Lineup Shuffle

znkhan

Feb 22, 2013
Question for you guys, based on the fact that Matthews doesn't have a worker bee (Hyman) on his line any more, can Kadri actually step out to the wing and give him that support role? Marleau takes enough faceoffs and is reliable defensively to play the middle, does the swap with Kadri work.

Hyman - JT - Marner
Kadri - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Marleau - Nylander
Ennis/Lindholm - Goat - Brown

Thoughts?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Question for you guys, based on the fact that Matthews doesn't have a worker bee (Hyman) on his line any more, can Kadri actually step out to the wing and give him that support role? Marleau takes enough faceoffs and is reliable defensively to play the middle, does the swap with Kadri work.

Hyman - JT - Marner

Thoughts?
Marleau-Nylander-Johnsson
People forget he takes faceoffs all of the time and has done well at them his whole career. Was also drafted as a C/RW so it seems natural he'd go to the middle.

Reactions: supermann_98
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Johnsson – Matthews – Nylander
Hyman – Tavares – Marner
Marleau – Kadri – Kapanen
Ennis/Lindholm – Gauthier/Lindholm – Brown

Given Babcock's lineup rules, these are probably the best combinations. Naz and Marleau have played together in the past, and our best LW is deservedly higher in the lineup. Ideally, I'd have Trevor Moore on the 4th line, but yeah...

OP- I do like the idea of playing Naz with Matthews when the leafs aren't generating much.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Hyman - JT - Marner

Thoughts?
Or he could actually do it himself once and a while instead of waiting around for a pass followed by a predictably long wrist shot.

Reactions: Erdinger

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Hyman – Tavares – Marner
This is the winner winner chicken dinner right here.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Marleau to 4th and brown to Matthews. Marleau will never be on the 4th so that being said, leave the lines the way they are or we'll never develop consistency for the playoffs... then hope Marleau plays like a champ in the playoffs like he usually does.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They should put Brown on the top line with Matthews and Nylander ;)

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
Hyman – Tavares – Marner
I like these lineups the best. Johnsson and Hyman should be interchangeable on any given night, even during games depending on how the lines work.
Nylander, now that he is back to his old self, is being wasted with Kadri. He should give Mathews the skill winger he needs to be dangerous again.
Kapanan is not an overly skill player but his speed can create chaos and fits the style of plays of Kadri (and Marleau) well. These 3 can also form an effective shut down line while contributing offensively occasionally.

Reactions: kb

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Babcock won’t put hyman back with Matthews because Matthews told him he didn’t want him. Kind of a lesson...for Matthews.

That’s my theory....

It was short lived, but the Hyman-Matthews-Nylander line was reunited earlier this season. The separation of Matthews and Hyman may have been a player request, but I believe Matthews did say he wanted to have more assists than goals this season. Putting him with the team's best (returning) goal scoring winger from a season ago seemed like a sound idea towards that.

We'd figure a healthy Matthews would be at or near the top of the team goal scoring lead. If he'd have more assists than goals to go along with that, it would be to the overall benefit of the team.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
A coach should never to be told by a player what is best for a team. He is not yet the captain. I don't like the kids today when they do that.

Guarantee this didn't happen. Matthews would love to have Hyman back on his wing, I think the more likely scenario is JT expressing that he doesn't want him off his.

horner

May 22, 2007
Babcock won’t put hyman back with Matthews because Matthews told him he didn’t want him. Kind of a lesson...for Matthews.

That’s my theory....
Seems thats what was said
Mathews is really good at diging those pucks out and getting invoved physically.
Wait thats what hyman does for tavares and marner.
I think they appreciate his hard work.

horner

May 22, 2007
Guarantee this didn't happen. Matthews would love to have Hyman back on his wing, I think the more likely scenario is JT expressing that he doesn't want him off his.
I think if either senario happened then they arent a team player.
Somthing did happen for babs to change it up.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I think if either senario happened then they arent a team player.
Somthing did happen for babs to change it up.

Again, didn't mean that JT demanded he stays. Just that he likes what he brings to the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad