Line Combos: Lines for 2016/2017 season

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hayes is making 2.3m. He'll be on the team and playing. No reason to put Heinen in there yet unless he has a monster camp.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As of now

Vatrano Krejci Pastrnak
Marchand Bergeron ?
Beleksky Spooner ?
Heinen Czarnik Acciari

? ?
Chara Seidenberg
Miller C. Miller
Mcquaid

Rask
Subban

4th line would get killed, need to have at least one experienced body on it IMO

I`m horrific at this stuff as far as guessing who might be where.

Still going out on a limb and say Senyshyn gets a bit of an extra long look. Not saying he`ll make it, but wouldn`t be shocked if he impresses enough to get that 9-10 game look prior to the B`s having to make a decision

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Vatrano-Krejci-Pastrnak
Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly
Vesey-Spooner-Hayes
Kelly-Acciari-Ferraro
Griffith-Rinaldo

Chara-K. Miller
Krug-McQuaid
Liles- Seidenberg
C. Miller

Rask-Subban

That's my best guess at how this offseason will play out. Praying we get Vesey but even then :shakehead

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Still going out on a limb and say Senyshyn gets a bit of an extra long look. Not saying he`ll make it, but wouldn`t be shocked if he impresses enough to get that 9-10 game look prior to the B`s having to make a decision

why does this always matter for the Bruins but not for other teams?

look at pretty much all the teams in the league and you wouldn't recognize half the players on the team. Because these teams are in touch with "today". They give proper chances for young players to make mistakes/gain experience then excel

Bruins on the other hand will raise the stick when a young player tries to jump it. Team has to move fwd . Rebuild or not, the way things have been going the past 2 season (favoring mediocre vets) has to stop

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
why does this always matter for the Bruins but not for other teams?

look at pretty much all the teams in the league and you wouldn't recognize half the players on the team. Because these teams are in touch with "today". They give proper chances for young players to make mistakes/gain experience then excel

Bruins on the other hand will raise the stick when a young player tries to jump it. Team has to move fwd . Rebuild or not, the way things have been going the past 2 season (favoring mediocre vets) has to stop

I must have missed when the 4th line ended as Vatrano-Acciari-Ferraro-Connolly. Look at all those vets

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Expectations

Without any drastic moves, here's what I think Sweeney and management are aiming for:

Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen/Senyshyn/Stempniak
Vesey - Krejci - Pastrnak
Beleskey - Czarnik - Iginla
Vatrano - Kelly - Acciari

Chara - X
Krug - K. Miller
X - McQuaid

Forwards
Marchand - Bergeron - Heinen/Senyshyn/Stempniak: I think Heinen and Senyshyn will be giving a shot to make the team. If they aren't ready, I think they will sign Stempniak to a 1-year deal to act as stop gap for Heinen and Senyshyn.

Vesey - Krejci - Pastrnak: Pretty self-explanatory. Bruins are after Vesey and if they don't get him, Beleskey and Vatrano move up in the lineup.

Beleskey - Czarnik - Iginla: Spooner will be the Bruins main trade chip this offseason if Sweeney and co. expect the top 6 to look like it does above. I added Iginla here because the Bruins will be looking to add size at RW. I believe Colorado wanted to trade Iginla during the season, but Iginla refused to do so. Because players with NMCs will need to be protected in the expansion draft even if they are UFAs when the season is over, it looks even more likely that Colorado will want to trade Iginla since they would have to protect him. They may be willing to trade Iginla for Seidenberg who they could use on defense and expose him in the draft which will free them an extra spot to protect a player. I figure the Bruins will need to add a young player like Morrow, Griffith, or Connolly to get it done, but I would do it since it frees us an extra year of Seidenberg's contract.

Vatrano - Kelly - Acciari: As stated before, Vatrano moves up if Vesey isn't signed. If that happens, I expect someone like Blidh to slot there. The reason Kelly is on this line is because we all know Claude has an unhealthy addiction to handedness as it pertains to our defensive pairs, but he certainly would not want to go into next season with 4 RH centerman. Yeah, I know, Claude being Claude.

Defense
Chara - X: Nothing new here. We've been speculating for a while which defenseman the Bruins should target. I frankly don't know, but I assume Spooner, Colin Miller, our 2016 1st, SJ 2016 1st, and the prospects I mentioned above that aren't traded will be used to obtain X.

Krug - K. Miller: I'm not enthusiastic about this pairing at all come next season, but I feel they believe this could be a solid 2nd pairing. Only time will tell I suppose.

