Line Combos: Lines Until Matthews is Back

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I don't understand putting Nylander at center when they clearly stated he will be on the wing this season. Marleau is playing center for that very reason. Marleau - Kadri - Bozak- Gauthier will be down the middle.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I dunno about you guys but I was impressed with Martin-Moore-Leivo last game. They sustained pressure and played very well IMO.

Reactions: Rogie

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I will keep it simple. My wish is ANY line combinations where JVR/Bozak remain separated.

This gives the best chance (jmo) to develop some improvement 'defensively' for the forward group, even if it's just a little bit.

I don't think separating them gives up offense as JVR will contribute just as well with Marleau or whomever he's with.

And Bozak seems to have had chemistry with Marner as well.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I will keep it simple. My wish is ANY line combinations where JVR/Bozak remain separated.

This gives the best chance (jmo) to develop some improvement 'defensively' for the forward group, even if it's just a little bit.

I don't think separating them gives up offense as JVR will contribute just as well with Marleau or whomever he's with.

And Bozak seems to have had chemistry with Marner as well.

I really liked how Bozak Marner and Martin looked in their time together. It looks like Bozak-JVR-Marner is back as a line for at least now though.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I really liked how Bozak Marner and Martin looked in their time together. It looks like Bozak-JVR-Marner is back as a line for at least now though.

I hope not! Why do you think they are back together - aside from some overlap of shifts they weren't a line last game - or did I miss something?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I hope not! Why do you think they are back together - aside from some overlap of shifts they weren't a line last game - or did I miss something?

They were a line last game, they practiced together yesterday and it sounds like all three have been asking Babcock to put them back together.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
They were a line last game, they practiced together yesterday and it sounds like all three have been asking Babcock to put them back together.

I didn't think they were a line last game - I must have fell asleep during the game then.

I'm wrong - you are right! They played quite a bit togetther last game - might have been because we scored early and got ahead.

I was thinking about the 3rd period (i think) where they were separated a little bit.

ANYWAYS, too bad, - the more they are apart - THE BETTER for our team - imo

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Oh I don't have one I just heard it listening to some hockey sports thing while walking my dog, can't remember. If I thought it was fact I'd have added a link or something.

It could totally be false, the Leafs are so good at keeping rumors to a minimum.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I’m getting concerned this injury is worse than most think. Leafs are awfully quiet .

The Leafs have not been awfully quiet. Babcock has addressed the injury on multiple occasions. This is a natural spot to give AM a week off. They don't play until Thursday.

I'm more concern about the teams chasing them with games at hand. This 3 game win streak came at a good time.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I looked to see if there was more info in a thread re: the Matthews injury.
There doesn't seem to be.
Without reading through all your threads is there any ideas?
Did he block a shot, pull a muscle?
Or is it all a mystery?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
More in line with Hyman/Komarov.

Babcock builds his lines with: Forechecker / Playmaker / Finisher

Soshnikov is definitely the Forechecker. So he's earmarked to replace Komarov, or Martin.

Do people agree with this ?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Probs something like this:

JVR. - Bozak - Marner - have earned right to stay together
Komarov. Kadri. Brown.
Hyman. Marleau. Nylander
Martin. Moore Leivo/Soshnikov

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
jvr-bozak-marner have been playing great. it must have been an early season slump or whatever, lets keep em together.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
What's more interesting is what happens when Matthews comes back. As in, who gets the honour of playing with Martin and Moore? Can't see Babcock breaking up JVR-Bozak-Marner right now; no way in hell he throws Marleau down there; Brown has taken Nylander's spot playing with Hyman, and was even playing with Hyman/Matthews before Matthews got injured. So it's looking like Komarov or Nylander and we all know how much Babs loves the Kadri/Komarov combo...could we really be seeing Willie on the fourth line?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
What's more interesting is what happens when Matthews comes back. As in, who gets the honour of playing with Martin and Moore? Can't see Babcock breaking up JVR-Bozak-Marner right now; no way in hell he throws Marleau down there; Brown has taken Nylander's spot playing with Hyman, and was even playing with Hyman/Matthews before Matthews got injured. So it's looking like Komarov or Nylander and we all know how much Babs loves the Kadri/Komarov combo...could we really be seeing Willie on the fourth line?

It will be Brown, once Matthews returns I bet Hyman Matthews Nylander does as well.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Maybe. But it wouldn't surprise me if Babs tried to send a message to Willie, just like he did with Mitch. It wouldn't be the first time he's dropped Willie to the fourth line and he was benched for a while a couple games ago.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
wouldn't be the least surprised. has brown really taken nylander's spot? or is it just because matthews is out? i think brown will go back to the 4th line when matthews comes back and nylander will skate alongside matthews on the top line.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Yes, JVR/Bozak have been good the last 3 games, and I'll give them credit for that.

Just keep it up = prove me wrong.

I still think separating them is best for the team.

On the other hand, one or both of them may well be gone before the trade deadline and it is all mute.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Looks like Hyman is still excelling without Matthews, now setting up Marleau for his goals, while Nylander seems to be struggling without Auston on his line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad