Line Combos: Lines post-deadline

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Actually kind of exciting to think about matchups.

EpicDegree

Aug 31, 2007
cbuscheapseats.blogspot.com
I like 1 and 2- Johanson on the big line with Gaborik, keeping the AAC line together. But I switch Dubinsky and Letestu

So...

Prospal-Johanson-Gaborik
Atkinson-Anisimov-Calvert
Umberger-Letestu-Foligno
Comeau-Dubinsky-MacKenzie
Gilles Boller

I like that, how I was thinking as well. I remember seeing something the other day that when Dubi came back he would be centering the fourth line because Richards didn't want to mess with chemistry too much. Having said that, the above is really only keeping one line intact (AAC). If that is still the plan, what you might see instead (not my preference) is:

Prospal-Letestu-Gaborik
Umberger-Johanson-Foligno
Gilles-Dubinsky-MacKenzie
Boller Comeau

With Comeau splitting time on the fourth line with Gilles when he gets in the fold.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
So...

Prospal-Johanson-Gaborik
Umberger-Letestu-Foligno
Comeau-Dubinsky-MacKenzie
Gilles Boller

I like that, how I was thinking as well. I remember seeing something the other day that when Dubi came back he would be centering the fourth line because Richards didn't want to mess with chemistry too much. Having said that, the above is really only keeping one line intact (AAC). If that is still the plan, what you might see instead (not my preference) is:

Prospal-Letestu-Gaborik
Umberger-Johanson-Foligno
Gilles-Dubinsky-MacKenzie
Boller Comeau

With Comeau splitting time on the fourth line with Gilles when he gets in the fold.

You're right, I wouldn't be too surprised to see that. I don't like it, I think Johansen ought to be earning top line duties now, and as someone else pointed out he has done well against other top lines in the league, i.e. against Vancouver. But the Umberger - Johansen - Foligno does have some chemistry, so keeping them together, and justifiably as #3, would not surprise me.

Seems a bit high rent for #55 though

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Let me give it a shot

Calvert - Anisimov - Atkinson
Foligno/Umberger - Johansen - Gaborik
Foligno/Umberger - Dubinsky - Prospal
MacKenzie - Letestu - Comeau
Gillies Boll (Injured)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You're right, I wouldn't be too surprised to see that. I don't like it, I think Johansen ought to be earning top line duties now, and as someone else pointed out he has done well against other top lines in the league, i.e. against Vancouver. But the Umberger - Johansen - Foligno does have some chemistry, so keeping them together, and justifiably as #3, would not surprise me.

Seems a bit high rent for #55 though

I'm thinking the key word here is ought. I'm not a great hockey theorist but if he has had some success playing against other teams top lines wouldn't that indicate him being more of a third line checker than a top line guy? I know teams do on occasion match up top lines but isn't it text book to not do so? To me Joey is not a 1st line center yet in the mold of Datsyuk, Crosby, Kopitar, et al. Hopefully someday but for now, I'd keep him where he seems most effective.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Lines from the DGT and per Dispatch preview "Probable Lines."

Umberger-Johansen-Gaborik
Calvert-Anisimov-Atkinson
Letestu-Dubinsky-Prospal
Gillies-MacKenzie-Foligno

We'll see if those hold, and if so, how long they last.

Gaborik gets Foligno's old spot, while Nick fills in the empty winger space left over. Dubi gets Brass' spot, while CAA abides.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm expecting Comeau after tonight's game so I'll simply throw out my suggestion when the roster is complete:

Foligno-Anisimov-Gaborik
Umberger-Johansen-Atkinson
Calvert-Dubinsky-Prospal
Comeau-Letestu-Boll
MacKenzie

JMFJ-Prout
Tyutin-Erixon
Nikitin-Wisniewski
Aucoin

Bobrovsky
Leighton

I would put the Anisimov line as the "top" line which may draw the tough pairing away from the 2nd line and open up the offense a little more. Anisimov's line should be dangerous yet very solid as a 2-way line (Gaborik is not a liability defensively). The 3rd line should be a "plus" line and the fourth has a shot to chip in on the offensive side and Comeau and Letestu get special teams play to add to their minutes.

I'm disappointed to see Moore go. I really think he's going to be a "plus" 2nd pair guy sooner rather than later. I also see a need to move a contract or two from this team if possible and add a little more skill.

Last edited:

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
Keep Calvert - Cam & Artem together. The line has been clicking.

Put Gaborik with Duby and Prospal.

Umberger / Johansen / Foligno droped to the 3rd line.

DMac - Letestu - Boll will be the regular 4th line.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Prospal - Johansen - Gaborik
Calvert - Anisimov - Atkinson
Foligno - Dubinsky - Umberger
MacKenzie - Letestu - Comeau

I think Gaborik would work really well with Prospal and Johansen. I would keep the "2nd line" together, since they have been playing well. I really like the idea of Foligno, Dubinsky, and Umberger being on a line toghether. The 4th line is about as good of a 4th line as we have probably ever had.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'd go with:

Prospal-Johansen-Gaborik
Calvert-Anisimov-Atkinson
Umberger-Dubinsky-Foligno
Boll-Mackenzie-Letestu
Gillies

Agree that you don't break up with CAA line. But I've been waiting all year to see what Johan can do with a finisher, Gaborik has speed and vision on another level from anyone else on this team and the two of them could be a legit scoring threat.

That is pretty much what I have.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The problem with lines is the expected TOI for designated lines... how can our second leading scorer be limited to 7 or 8 minutes a night.... I know what rolling four lines is all about but Letestu has earned more than 4th line duty.

He will get time on the PK and it just makes our team better by moving everyone down. Letestu should be on the 3rd or 4th line. He would have been on the 4th line all year, most likely, if we had a full team.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Rangers fan here. Gaborik has had some awesome chemistry with Prospal and Anisimov in the past. I'd try to get that going again. Moreso with Prospal though. How are Johansen's playmaking skills?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Rangers fan here. Gaborik has had some awesome chemistry with Prospal and Anisimov in the past. I'd try to get that going again. Moreso with Prospal though. How are Johansen's playmaking skills?

Personally I think Johansen is improving his skills but is not there yet... I'd like to see more swagger out of him, he has the goods.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Personally I think Johansen is improving his skills but is not there yet... I'd like to see more swagger out of him, he has the goods.

If anything, his big body at center will make some room for Gaborik. They can complement each other well.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Hard to break up the Calvert-Anisimov-Atkinson line, which has been one of our best over the past few weeks. I wouldn't mind trying Gabby next to Dubinsky and Prospal, though. I'm not a huge Johansen fan.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Gaborik
Foligno - Johansen - Atkinson
Umberger - Prospal - Letestu
Calvert - MacKenzie - Boll

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
The clear consensus here is no one besides Todd Richards has any idea what our lines will look like

I don't like DMac at wing though, he's too good at faceoffs and defensively at center, and as someone pointed out earlier, we do play our 4th line a lot, which rests the other lines and gives them more energy for the end of the game. Comeau-DMac-Letestu is a line which will generate offense.

The other issue is that many of these parts can be moved around, so injuries or penalties can be better adjusted for. We have people who can score on every line, and that's a nice luxury entering a playoff push.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad