Lineup Shuffle

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Guarantee this didn't happen. Matthews would love to have Hyman back on his wing, I think the more likely scenario is JT expressing that he doesn't want him off his.

Then who is the most like Hyman? Find him, put him and Nylander with Matthews.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That was last season but this year he has been terrible with Kadri
They are not a good fit anymore
Kadri needs someone who can forecheck and get pucks which Marleau could do last year

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
That was last season but this year he has been terrible with Kadri
They are not a good fit anymore
Kadri needs someone who can forecheck and get pucks which Marleau could do last year

Then put any of Johnsson, Kapanen or Brown on the other side.

They can't have Matthews' line being as inconsistent as they've been since being put together.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The stats say Marleau has killed every line he’s been on this year. In the ideal world he’d be on the fourth line but I know that’s not realistic. I don’t think there’s a single NHL coach, for better or worse, that would put Marleau on the 4th line.

apollo

May 3, 2009
I agree with Nylander back with Matthew's. Kadri line has been good, but Matthew's has been a negative player for the last couple weeks.

With him on I think we'll be at another level. Helps Kapanen has been good with Kadri as well.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-JT-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Brown-Lindholm-Ennis

The LW's can alternate during games, but I'd stick with top 3 lines otherwise.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Johnsson - - - Kadri - - - Brown
Marleau - - - Gauthier - - Ennis

Muzzin - - - Rielly
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

While I cannot stand the Gardiner/Zaitsev pair, I think it would be in the teams long term best interest to allow Rielly and Muzzin to Gel, and allow Hainsey to mentor Dermott.

Matthews, Tavares, Kadri and Marleau are the designated snipers

Nylander, Marner, Johnsson and Ennis the playmakers (all of them can score as well)

Kapanen, Hyman, Brown and Gauthier are the designated worker bees. With Kapanen being able to contribute offensively

Reactions: saffronleaf

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
All I know is we win yesterday if Nylander had Matthews to pass to.

Give Kadri's 10 mediocre shot attempts to Matthews and Matthews gets a hat trick.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lots of chatter out there about Ferland, I think he’d be a great pickup. He’s expiring, wonder if we can get him for something like Brown + 2nd? If so:

Ferland - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - JT - Marner
AJ - Naz - Kapanen
Marleau - Goat - Lindholm

That’d give us a killer top 9, and still a very good 4th line. Ferland would walk in the offseason (no $$ to retain him), but he could be a great rental, think he’d look real nice with Matthews and Nylander.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Ideally:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Kadri-Kapanen
Marleau-Gauthier-Brown
Ennis/Lindholm

-Love Hyman but his primary point rate is attrocious for the line he plays on. He works hard but I think Moore works just as hard in the corners and has a much higher skill set. This would give us two top heavy lines like Tampa and the bottom 6 should still be able to produce nicely.

*I know this would never happen with Babs running the team though. Loves Hyman, Marleau, and Brown way too much.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
How can Babcock watch the supposed #2 player in the league having no results game after game and not realize Marleau is killing that line?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hyman-Tavares-Marner: our best, most consistent line
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander: Matthews and Nylander have great chemistry, and Johnsson is a perfect fit with them
Moore-Kadri-Kapanen: two fast and high intensity wingers for Kadri to create havoc against other 3rd lines
Marleau-Gauthier-Brown: solid 4th line, should be able to outplay other 4th liners
-can switch Marleau and Moore if Moore doesn't seem like he can handle 3rd line competition yet

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
My concern about having Johnsson with Matthews and Nylander is that no one would go into the corners and they would be exposed on D. Man would it be great to get a rental like Wayne Simmonds to do that Job with Matthews.

Reactions: saffronleaf

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
My concern about having Johnsson with Matthews and Nylander is that no one would go into the corners and they would be exposed on D. Man would it be great to get a rental like Wayne Simmonds to do that Job with Matthews.

I would bet my life that line would generate more puck possession than the current one with Marleau despite having nobody to "go into corners" (good god people just run away with this). Take a look at a lot of Nylander and Johnsson's latest points/goals, they're beating defenders to the puck, getting body position and making plays. In fact Nylander seems to be winning a hell of a lot more puck battles than Marleau lately.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How can Babcock watch the supposed #2 player in the league having no results game after game and not realize Marleau is killing that line?
I've been repeatedly told that he's a Malkin-level talent. That level of talent shouldn't be that limited by Marleau.

How bout it's time we see some Malkin-level results since he's being paid and touted like one.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The impact of having a grinder on these lines is greatly exaggerated because Tavares/Marner are so deadly.

I don't care if you hit a guy, just get the puck, keep it in your possession, and score. If you strip a guy with a stick check it's just as good. You can't get exposed on D if you always have the puck.

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander would be deadly if given the proper chance.

Sep 18, 2009
I've been repeatedly told that he's a Malkin-level talent. That level of talent shouldn't be that limited by Marleau.

How bout it's time we see some Malkin-level results since he's being paid and touted like one.
Great players make the others around them better. Matthews been floating like a poor mans nylander

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I would bet my life that line would generate more puck possession than the current one with Marleau despite having nobody to "go into corners" (good god people just run away with this). Take a look at a lot of Nylander and Johnsson's latest points/goals, they're beating defenders to the puck, getting body position and making plays. In fact Nylander seems to be winning a hell of a lot more puck battles than Marleau lately.
Marleau is the ultimate Babcock player. A plug who is a hall of famer

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Lots of chatter out there about Ferland, I think he’d be a great pickup. He’s expiring, wonder if we can get him for something like Brown + 2nd? If so:

Ferland - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - JT - Marner
AJ - Naz - Kapanen
Marleau - Goat - Lindholm

That’d give us a killer top 9, and still a very good 4th line. Ferland would walk in the offseason (no $$ to retain him), but he could be a great rental, think he’d look real nice with Matthews and Nylander.
He can't stay healthy. He is out again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad