Line Combos: Line projections

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Penciling in Chytil as 2nd line center is a very good way to assure a bottom five finish. Andersson, IMO, is more prepared to play center at the NHL level, and I wouldn’t have him slotted higher than 3C.

As for the D, Skjei and ADA looked very comfortable as a pairing, and Staal looked his best next to Shattenkirk. Pionk is probably better served then playing next to Smith if he makes the team, or Claesson.

I wouldn't get caught up in the line labels...a line centered by chytil would be #3 behind zibanejad and hayes in terms of match ups. the important thing is who his linemates are if he is in NY. and I'm not sure why zuke is still on the team if its not to stick him next to chytil as a veteran winger to help him along

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I wouldn't get caught up in the line labels...a line centered by chytil would be #3 behind zibanejad and hayes in terms of match ups. the important thing is who his linemates are if he is in NY. and I'm not sure why zuke is still on the team if its not to stick him next to chytil as a veteran winger to help him along

I remain unconvinced Chytil is a center going forward. I’m also not sure he’ll be on the big squad to start this season.

My concerns going forward remain that the Rangers still don’t have either a legitimate 1C or a 1D in the organization at this current time. If they are as bad as I expect this season, one of those positions can potentially be filled. But, ideally, for this rebuild project to work, either both spots get filled in the next draft, or one more year of a top 5 finish is going to be needed to complete the process.

I’m not sure a lot of this board or fanbase in general are going to be prepared for that.

Reactions: Cag29

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I remain unconvinced Chytil is a center going forward. I’m also not sure he’ll be on the big squad to start this season.

My concerns going forward remain that the Rangers still don’t have either a legitimate 1C or a 1D in the organization at this current time. If they are as bad as I expect this season, one of those positions can potentially be filled. But, ideally, for this rebuild project to work, either both spots get filled in the next draft, or one more year of a top 5 finish is going to be needed to complete the process.

I’m not sure a lot of this board or fanbase in general are going to be prepared for that.

do you think chytil isn't a center? or are you banking on the hope that we'll get a better center in next draft forcing him to move to wing? lol

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
do you think chytil isn't a center? or are you banking on the hope that we'll get a better center in next draft forcing him to move to wing? lol

A bit of both...I think Chytil will be more successful on the wing at the NHL. I also think the Rangers are better served with a #1 center that is a higher end talent, which what I see with potential options such as Newhook or Turcotte.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't DeAngelo lead the defenseman in just about every relative advanced metric?

I absolutely do not see what others see in regards to his own zone play. Relative to his teammates not named mcdonagh I felt like he was actually one of the BEST players in his own zone with regards to THIS SYSTEM. I can't stress enough that a lot of his perceived mistakes were either 100% the result of him trying to bail out his d partner who effed up and he's left as the last man standing trying to defend and odd man rush. OR he's left in no man's land as a direct result of a man overload that frequently requires defenseman to guard 2 or 3 guys when we fail to achieve a turnover as a result of the overload.

Believe me when I saily tda is a guy I don't want to like...politically and ethinically I find him...less than appealing. But I focused in on him almost exclusively and after his recall I think he was our best rhd and it really wasn't all that close. Pionk got a lot of fanfare because pucks went in when he was on the ice but it sure felt like Ada generated a lot more and got zero puck luck.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't DeAngelo lead the defenseman in just about every relative advanced metric?

I absolutely do not see what others see in regards to his own zone play. Relative to his teammates not named mcdonagh I felt like he was actually one of the BEST players in his own zone with regards to THIS SYSTEM. I can't stress enough that a lot of his perceived mistakes were either 100% the result of him trying to bail out his d partner who effed up and he's left as the last man standing trying to defend and odd man rush. OR he's left in no man's land as a direct result of a man overload that frequently requires defenseman to guard 2 or 3 guys when we fail to achieve a turnover as a result of the overload.

Believe me when I saily tda is a guy I don't want to like...politically and ethinically I find him...less than appealing. But I focused in on him almost exclusively and after his recall I think he was our best rhd and it really wasn't all that close. Pionk got a lot of fanfare because pucks went in when he was on the ice but it sure felt like Ada generated a lot more and got zero puck luck.

I agree, ADA to me, was on par with Pionk. The difference was ADA got injured in a fluke accident. I think heand Pionk are a very nice #2,3 RD grouping

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Let me put it this way; I'm more excited about DeAngelo than I was about Strålman in the 2013 offseason.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Every year the team uses waivers as a reason to keep certain players up, even if it's very unlikely they would get plucked off waivers.

I don't think the Rangers are married to the idea that Beleskey, Holland, Claesson, Kampfer, will make the team for that reason, but if there is any doubt that the prospects are not quite ready, or they feel as if the coaching staff has enough on it's plate without developing the youngest right off the bat, or if they do not want to carry one or another due to them being the extra it would not really surprise me to see them send down most of the players who do not require waivers to start the year.

I tend to think they will give Smith the start of the season unless he is really bad in camp, and I'd guess they will want McLeod in there too. ADA, if cap friendly is correct would also be waiver eligible and I doubt they want him as their 7th, or will waive him, so I am guessing he has a spot

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Chytil-Hayes-Zuccarello
Namestnikov-Andersson-Spooner
Vesey-Nieves-Fast
McLeod

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo
Claesson

Lundqvist
Georgiev

I see something like that, based on the current roster.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Kreider - Zbad - Fast

Was one of our best lines last year. worked just as well with Fast as it did with Buchnevich, but this line allows our talent to be spread more evenly

Chytil - Hayes - Buchnevich

Would love to see what Chytil and Buch could do together. Hayes in the middle provides some much needed defensive stability.

Spooner - Andersson - Zuccarello

Zucc with Andersson is an interesting combo, and I love the though of Zucc mentoring Lias. Spooner also a good finisher.

a 4th line with some combo of Vesey, Names, Boo, Lettieri, Rookie surprise

Skjei - Shattenkirk
Staal - ADA
Smith - Pionk
Claesson

Hank
Georgiev

if Spooner gets moved. move Namestnikov up the 3rd line.

ADA was excellent before his injury last season. Lets hope he can pick back up where he left off

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018

I agree. But one cup in 77 years is not good enough. I rather sacrifice another season or two to get franchise players like Hughes or Turrcotte etc... I’m tired of watching mediocre hockey. Been watching since 1975 so I know what I’m talking about. I want Hughes in red white and blue!!!!LGR!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As far as DeAngelo last year I was less than impressed. Skill wise he is very talented but his overall play in games--particularly his defensive play wasn't very good. Even the offense--8 assists in 32 games--only 2 of those assists at even strength--left me pretty underwhelmed. His defensive positioning was poor enough that they couldn't use him as a penalty killer--problematical when you have other D who don't kill penalties well either.

Maybe a slightly better player than Ryan Murphy. He's a guy I look to trade. I also value Pionk a lot more than him. Pionk does have some of the same size/strength issues that DeAngelo has but his defensive positioning is much better. His compete in one on one battles is much better. He might not be quite as flashly as DeAngelo offensively but his 1 goal and 14 points in 28 games--9 even strength points is a lot better than DeAngelo's 8 assists in 32 with only 2 even strength points. The Rangers played Pionk in all situations and gave him heavy minutes against top lines going down the final stretch and he responded very well.

Nor do I have Brendan Smith pencilled in either. Yeah--he's got a big contract. He also had a **** season and deserved his demotion to Hartford.

Looking at the Rangers D

These are the 3 absolutes that are going to make the team:

1. Shattenkirk
2. Skjei
3. Staal

These are 2 that are most likely to make the team:

4. Pionk
5. Claesson

After that is the battle for the two remaining spots between:

6. Hajek
7. Lindgren
8. Smith
9. DeAngelo
10. O'Gara
11. Gilmour
12. Kampfer
13. Bigras

Let the best two win but personally I would hope that one of Hajek/Lindgren comes out of training camp with an NHL job.

I'm not sure Claesson has a definite spot. 1 year minimum contract, no extensive record in the league. I think he might make the team, but I don't think its definite.

I don't see the point of not giving Smith a chance to play on the team this year. We have prospects and marginal defensemen after those first 4, and #3 is also a marginal defenseman, as well. Smith has at least shown he's an NHL'er, and we paid a lot of money to him. Is Gilmour going to give us more than Smith? What about Claesson? Probably not, and they aren't paid what Smith is. Maybe Smith actually has a good season. And his good season likely has a higher ceiling than almost all of those players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm not sure Claesson has a definite spot. 1 year minimum contract, no extensive record in the league. I think he might make the team, but I don't think its definite.

I don't see the point of not giving Smith a chance to play on the team this year. We have prospects and marginal defensemen after those first 4, and #3 is also a marginal defenseman, as well. Smith has at least shown he's an NHL'er, and we paid a lot of money to him. Is Gilmour going to give us more than Smith? What about Claesson? Probably not, and they aren't paid what Smith is. Maybe Smith actually has a good season. And his good season likely has a higher ceiling than almost all of those players.

I agree with pretty much all your points. Staal will be on the team though. That's almost guaranteed and IMO he's more dependable at doing what he's supposed to be doing than Brendan Smith. Marc I think at least recognizes that he's not going to make the offensive play to win the game and plays within his limitations, sometimes his play does hurt the eyes though--not being in shape and not playing within his limitations is how Brendan 86'd his season last year. Personally I didn't feel the least bit sorry when he got sent down to Hartford. He earned it. That said--new coach, new system--hefty contract--Smith will have a chance to redeem himself and hopefully he does. Hopefully he takes this season more seriously than last.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Jagr-Messier-Kovalev 1st line. I just woke up from a coma and realized it’s 2018. Are these guys still on the rangers?

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding- but what exactly do you mean by "ethnically less than appealing?"

The rest of your post (including not wanting to like him) I agree with.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding- but what exactly do you mean by "ethnically less than appealing?"

The rest of your post (including not wanting to like him) I agree with.
It was phrased horribly...but I'm a brown person. My mother's side of my family is Muslim. As a person of color, people who hold his beliefs are less than appealing to me. I will leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Matt4776

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Chytil-Hayes-Zuccarello
Namestnikov-Andersson-Spooner
Vesey-Nieves-Fast
McLeod

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo
Claesson

Lundqvist
Georgiev

I see something like that, based on the current roster.

Provided LA and Chytil have good camps I'd say that's accurate.

Would like to see what Beleskey has to offer before waiving him, though.

There's decent balance in the top 3 lines, but no clear top scorers and everyone is playing a pairing above what would be ideal on defense. Beggars cant be choosers when rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->