X - McQuaid: X can be Liles, O'Gara, or Grzelcyk. I think the Bruins ultimately re-sign Liles because of Krug's injury and absence in the 1st month of next season due to his surgery. That leaves O'Gara and Grzelyck to compete for that 3rd-pairing job. If either O'Gara or Grzelyck impress, Liles will most likely be the #7D once Krug comes back. I also think Carlo has the chance to make the roster out of camp, but they shouldn't rush him. If he shows signs that he's ready mid-season in Providence, he'll definitely get a look because McQuaid will be injured. But I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Carlo takes McQuaid's job next season, and hopefully Kevan Miller's in the near future.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015

Still going out on a limb and say Senyshyn gets a bit of an extra long look. Not saying he`ll make it, but wouldnt be shocked if he impresses enough to get that 9-10 game look prior to the B`s having to make a decision
Ferraro-Accari-Connolly/Hayes was used quite a bit last year as the fourth line and did a fairly good job. Czarnik is reportedly a good 3 zone guy who could replace Ferraro's role.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Why would Iginla come back to Boston
He may not want to, but I don't think there will be much interest given his cap hit. If that trade is a no go, I should have added the other 2 scenarios in which the Bruins can trade Seidenberg I included in the Bruins Offseason Free Agency/Targets ‎- IV thread. I think if the Iginla trade does not go down, the two teams that may take on Seidenberg for a similar trade is Toronto for Michalek and Buffalo for Gionta. Both teams can use defense and add young players to their roster.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Marchy-Bergy-Griffith
Vesey-DK-Pasta
Belesky-Czarnik-Vatrano
Hayes-Accari-Connolly/Ferraro

33-Brodin
47-Carlo
Yandle/C.miller-Kmiller

Spooner traded with picks and prospects for d. Carlo,Cmiller compete/ grab spots. Heinen tales a while to get used to the AHL but tears it up and earns a callup on bergys wing.
Hayes is traded at the deadline for picks to a contender Ferlin/Ferraro/Griff/Heinen fill the spots.

McQ and Seids are traded, retain on seids and McQ would thrive in dallas or somewhere begging for big stay at home depth d.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
If we lose Spooner and gain Iginla there won't be enough ways to express my disappointment.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Significant changes are needed.

MARCHAND-BERGERON-PASTRNAK
BELESKEY-COYLE-ERIKSSON (5 X 6)
VESEY (EL)-PETAN-CONNOLLY (1 X 1.5)
MARTIN (3 X 2)-KELLY (3 X 2)-VATRANO/RANDELL

CHARA-DUMBA (3 X 5)
YANDLE-(5 X 6)-TROUBA (3 X 5)
MORROW-K. MILLER
C. MILLER

DUBNYK
SUBBAN

KREJCI, MCQUAID, RASK and HAYES for COYLE, DUMBA, DUBNYK and Minny's 1st.

KRUG, SPOONER and San Jose's 1st for TROUBA and Nic PETAN,

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if we are trying for playoffs instead of rebuild...

keep marchand with bergeron and let newly signed vesey play here

make pastrnak krejcis goto sniper and give connolly a sink or swim audition here

let belesky protect spooner with some vet presence and give vatrano a chance to score some goals here

everyone else battles for 4th line icetime... i dont bring back chris kelly or loui eriksson

if i trade either connolly or hayes than i might try to sign an ufa winger

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
MARCHAND-BERGERON-PASTRNAK
BELESKEY-COYLE-ERIKSSON (5 X 6)
VESEY (EL)-PETAN-CONNOLLY (1 X 1.5)
MARTIN (3 X 2)-KELLY (3 X 2)-VATRANO/RANDELL

CHARA-DUMBA (3 X 5)
YANDLE-(5 X 6)-TROUBA (3 X 5)
MORROW-K. MILLER
C. MILLER

DUBNYK
SUBBAN

KREJCI, MCQUAID, RASK and HAYES for COYLE, DUMBA, DUBNYK and Minny's 1st.

KRUG, SPOONER and San Jose's 1st for TROUBA and Nic PETAN,

how will you convince minny to take on 10 mill caphit? no doubt its a great deal for us but i dont even think its mathamatically possible for them

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The thread title asks for line combos for 2016-2017, yet has lots of question marks in setting out the roster. Although it's fun, isn't it a little premature to posit line combos when we don't yet know the makeup of the roster?

Good subject for discussion a month later after draft transactions and free agency.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I have no idea how Iginla has looked since leaving the Bruins but I thought the Lucic - Krejci - Iginla line was a very good one despite not having a good series against Montreal in 2014 . I know I wanted him back the following year but perhaps that ship has sailed.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Said it in another thread, 0% chance Subban is back up this season. It will be a 'name' player behind Rask even if its gonna take a bit of cap to do it, no way they enter the season without a proven back up. Im looking at you Hutton/Enroth/Raanta/even Darling is Chicago is letting contracts go etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad