Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
At NHL.com, Dan Rosen projects the Rangers lineup to start the season as:
  • Mika Zibanejad between Chris Kreider and Pavel Buchnevich
  • Filip Chytil between Vlad Namestnikov and Mats Zuccarello
  • Kevin Hayes between Jimmy Vesey and Jesper Fast
  • Lias Andersson between Ryan Spooner and Michael Lindqvist
He has Brady Skjei paired with Kevin Shattenkirk, Marc Staal with Neal Pionk and Brendan Smith with Fredrick Claesson. (NHL.com)

Rosen has the Rangers goalie duo as Henrik Lundqvist and Alex Georgiev. (NHL.com)

Sean Tierney of Charting Hockey put together a projection that would see the Rangers finish 26th in the NHL, included players like Tony DeAngelo, and Brett Howden and moving around of different players Rosen had projected.

What are all of your line combo predictions/player production?

Reactions: Ori

Deleted member 23124

That's odd -- Looks like both are assuming there will be no deals between now and opening night.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
That's odd -- Looks like both are assuming there will be no deals between now and opening night.

Of course they did. They are projecting lines based on the rosters today. They are trying to make fantasy trade projections

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can't see Deangelo not making the team, and I'd preferably play him with Skjei. Play Shattenkirk with Staal, and play Pionk with Smith/Claesson.

Forward lineup is interesting, and I don't hate that top-9 combo. I just want to make sure Lias and Chytil are put in situations where they'll succeed and be getting the necessary playing minutes. I still think we'll see a trade or a depth signing made before camp starts, unless Gorton wants to just roll forward with what we have and be ready to sell at the next deadline. The market seems to be completely held up at the moment.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Kreider - Zbad - Buch
Names - Hayes - Zucc
Vesey - Spooner - Fast
Belesky - Nieves - Holland
McLeod

If none of the kids are ready and no moves are made.

Krieder - Zbad - Buch
Names - Chytil/Andersson - Zucc
Vesey - Hayes - Fast
Spooner - Nieves - Belesky
McLeod

If one of Chytil/Andersson is ready.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Kreider - Zbad - Buch
Spooner - Hayes/Namestnikov - Zucc
Vesey - Namestnikov/Hayes - Fast
Beleskey - Nieves - Meskanen

McLeod will likely be defending down in AHL. I assume Spooner will be traded to make room for rookies.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
I can't see Deangelo not making the team, and I'd preferably play him with Skjei. Play Shattenkirk with Staal, and play Pionk with Smith/Claesson.

Forward lineup is interesting, and I don't hate that top-9 combo. I just want to make sure Lias and Chytil are put in situations where they'll succeed and be getting the necessary playing minutes. I still think we'll see a trade or a depth signing made before camp starts, unless Gorton wants to just roll forward with what we have and be ready to sell at the next deadline. The market seems to be completely held up at the moment.
How would you feel if Andersson was on the 4th line but got top pk duties and 2nd PP time? I think his ice time would even out.

Reactions: TheTakedown

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pionk IMO has the advantage over ADA. I think it very likely that if the Rangers don't pick up another D that Pionk will be in the top 4. He's just a more rounded player than Tony is. It's like choosing between Brian Rafalski and Ryan Murphy. ADA has a slight advantage over him in the offensive department at best. Pionk has a major advantage over DeAngelo in playing his position. Rosen's d is what I would expect too......and the goaltending as well.

Rosen's lines are okay. I suspect that at least one of Meskanen/Lindqvist is going to make the team. I wouldn't be shocked either if Andersson plays a lot of wing either. Likely that McLeod makes the team---good chance that Nieves makes the team.

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I still think spooner is moved

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Namestnikov Chytil Zucc
Vesey Hayes Fast
Mcleod Nieves Andersson
Holland

Skjei Shattenkirk
Smith DeAngelo
Staal Pionk
Claesson Kampfer

Hank
Georgiev

Reactions: Ori

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

If there are more than three non minor trades between now and opening night in the entire NHL I would be surprised.

I know what you mean and I think we all would be a bit surprised if we make no moves this off season. But there are almost no moves in the entire NHL, takes two to tango...

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Keep the kids in Hartford. Do this right for once.

Tank the season.

At deadline trade Spooner, VZ, Names, Hayes & Zucc for picks&kids.

Explore the market for Staal, Shats, Hank, Smith... if anyone bites trade ASAP.

After deadline call up the kids who are banging on the door.

Profit at draft.

Sign EK & Pans July 1st 2019
Get the Russian kids over.

19’-20’ Season

Go with kids, solid vets (Zibs, CK, Buch, Skjei), elite players & enjoy.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Pionk IMO has the advantage over ADA. I think it very likely that if the Rangers don't pick up another D that Pionk will be in the top 4. He's just a more rounded player than Tony is. It's like choosing between Brian Rafalski and Ryan Murphy. ADA has a slight advantage over him in the offensive department at best. Pionk has a major advantage over DeAngelo in playing his position. Rosen's d is what I would expect too......and the goaltending as well.

Rosen's lines are okay. I suspect that at least one of Meskanen/Lindqvist is going to make the team. I wouldn't be shocked either if Andersson plays a lot of wing either. Likely that McLeod makes the team---good chance that Nieves makes the team.

They really shouldn't be moving any of the kids (Howden/Andersson/Chytil) to the wing this early in their development.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Keep the kids in Hartford. Do this right for once.

Tank the season.

At deadline trade Spooner, VZ, Names, Hayes & Zucc for picks&kids.

Explore the market for Staal, Shats, Hank, Smith... if anyone bites trade ASAP.

After deadline call up the kids who are banging on the door.

Profit at draft.

Sign EK & Pans July 1st 2019
Get the Russian kids over.

19’-20’ Season

Go with kids, solid vets (Zibs, CK, Buch, Skjei), elite players & enjoy.
Karlsson will be 29 and Panarin 28. You think they'd want to sign their last big contract for a team that has been shit for the past couple years and that for a second straight year dumped a bunch of veterans and otherwise useful players? I'm not so sure. I know people want to play in NY, but are those guys gonna sign up to be the guys that hopefully move us from rebuilding to being good to contending? I wouldn't bank on it. I'd think they'd sign somewhere they feel they can win Cups in the first couple years of their deals.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I like Rosen’s lines too. Except for some minor reshuffling moves like Spooner vs Vesey or Lettieri vs Lindqvist it looks reasonable. On D ADA will be in the picture / rotation with Smith, Claesson and Staal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Rosen’s lines too. Except for some minor reshuffling moves like Spooner vs Vesey or Lettieri vs Lindqvist it looks reasonable. On D ADA will be in the picture / rotation with Smith, Claesson and Staal.

You kind of can get away with one of your top 4 not being part of your penalty kill. We have Shattenkirk for that. Two IMO is too many. If both DeAngelo and Shattenkirk are on your right side on any give night that's already making that a sticky situation. You need at least 4 of your D for that and one other able to pitch in. Between Shattenkirk and DeAngelo--I'd opt with Kevin for that--simply because he's better defensively than Tony. At the same time Kevin gets the lion's share of the power play time. That has been his bread and butter for years and you put your best, most productive players in situations where they've succeeded before. As well the new coach Quinn and Shattenkirk already know and like each other. So unless Shatty gets hurt again Tony looks to me like bottom pairing at best.

The thing with Staal, Claesson and Smith (if he has his head screwed on right) is they can all be put in defensive situations with reasonably good expectations.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think there are different scenarios.

Both Lias and Chytil make the team:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Andersson
Chytil-Hayes-Zuccarello
Spooner-Namestnikov-Buchnevich
Vesey-Nieves-Fast

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Staal-Pionk
Smith-DeAngelo
Claesson

Andersson played with Zibanejad in May and there might be enough to build on there. Quinn actually visited them in Denmark during the WC, so who knows.

Chytil playing with Hayes and Zuccarello makes sense since both are very solid defensively, but I feel that line could use a sniper because all 3 are puck-hogs.

Buchnevich in a smaller role with Namestnikov and Spooner could definitely be the right environment he needs to develop further. Like Chytil, he needs linemates that are reliable defensively. Namestnikov is exactly that. Spooner is a bit of a wildcard though.

The 4th line has skill, speed and solid defense.

*I still feel Chytil and Andersson start in Hartford

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad