"Linear" backwards crossovers (e.g. for wingers on breakouts?)

SemperSens

May 24, 2018
Trying to see if there is such a thing as a "linear" backwards crossover? I have only ever learned them in circles but I know at higher levels people use them to start going backwards quickly. Mainly though I have been noticing that wingers sometimes use what look to me like backwards crossovers to open themselves up for a pass from their dman on a breakout, while building speed to leave the zone. But they aren't turning aggressively, more just going in an almost straight line away from the defenseman. I have been trying to find clips but it seems quite common:

Many times throughout vid, including at 0:45 and 2:06

Here at 0:24

This kid is moving laterally a bit more I think:

Is there anything to this, just not being on your outside edge on your inside foot to keep you from turning? Any tutorial videos? I have tried this in free skates but I cannot do three or four backwards crossover without turning into the middle of the ice.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
When I do this the trick is to turn it into a feeling almost like you’re walking the line, I’d practice doing crossovers straight along the blue line and that’s the feeling it almost turns in to, then it’s quite easy to flip to skating forwards at speed

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Is there anything to this, just not being on your outside edge on your inside foot to keep you from turning? Any tutorial videos? I have tried this in free skates but I cannot do three or four backwards crossover without turning into the middle of the ice.

You can control how much you turn with your upper body. It's a lot like forwards crossovers. If you turn your shoulders into the turn, you can turn more, but if you keep your shoulders facing the direction you're coming from, you'll turn less. Also how much you turn is affected by how big a crossover step you take and how much speed you have.

Regardless, there will be a time where you start curving into a circle, but you can adjust by crossing over in the opposite direction to keep yourself in line.

SemperSens

May 24, 2018
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely try just stepping very slowly through them, sounds like there is not much too it but I'll see how it feels on the ice. I found a couple more videos FWIW:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
To me, the skating you are talking about is really more of a pivot + 'lateral' crossover steps for acceleration purposes.

Because you obviously eventually want to explode forward without having to re-pivot.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
This is a great subject and there is not a great deal of up to date video on how the best nhl (or up and coming nhl'ers) players skate backwards. Most of the instruction online for backwards skating is still based on classic power skating techniques.

I found a short article on a site which might be promising (second link). Not sure if it's a pay site? They seem to be promoting a "cross-under" of the inside foot for the backwards crossover (emphasizing shoulder position as people have mentioned), just like how the most elite skaters are executing much more of a cross-under for the forward linear "crossover". Almost all of the propulsive force comes from the inside foot crossing under, using forward shin angle and heel pressure as you carve into your edge/Y-angle. I am going to test this out tomorrow for the backwards crossover. I know how effective it is for the forward crossover, especially if you experiment with forward shin angle and heel pressure. It's a game changer! Not sure how this will translate to backwards skating where the pressure is towards the toe. I guess I will find out tomorrow. lol...

Reactions: LarryO

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
One of the first things, I learned playing Rep hockey about 50 years ago as a pee wee.
Reminds me of my old skating coach.... Scary Sherry we called her

She'd have us skating the circles in figure 8's, forwards n backwards. Practicing proper cross overs and stick movements. No pucks, just skating. The stick movements, I describe as how a tiger uses his tail for balance while running.

I can't say I enjoyed any of this lady, but she left lasting effects. It became second nature to just glide around the ice in any fashion I wanted. And 30 years later I still don't forget...like riding a bike

Point is...put in the work, and you will be rewarded

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Reminds me of my old skating coach.... Scary Sherry we called her

She'd have us skating the circles in figure 8's, forwards n backwards. Practicing proper cross overs and stick movements. No pucks, just skating. The stick movements, I describe as how a tiger uses his tail for balance while running.

I can't say I enjoyed any of this lady, but she left lasting effects. It became second nature to just glide around the ice in any fashion I wanted. And 30 years later I still don't forget...like riding a bike

Point is...put in the work, and you will be rewarded
Laura Stamm taught me to skate. She's incredible.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Laura Stamm taught me to skate. She's incredible.
I had to look her up, but impressive resume.

It's amazing what a skating coach can do. There's no immediate satisfying results like cutting the lawn. It's all about the lasting effects and I'm fortunate enough to have been able to participate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad