Line Combos

MJP

Jul 27, 2009
ny
Now I know Capuano is clueless, but how can you be this blind. Breaking up the 2nd line of Bailey Nielsen and Grabner has drastically killed all their values, mostly Grabner and Bailey. It has done nothing to add value to that bum PMB, and I don't understand why you would want to destroy one of the best 2nd lines in the game at the time. Look at the numbers since breaking the line up.

Grabner: 8 points in 8 games +2 on the 2nd line prior to his suspension. After coming back from suspension he was put on the 3rd line and hasn't scored a point yet. 5 games 0 points

Bailey: 7 points in 8 games +4 with 1 PPA. Once the line change happened, Bailey has 1 point in 7 games -5.

Nielsen: 8 points in 8 games +8 with 3 PPP. Frans' value didn't drop much because of the PP time on the first unit, but after the line switch 9 points in 7 games -1 with 3 PPP and 1 SHG

Bouchard: 3 points in 7 games +1, after line switch 3 points in 7 games -3

A blind man can see the problem here. I know its obviously a coaching issue, but what about assistant coaches. What is the actual reason for Grabs being demoted and PMB being promoted. Adds no value anywhere its insane.

And don't get me started on that assclown Clutterbuck. He's trash and should be scratched for Colin Mac, and Brock should be up on the 3rd line. Brock has the size and tenacity of Cal, but 100x more skill. ****ing mind boggling Jack.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
There has to be some method to his madness. Seriously, you don't become a head coach on the NHL level without doing some things right in the past. That having been said, I just don't get it either. The proof is right there in front of him. I don't know why he doesn't see it. Or maybe he does see it, but Wang wants to justify PMB's price tag. If anything, they are making his signing look more and more foolish every game.

Best case scenario, in my oppinion (although unrealistic), would be to bring Strome up to center the third line (Regan is terrible).

TV--JT--KO
Grabs--Neilsen--JB
Nelson--Stome--Clutter
Matin--Zeke--Mc

I know, I know...two rookies on one line, but I still think this combo works better.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Totally agree. And as mentioned in another thread, using Clutterbuck on the PP instead of the PK when the numbers show that Clutter has been an elite PK'er is beyond me. These are two glaring mistakes and should be obvious to anyone.

I was a Cappy supporter going into the season. For whatever reason, the team finished strong last year and it was a long stretch. He had to get credit for that. But he's losing me. Fast.

Snow catches some heat from me as well, signing two forwards when maybe one was needed and then making two bold trades (admit I love one...) both for forwards. Not able to address a weakness in goal (though we have to let it play out, Poulin may save his hide).

All problems above could've been handled better. But these lines/roster moves and poor use of assets are fail fail fail.

Team scored at least 2 goals in each game (maybe we're the last in the league to do this), had 3 players in the top 10 in scoring as of yesterday - and are a .500 team.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
Now I know Capuano is clueless, but how can you be this blind. Breaking up the 2nd line of Bailey Nielsen and Grabner has drastically killed all their values, mostly Grabner and Bailey. It has done nothing to add value to that bum PMB, and I don't understand why you would want to destroy one of the best 2nd lines in the game at the time. Look at the numbers since breaking the line up.

A blind man can see the problem here. I know its obviously a coaching issue, but what about assistant coaches. What is the actual reason for Grabs being demoted and PMB being promoted. Adds no value anywhere its insane.

And don't get me started on that assclown Clutterbuck. He's trash and should be scratched for Colin Mac, and Brock should be up on the 3rd line. Brock has the size and tenacity of Cal, but 100x more skill. ****ing mind boggling Jack.

Based on what staple said they could change the lines tonight and move grabner back to the second line. I Agree that should have stayed the same. Bailey and Pmd have not played well together.

Also, if clutterbuck doesnt play tonight maybe they will move nelson to the 3rd. I dont think the islanders plan on moving clutterbuck to the 4th line where he belongs because of his contract (2.9 per year).

scott99

May 13, 2005

Grabner: 8 points in 8 games +2 on the 2nd line prior to his suspension. After coming back from suspension he was put on the 3rd line and hasn't scored a point yet. 5 games 0 points

Bailey: 7 points in 8 games +4 with 1 PPA. Once the line change happened, Bailey has 1 point in 7 games -5.

Nielsen: 8 points in 8 games +8 with 3 PPP. Frans' value didn't drop much because of the PP time on the first unit, but after the line switch 9 points in 7 games -1 with 3 PPP and 1 SHG

Bouchard: 3 points in 7 games +1, after line switch 3 points in 7 games -3

That move, over any other bonehead move, has been the biggest reason why we are 6-6-3 instead of possibly 10-3-2. Grabner-Nielsen-Bailey were on fire, and finally gave us two offensive lines that were very difficult to stop. Also, why on earth are Regin & Clutterbuck seeing time on the 2nd PP when Bailey and Grabner are 10x better offensively ? Why is Andy Macdonald on the PP (he's horrible). Why not Donovan who is way better offensively ? It's like Cappy is trying to sabotage the team. But it's just his stupidity.

startainfection*

at home/off icing calls in away games

Vanek-Tavares-Stome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Nelson-Regin-Cluterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-Mcdonald

in away games
Vanek-Tavares-Clutterbuck
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Nelson-Regin-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-mcdonald

MJP

Jul 27, 2009
ny
That move, over any other bonehead move, has been the biggest reason why we are 6-6-3 instead of possibly 10-3-2. Grabner-Nielsen-Bailey were on fire, and finally gave us two offensive lines that were very difficult to stop. Also, why on earth are Regin & Clutterbuck seeing time on the 2nd PP when Bailey and Grabner are 10x better offensively ? Why is Andy Macdonald on the PP (he's horrible). Why not Donovan who is way better offensively ? It's like Cappy is trying to sabotage the team. But it's just his stupidity.

agree 100%. Also giving Clutterbuck that money while going to arbitration with MM is a disgusting franchise move. Martin, an obvious fan favorite kinda got a slap in the face on that move. He's an upgrade over Clutterbuck in every aspect, except probably speed. I hate this team so much sometimes

startainfection*

agree 100%. Also giving Clutterbuck that money while going to arbitration with MM is a disgusting franchise move. Martin, an obvious fan favorite kinda got a slap in the face on that move. He's an upgrade over Clutterbuck in every aspect, except probably speed. I hate this team so much sometimes

clutterbuck isn't bing used with the right players, if he was you would see that he is way more skilled then what he has done with the islanders

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
at home/off icing calls in away games

Vanek-Tavares-Stome
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Nelson-Regin-Cluterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-Mcdonald

in away games
Vanek-Tavares-Clutterbuck
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Nelson-Regin-Strome
Martin-Cizikas-mcdonald

You just cut Grabner!

startainfection*

You just cut Grabner!

woah, my bad well either scratch mcdonald, put nelson on the 4th line, grabner on the 3rd or scratch regin, move nelson to center and put grabner on the left wing of that line

MJP

Jul 27, 2009
ny
clutterbuck isn't bing used with the right players, if he was you would see that he is way more skilled then what he has done with the islanders

I lived in MN for 2 years, watched all of his and PMB's games, they're both garbage and I know that for a fact.

startainfection*

I lived in MN for 2 years, watched all of his and PMB's games, they're both garbage and I know that for a fact.

i think clutterbuck would make a better complimentary player than a 3rd or 4th liner, he is a good forechecker, good skater and has a really hard wrist shot, pmb is crap though, i would still love to see what the tavares and vanek would do with clutterbuck forechecking and taking shots that give up rebounds

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We're all talking about goal and defense, but while we're at it where did the secondary scoring go?

Capuano has to shake things up, and the obvious thing is to slide KO down to the 2nd line.

The team has been so inconsistent all year long, if I were coach I'd seriously jumble up lines for a game or two to try to get 4 lines that can be rolled and create offensive pressure (what do they say about the best defense?). I'd think about putting McDonald or Clutterbuck up on RW with JT/TV. Spread around the grit too.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
We're all talking about goal and defense, but while we're at it where did the secondary scoring go?

Capuano has to shake things up, and the obvious thing is to slide KO down to the 2nd line.

The team has been so inconsistent all year long, if I were coach I'd seriously jumble up lines for a game or two to try to get 4 lines that can be rolled and create offensive pressure (what do they say about the best defense?). I'd think about putting McDonald or Clutterbuck up on RW with JT/TV. Spread around the grit too.

Normally, I'd agree.....but the numbers don't lie - Kyle Okposo is a +7 and leads the team with 19 points. I don't think that's the shake-up required. Plus, I simply want Bouchard the hell off of the second line in favor of Grabner to get 40/51/12 reunited. While we're at it, I'd rather see Nelson <=> Regin - Clutterbuck on the 3rd for now, anyway.

What needs to happen is more than a little more of the defensive-minded responsibility being shifted onto the forwards with a degree of success. If they can keep shots and shooters to the outside and (dare I say it...) maybe even trap a little and create turnovers they could seize for scoring chances, the weaker, smaller defense would be less exposed. Hurt and hinder the opponent in open ice more, they get less space in between the face-off dots in their own zone.

MJP

Jul 27, 2009
ny

I guess you didn't read the original post

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I guess you didn't read the original post

Yeah, I did read the original post. I wasn't disagreeing with the big picture point I think you were making - just intended to reinforce it with a different slant. You advocated reuniting Nielsen-Bailey-Grabner. I'd prefer to see KO moved to the 2nd line. I'd also prefer to see the ice time and scoring spread around to all 4 lines a bit better.

I also wanted to make clear that IMO scoring balance is about as big an issue as goaltending and defense. The ultimate big picture, that I think we may agree on, is that even with Vis out and other issues, the biggest problem seems to be the coach's inability to effectively work with the players he does have. But maybe I'm wrong about your opinion on that.

On a side but related note, there's this offensively talented kid down in Bridgeport lurking in the background....

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
There has to be some method to his madness. Seriously, you don't become a head coach on the NHL level without doing some things right in the past. That having been said, I just don't get it either. The proof is right there in front of him. I don't know why he doesn't see it. Or maybe he does see it, but Wang wants to justify PMB's price tag. If anything, they are making his signing look more and more foolish every game.

What has Jack accomplished to be an NHL head coach? From what I can see his sterling credentials seem to be
1. Will work cheap
2. Will not be like Nolan and challenge any decision that management makes
3. Gives BS press conferences, that everything is great, the guys are working hard. He does this so the GM never has to have any comments to the media.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think it is pretty obvious the lines we have aren't working. At this point, I would bring up Strome, waive Regin (not an original thought, I know), and go with:

Vanek-JT-Nelson
Bouchard/Grabner-Strome-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Clutterbuck
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

My reasoning:
Vanek-JT-Nelson: Nelson showed he can go to the net and compliment JT during a two game tryout. I think he can play a similar game to what Okposo has done on that line.

Bouchard/Grabner-Strome-Okposo: I don't want to throw Strome with two struggling players or rookies, so that is why I would move Okposo here. Let Bouchard and Grabner fight it out for the third spot. Gives Strome a bit of skill to work with.

Bailey-Nielsen-Clutterbuck: Bailey and Nielsen are both struggling, but both have shown they can be solid defensive players. I would put them on a third line and tell them that their job is to shut down the opposing team's best line and not to worry about scoring. By focusing on defense, hopefully they can relax in the offensive zone and get their confidence back. Plus, we need a defensive line and this is probably the best we can do. Bailey and Clutterbuck have decent size, so it protects Nielsen.

Martin-Cizikas-McDonald: Hasn't been as good as last year. Make sure they know that their roster spots depend on them hitting everything in sight.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I dont even really care anymore but here's my last thoughts on the subject

vanek-jt-nelson
bailey-neilsen-okposo
grabner-cizikas-clutterbuck
martin-regin-mcdonald

doesnt matter since we'll never win a game with our PK the way it is. to me, having weak, impish D is killing us, and it exposes us on the pk most often.

Last edited:

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
Vankek Tavares Okposo

Bailey Strome Nelson

Grabner Nielsen PMB

Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck

i like how the first line has looked, but if needed swap Nelson and Okposo

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
nooooo.... line combos, injuries, systems, motivation... they mean nothing. the reason that we are losing is because Moulson - Mr. Heart & Soul, was traded!

nothing anyone can do. we are DOOMED! DOOOOOOMED I TELL YOU!!!

:sarcasm:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I dont even really care anymore but here's my last thoughts on the subject

vanek-jk-nelson
bailey-neilsen-okposo
grabner-cizikas-clutterbuck
martin-regin-mcdonald

doesnt matter since we'll never win a game with our PK the way it is. to me, having weak, impish D is killing us, and it exposes us on the pk most often.

agree with this. except, i might be tempted to try Boulton out as a defenceman. just plop him in front of our net, and tell him not to move...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad