Line Combos: Lineup Combos we haven't seen that could work

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Time for some line changes Therrien....

Offense and the PP are just not here as of late. Prust and Moen should not play on two different lines.... Separate Plekanec from Gionta and DD from Pactioretty. Time to move Galchenyuk to center with Pactioretty. Also Bergevin should look into bringing in a nice offensive winger.

samsquanch9*

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Bournival
Bourque - Eller - Gallagher
Briere - Plekanec - Gionta
Prust - Moen - White

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Murray - Diaz

Price
Budaj

OR

Briere - Desharnais - Gionta
DB - DD - BG
5'8 - 5'7 - 5'7
$4m - $3.5 - $5m

Either of these two will work. And yes, split up Subban and Markov. Subban was way better last year regardless of points.

ginovegas

Dec 15, 2009
Montreal
Gionta and Pacioretty are RW's, not LW's.

I'd prefer:

Pacioretty Plekanec Bournival
Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher
Bourque Deshairnais Gionta
Moen White Prust
Briere/Parros

Subban Markov
Gorges Emelin
Murray Diaz
Bouillon

Max is a left winger
and now you have 2 left wingers on same line, Max and Bournival

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Galchenyuk Desharnais Gionta
Pacioretty Desharnais Briere
Bourque Desharnais Gallagher
Moen Desharnais Prust

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Offense and the PP are just not here as of late. Prust and Moen should not play on two different lines.... Separate Plekanec from Gionta and DD from Pactioretty. Time to move Galchenyuk to center with Pactioretty. Also Bergevin should look into bringing in a nice offensive winger.

Game winner DD to Patches...lol

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Shutt --- Plekanec ---Lafleur (Pleky gets two REAL wingers)
Patches -- Muller ---Damphousee
LeClair --- Galchenyuk -- Gallagher
Corson-- Carbo---McPhee

Chelios --- Subban
Savard --- Robinson
Lapointe --- Markov

Dryden
Price

Bowman - Coach
Savard - GM

Bring on anyone!!! :yo:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Gally needs to be the go to shooter on his line. He needs to rekindle his chemistry with Galchenyuk. While it would be nice to see the EGG line back in action, that would mean they'd be playing under 15 minutes a game. I'd opt to seperate Gionta from Plekanec and put together these two lines:

Galchenyuk - Plek - Gallagher. There have been countless occasions where had it been Gally instead of Gionta infront of the net, we would've had a goal. This line will be a threat offensively, and should play around 18 minutes per game. It takes a step back defensively, but it should still be adequate with Plek at center.

Bourque - Eller - Gionta. Despite all the flack that Gionta's been getting, he's still a great defensive player. He has a knack for breaking up plays and getting in the passing lanes. He could be a very useful defensive 3rd liner, and would be if not for his salary. Bourque and Eller are also good in their own zone. This could be a very solid 3rd checking line; limit chances in our zone, go strong on the forecheck and pitch in for a goal here and there.

4th line is pretty standard, and since Patches insists on being with DD, let them stay with Briere if it means that we have a great 1st line and a solid 3rd line. Or make a small move to acquire a bigger right handed winger for that line. No one too special, just someone who can crash and bang and provide them time/space.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Why not put DD on the wing, i know he's not big enough to do the dirty work, win board battle and retrieve the puck.. but it's not like he don't have flaws as a center.

Pacioretty-Eller-DD (I see a lot of potentianl for this line)
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta (Vets line)
Prust/Bourque-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (Gallys reunited, Chuckie at center, enough said)
Moen-White-Prust/Bournival

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Eller-Borque
Bournival- DD- Gionta
Moen-White-Parros

That can also work, but DD cannot be physically separated from Pacioretty. The biggest takeaway is Galch - Plek - Gally, which should be a heck of a line.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Pacioretty-Eller-Briere
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Bournival-Plekanec-Andrighetto
Prust-White-Moen

That's right, F U Desharnais and Gionta. Bringing up the Swiss rookie, injured or not, he's better than Gio

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
I think we need a little shake up!

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Briere - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais
Prust - White - Moen

Markov - Emelin
Subban - Gorges
Murray - Diaz

Price

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Really wondering what a

Pacioretty-Eller-DD

line would do.

They'd be able to face tougher matchups, allow galchenyuk to play center as well.

Galchenyuk's first time as C was with Gallagher and Prust with easier minutes, this can be re-united with briere/bourque/prust in the last winger spot.

Briere-Plekanec-Gionta had some success
Pacioretty-Eller-Desharnais max and DD have chemistry and Eller can help the defensive side of the game
Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher had success and existing chemistry

ye?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd really like to see Gio seperated from Plex and get some better balance on the lines.

Bournival Plex Bourque - Bounival adds energy and cycles well with Plex. Bourque adds physicality and scoring touch

Patches DD Prust - DD and Patches work best together. Prusts is on in place of the role Cole played in crashing the net and being physical.

Chucky Eller Gally - Tried tested and true. Skill, energy, size and chemistry. Keep it going.

Moen White Gio - Physical with speed, toughness and some scoring ability. I kow you can't put the captain on the 4th but he isn't producing at a top 9 level and the match up for him could help spark his offence.

Markov PK
Gorges Emelin
Murray Diaz

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'd really like to see Gio seperated from Plex and get some better balance on the lines.

Bournival Plex Bourque - Bounival adds energy and cycles well with Plex. Bourque adds physicality and scoring touch

Patches DD Prust - DD and Patches work best together. Prusts is on in place of the role Cole played in crashing the net and being physical.

Chucky Eller Gally - Tried tested and true. Skill, energy, size and chemistry. Keep it going.

Moen White Gio - Physical with speed, toughness and some scoring ability. I kow you can't put the captain on the 4th but he isn't producing at a top 9 level and the match up for him could help spark his offence.

Markov PK
Gorges Emelin
Murray Diaz

Separating gio and Plekanec isn't a bad idea but replacing Galchenyuk/Gionta with Bournival/Bourque is an obvious downgrade. Despite more GPG than Gionta, Bourque hasn't done much offensively in his time here.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Separating gio and Plekanec isn't a bad idea but replacing Galchenyuk/Gionta with Bournival/Bourque is an obvious downgrade. Despite more GPG than Gionta, Bourque hasn't done much offensively in his time here.

I agree that pulling Chuckie from Plex is a downgrade but it's done to spark the EGG line. Plex and Bournival have had very good chemistry in past games and Bourque is more effective on the right, I'd say more so than Gio and can create space if he ever decides to use his size.

I was shooting for more balanced scoring rather than loading up 2 lines. If I wanted to load up the lines I'd go with:

Chuckie Plex Bourque
Patches DD Gallagher
Moen Eller Gio
Bournival White Prust

Which also doesn't look bad but it's been done (for the most part) and this thread is about trying new combos.

Or maybe go with

Chuckie Plex Gally
Patches DD Bourque
Bournival Eller Gio
Moen White Prust

Point is there's a bunch of combos that can be done, that haven't, that can change the look and feel of this line up, none of which include Briere ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->