Line Combos: Lines 2-4 (To start training camp/pre-season)

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Dude, I've been on the internet since the internet was a thing. I know what I'm doing. I know the full range of what people are capable of online. But I also know that it's possible, especially on forums, to treat people with respect because a forum is usually a place where everyone posting has shared interests. Maybe, by criticizing people who don't show respect, I can help make this place better. Maybe not, but it's worked in other places.

But anyway, I think we've derailed the thread enough...

You could learn presentation. How you present your argument is as if not far more important than the substance of your argument.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You could learn presentation. How you present your argument is as if not far more important than the substance of your argument.

Honestly the responses I get to my presentation that I most dislike are people telling me common sense things like this thinking they're giving me advice. I appreciate that you're trying to help, but you come off to me as incredibly condescending.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Guys it is finally Colorado Avalanche game night and I mean an actual game that counts and everything. As Rodney King said "can't we all just get along"?

I'm happy to declare a game-day truce on all disagreements and a desire to move to conversation away from me.

Who else is excited for Kerfoot to score a hat trick and make all the arguments about him being a AHLer/Parenteau 2.0 completely moot?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Saying 'as long as he puts up points he's an NHLer' is kind of a no duh statement, that can be applied to literally every player in the league unless you're so elite defensively that it's okay that you bring nothing offensively.

Reactions: Pure and McMetal

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Saying 'as long as he puts up points he's an NHLer' is kind of a no duh statement, that can be applied to literally every player in the league unless you're so elite defensively that it's okay that you bring nothing offensively.

I assumed by "put up points" we all meant "at a top 6 level". If he's scoring like a 4th liner do you really think he'll stay in the NHL given his size and defensive shortcomings?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I assumed by "put up points" we all meant "at a top 6 level". If he's scoring like a 4th liner do you really think he'll stay in the NHL given his size and defensive shortcomings?
Obviously not. But saying a player will be a top 6 player as long as he puts up top 6 level points... yeah, that can be applied to 95% of players in the league.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Obviously not. But saying a player will be a top 6 player as long as he puts up top 6 level points... yeah, that can be applied to 95% of players in the league.

Yes, but many players would just shift down the lineup to the 3rd or 4th line as their points production goes down. In this case, if he drops below top 6 production, he may drop out of the league entirely. So it seems like you agree with my premise of top 6 or AHL as the options.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yes, but many players would just shift down the lineup to the 3rd or 4th line as their points production goes down. In this case, if he drops below top 6 production, he may drop out of the league entirely.
Some yes. But you could say the exact say thing for guys like Patrick Kane, Gaudreau, Skinner, Dadonov, Drouin, etc. Taking away a players biggest strength/speciality and more likely than not they'll no longer be an NHLer, yes.

Reactions: McMetal

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Some yes. But you could say the exact say thing for guys like Patrick Kane, Gaudreau, Skinner, Dadonov, Drouin, etc. Taking away a players biggest strength/speciality and more likely than not they'll no longer be an NHLer, yes.

Yeah I would have said the same thing about some of those guys (except there's some obvious differences in skill level and pedigree there), especially if in their first season a big part of their offensive production was due to an insanely high shooting percentage. My whole reason for worry is that Kerfoot being a point producer is not a guarantee and isn't based on a solid track record. That's why I was so excited by his play in the preseason and am really hoping he manages to produce this year with a more sustainable shooting percentage. I don't want him to be an AHL player. Ever.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Honestly the responses I get to my presentation that I most dislike are people telling me common sense things like this thinking they're giving me advice. I appreciate that you're trying to help, but you come off to me as incredibly condescending.

No problem. I'd likely view it the same way but I'm very blunt. However, now you understand how some people view your posts. And I think you turn off people from the points that you're trying to make. As an attorney for over 28 years and someone that conducts investigations by interviewing people as well as mediations, I think it's unfortunate when someone doesn't recognize they're implicitly subverting the message they're trying to convey by alienating the audience off the bat with their tone. Everyone does it at times. But it comes down to this. How effective are you with your communications?

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Sorry to have offended you and MarkT.
Don’t worry...none of what you said was offensive or condescending. I thought that you were providing your input in a respectful manner and you brought up your qualifications and experience to explain what led you towards your opinion. People can take whatever they want from that. At least I respect you for not whining and moaning like a little bitch when somebody is critical of you without writing a short essay to explain why they are critical of you.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Anyways....

Kerfoot-Jost-Wilson
- Was pretty good, Jost looks a lot stronger and faster, expecting him to have a better season for sure. All three of them looked solid honestly. There was a lack of finish on the line, but I'm willing to wait and see how Jost progresses this season. But not getting a top-6 guy to play on their line is already an evident hole. I know the Soda line has been the go-to shutdown line, but I really wonder what a Kerfoot-Soda-Jost line would look. I think that would be quite a step-up as clearly he has the talent to put up points but has been in a shutdown role for awhile now. Bit of a waste of his talent.

Dries-Compher-Calvert
- Really liked them together. Multiple times they hemmed the Suter pairing in their own zone and kept it down low. Especially the latter, he's going to be a fan favourite.

Nieto-Soderberg-Bourque
- Like most of the team I thought they played very well, especially Soda. Didn't really miss Comeau, or even think of him. Nieto looks a bit stronger on his skates too. Whenever Kamenev gets healthy I would like to mix things up a bit to add in some more skill to the bottom 6, it's pretty 'quick grinder' heavy right now. Which is a big part of Bednars system, however I think the more skill the better. I wouldn't want to separate JTC/Calvert just yet, maybe put Kamenev on their wing, or with Soda/Nieto.

All in all, unless we trade for a legit top-6 forward I think outside of the top line it'll be a bit of 'the land of misfit toys'.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Anyways....

Kerfoot-Jost-Wilson
- Was pretty good, Jost looks a lot stronger and faster, expecting him to have a better season for sure. All three of them looked solid honestly. There was a lack of finish on the line, but I'm willing to wait and see how Jost progresses this season. But not getting a top-6 guy to play on their line is already an evident hole. I know the Soda line has been the go-to shutdown line, but I really wonder what a Kerfoot-Soda-Jost line would look. I think that would be quite a step-up as clearly he has the talent to put up points but has been in a shutdown role for awhile now. Bit of a waste of his talent.

Dries-Compher-Calvert
- Really liked them together. Multiple times they hemmed the Suter pairing in their own zone and kept it down low. Especially the latter, he's going to be a fan favourite.

Nieto-Soderberg-Bourque
- Like most of the team I thought they played very well, especially Soda. Didn't really miss Comeau, or even think of him. Nieto looks a bit stronger on his skates too. Whenever Kamenev gets healthy I would like to mix things up a bit to add in some more skill to the bottom 6, it's pretty 'quick grinder' heavy right now. Which is a big part of Bednars system, however I think the more skill the better. I wouldn't want to separate JTC/Calvert just yet, maybe put Kamenev on their wing, or with Soda/Nieto.

All in all, unless we trade for a legit top-6 forward I think outside of the top line it'll be a bit of 'the land of misfit toys'.

Well theres some misfit toys like wilson, but ya once we get a legit top six guy. It’ll be an improvement felt throughout the line up

Reactions: returnofthemack29

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Anyways....

Kerfoot-Jost-Wilson

Dries-Compher-Calvert

Nieto-Soderberg-Bourque

Totally agree on Soda, but for one thought Wilson looked great on that Jost line. I want to see if they can develop a bit more finish, but Wilson really impressed me.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Totally agree on Soda, but for one thought Wilson looked great on that Jost line. I want to see if they can develop a bit more finish, but Wilson really impressed me.
Yeah I've liked Wilson a lot more so far, but even as good as he looked the like lacked finish. Maybe when Sven or Kam get healthy we can try them there.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Yeah I've liked Wilson a lot more so far, but even as good as he looked the like lacked finished. Maybe when Sven or Kam get healthy we can try them there.

From the first period I see of the ahl gamw, Kam is good enough to play wilson’s role.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
From the first period I see of the ahl gamw, Kam is good enough to play wilson’s role.
I would like that a lot because I think Kamenev would give Jost more freedom to play a bit more like a center/wing hybrid and use his speed more often. Wilson played really well but he's simply not a scorer imo.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
All this talk about Wilson not being a finisher, but just look at the game - he had plenty of chances and showed great hand eye coordination in the goal that was called off (personally I still think it went off the stick between his thumb and fingers, but whatever). I think if he keeps playing like this, the goals will start coming and all talk of him not being a finisher will disappear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad