Line Combos: Lines have to be changed for the game in LA.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
I think Todd needs to roll 3 lines a LOT more for game 7 on road.

TJ - JT - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Wingels
Sheppard - Pavs - Gomez/Desi
Burish - Gomez/Desi

7 Dmen
MEV - Braun
Stuart - Hannan
Boyle - Irwin - Demers
Neimi

BTW, I pick Pavelski to get the GWer

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
change-nothing-for-seo.jpg

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
I can understand the idea of switching lines around considering the that LA has the last change at home. But I can also understand not making any major line changes, considering how well we've played despite our record in away this series.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Kearns/Desi needs to be scratched and they need to go with 7D. Knowing TMac they wont make any changes of course.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They have been even with the Kings every single game except game 5. In fact the -2 is equal to the Sharks even strength goal differential in the series. So your solution is to water couture line down... that doesn't make any sense.

The point isn't to play even with them. The point is to win a game on the road where LA will more or less dictate matchups. My solution is to take Pavelski off of a line where he isn't contributing anything and move him to a spot where he is more comfortable that could use his abilities on both sides of the puck.

Again, if Pavelski was doing anything that resembled contributing to Marleau and Couture there, I could see your point but he isn't doing anything there and could be better utilized in the center spot on the team's weakest line.

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
Pavelski NEEDS to be the 3c for the Sharks to have a chance at winning game 7 (unless Niemi gets a shutout or plays out of his mind)

The bottom 6 has been getting dominated in possession lately. The Thornton line is the only line able to get possession back. The Couture line has also been getting beat but I think they would play much better if the bottom 6 were able to contribute more often by pushing the play. We need Pavelski on the third line to help balance the team and create more possession and overall flow. (Besides he isn't even playing well with Marleau/Couture)

But that probably won't happen and everyone on these forums will be calling for Thornton and Marleau's head because it will seem like they aren't doing anything when in reality everytime they step on the ice they start in the defensive zone because the bottom 6 is getting eaten up.

Last edited:

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
I would like to see Pavs on line 3 tmrw as well. A lot of you have made very interesting, logical, understandable posts. But to put it simply from my point of view the last two games for sure, Logan's line has been pretty ****** outside of his one chance late in the shift in game 6 and the 2 semi breaks from Patty. Pavs did not help them, nor himself, nor the team by playing next to them, and all that did was weaken our 3rd and 4th lines significantly. Based on his lack of production on line 2, what have we got to lose by putting him on line 3? I like Wingels' game this whole series. He's due. Put him with Logan and Patty and let him throw his weight around a bit to create space. GO SHARKS!!!

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Do you actually root for the Sharks? Just wondering cause you always post insightful stuff like this, but I've never seen you post anything like "yay! Sharks score!" Or "Go Sharks!" Or anything like that, but you always post here and your name is SJEasy, so you actually have emotional attachment to the sharks? JW.
I root for the Sharks, but I am a hockey fan first. I like to see good hockey first. I am probably more critical of the Sharks because I don't like my rooting favorite to make poor decisions.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I would like to see Pavs on line 3 tmrw as well. A lot of you have made very interesting, logical, understandable posts. But to put it simply from my point of view the last two games for sure, Logan's line has been pretty ****** outside of his one chance late in the shift in game 6 and the 2 semi breaks from Patty. Pavs did not help them, nor himself, nor the team by playing next to them, and all that did was weaken our 3rd and 4th lines significantly. Based on his lack of production on line 2, what have we got to lose by putting him on line 3? I like Wingels' game this whole series. He's due. Put him with Logan and Patty and let him throw his weight around a bit to create space. GO SHARKS!!!

I agree with Wingels. He is do and he adds a bit more speed to that line. I have visions of Couture finding him on the quick stretch pass.

For me... assuming a juggle

TJ - Thornton - Burns
Pav - Gomez - Sheppard
Burish - Desi - Kearns

I also hope TM isnt afraid to go to the bender if the boys aren't looking good. Don't have to stay with mix but see if you can manufacture something.

I also think there is a wild card based on Braun's health. If he can play but is more than just nicked you have to dress Demers and as much as I gate to mess with the 4th line you sit Kearns. If it plays out this way TM is going to go down to 3 lines early.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
I agree with Wingels. He is do and he adds a bit more speed to that line. I have visions of Couture finding him on the quick stretch pass.

TJ - Thornton - Burns
Pav - Gomez - Sheppard
Burish - Desi - Kearns

I also hope TM isnt afraid to go to the bender if the boys aren't looking good. Don't have to stay with mix but see if you can manufacture something.

I also think there is a wild card based on Braun's health. If he can play but is more than just nicked you have to dress Demers and as much as I gate to mess with the 4th line you sit Kearns. If it plays out this way TM is going to go down to 3 lines early.

Completely agree here. Wingels up to the 2nd; Pav's down to the 3rd; and Demers back as the 7th D/4th line. Plus, Demers would be a welcome addition to the 2nd PP unit alongside Burns.

NWShark*

The point isn't to play even with them. The point is to win a game on the road where LA will more or less dictate matchups. My solution is to take Pavelski off of a line where he isn't contributing anything and move him to a spot where he is more comfortable that could use his abilities on both sides of the puck.

Again, if Pavelski was doing anything that resembled contributing to Marleau and Couture there, I could see your point but he isn't doing anything there and could be better utilized in the center spot on the team's weakest line.

I agree but I'm wondering if the thinking is to have pavs on that line to hopefully take advantage of the turnovers forced by Couture and Patty? It's basically a line with 3 of the most dangerous shooters on the team...

NWShark*

TJ - Thornton - Burns
Pav - Gomez - Sheppard
Burish - Desi - Kearns

These would be my lines too. Hopefully the 3rd line isn't too slow because the Kings 3rd line is fast. Maybe that's why they're keeping Wingels on the 3rd? I think I would even be fine with Desi on the 3rd over Shep just to make sure that line isn't too slow. This depends on how much the run 4 lines instead of 3.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I think they juggled the lines at the end of game 5 but I don't know if that was just to get something going or if they finally figured that they need to strengthen the bottom 6 on the road. They overloaded the top 6 again in game 6 but T-Mac can soften the matchups for bottom 6 at home so it doesn't necessarily mean he will go with the exact same lines for a road game knowing he can't control matchups. I think he will start with the exact same lineup(his MO) but he might switch it up if it looks like it's going the way of game 5.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

TJ - Thornton - Burns
Pav - Gomez - Sheppard
Burish - Desi - Kearns

Pavs-Gomez-Sheppard won't work offensively. Gomez is a guy who carries the line. Not so good on the cycle. He needs a sniper who is near his level of speed. Pavs is a sniper, but too slow. Sheppard is too slow and not a sniper. I don't think the overall of the line is sufficient defensively to match LA. Desi doesn't help either because he is likely the worst sniper on the Sharks although he is nearer Gomez' speed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pavs-Gomez-Sheppard won't work offensively. Gomez is a guy who carries the line. Not so good on the cycle. He needs a sniper who is near his level of speed. Pavs is a sniper, but too slow. Sheppard is too slow and not a sniper. I don't think the overall of the line is sufficient defensively to match LA. Desi doesn't help either because he is likely the worst sniper on the Sharks although he is nearer Gomez' speed.

This was why I was advocating Gomez with Marleau and Couture but it's a question of whether Marleau and Couture are good enough defensively against top competition to make up for Gomez's lack of defensive ability. If only Pepper was competent defensively, it would've made it easy. lol

NWShark*

Roll with:

Desi-JT-Burns
patty-juicy-gomez
TJ-Pavs-Wingles
kearns-shepp- burish

Desi has played w/ JT in the past

Gomez GETS the puck to patty/juicy

Pavs line has more merit now

4th line solid

Desi with JT and Burns...? Seriously?:shakehead:help:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
its interesting...with matchups we can win at home without a third scoring line.

the fourth line we saw at home, will not perform that way in LA. sutter will be getting any chance he can take to find a mismatch. gomez as 4c would help mitigate a lot of that. but who knows what tmac will do.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Apparently he's going with the same lines as last game. This is bad. If the Richards and/or Carter line gets on the ice against the 3rd or 4th were doomed.

Do we know what LA is rolling? I'm guessing they are hellbent on exploiting the mismatches as this seems like an easy way to win.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Apparently he's going with the same lines as last game.
Good.

Reward the boys who got it done. Just study Game 5 tape for last line change adjustments and decisions ont he ice to be tweaked.

Both teams are icing the same line-up. Everyone os dailed in and ready to play!

One game, winner take all.

Will Torres be playing on the weekend? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad