to have shown chemistry with him so why keep moving them? Just let that be our super strong third line. Matthews has enough good winger options in Kapanen and AJ.

For me this should be ideal
Hyman JT Marner
AJ AM Kap
Marleau Naz Nylander
Brown GOAT lindholm/ennis

I would maybe give goat a try on Kadri's wing in place of marleau to see what a big body does to his play.
This is not true. When Marleau was moved off Kadri's line to start break and brown moved on it the line started producing points. The issue is Marleau had 3 strong games with Matty to start the break and now his back is out of alignment again. And Matty is suffering. But he needs to pick himself up even if playing short handed. Since Marleau is a HOFer no one wants to move him to the 4th line where he really belongs now. It is not his fault it is his back. He gets it worked on hard with chiro between 1st and 2nd and then takes ice baths before the 3rd to try to loosen it up.

Reactions: Leafling

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs were tied for 6th. overall in the NHL last year.

Leafs replaced Bozak with Tavares
van Riemsdyk with Kapanen

Leafs are now 6th. overall in the NHL.

Did we expect to see improvement when they made those transactions?

Johnsson - Tavares - Kapanen
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
don't - care - here
Ennis, Lindholm, Gauthier, Brown, Moore

Are the best Leafs assets even in the line-up?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This is not true. When Marleau was moved off Kadri's line to start break and brown moved on it the line started producing points. The issue is Marleau had 3 strong games with Matty to start the break and now his back is out of alignment again. And Matty is suffering. But he needs to pick himself up even if playing short handed. Since Marleau is a HOFer no one wants to move him to the 4th line where he really belongs now. It is not his fault it is his back. He gets it worked on hard with chiro between 1st and 2nd and then takes ice baths before the 3rd to try to loosen it up.

Can't even sit him out to rest him for the playoffs because he has the streak. Something will have to be done in the offseason because you cannot carry him another year you think you have a shot at the SC.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
With the way Nylander has played lately, he deserves a shot at playing with Matthews again. Also, time to move Marleau down the lineup. He's killing the first line and can contribute more when playing against lesser competition.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Gauthier-Brown
Lindholm

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Babcock's refusal to change anything is the problem here. His stubbornness hurts this team IMO.
Almost all of Leafs nation, and members of the media were begging to try Marner with Matthews to give the team a boost and he finally did that.In his first interview with the media he acknowledged the change, and being his own stubborn, proud self he stated it probably wouldn't last long. Maybe not even after warm-ups.

Johnsson is on fire and in his last 4 games he's played 11:51, 9:31, 13:01, and 13:40 with 4 goals and 3 assists. Meanwhile Marleau seems to have AM anchored down and he refuses to change the line.
Marleau in his last 4 games has played 16:11, 14:24, 16:03 and 16:14 with 1 assist. It's stubbornness, and pride that's hurting this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred and SAMCRO44

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marleau's first 3 games back with Matty after the week long+ break he got 4 points and played like a HOFer.

His last 3 games with Matty his game has gone invisible again. A total passenger.

He needs to play a week then break a week to rest his back and then play a week and so forth. He can't do it night in night out. His back won't allow it.

Reactions: Erdinger

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015

I agree on the age part, I only hope he can save himself for the playoff period.
I also feel two three games are NOT a big enough sample to make conclusions. He was on the Matthews line for most part of the initial season and didn't do well at all. Looked somewhat better with Naz though. Brown on the other hand had been absolutely horrible to start of season and has only looked great in short bursts that too after being demoted to the fourth line duties. I would much rather play Moore or Ennis up the line-up in place of Brown.

Reactions: Erdinger

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I like Moore right now more than both Marleau and Brown but that is a pipe dream which will never happen with Babs

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Can't even sit him out to rest him for the playoffs because he has the streak. Something will have to be done in the offseason because you cannot carry him another year you think you have a shot at the SC.
I could understand if he was going to break Doug Jarvis's record but unless he plays beyond next season that isn't possible so his pursuit of 3rd or 4th longest hurts the team

Reactions: ToneDog

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I could understand if he was going to break Doug Jarvis's record but unless he plays beyond next season that isn't possible so his pursuit of 3rd or 4th longest hurts the team

Jarvis' streak would be a tougher one to break. I could be wrong, but I think Gordie Howe's all time GP streak is the one being referred to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->