Speculation: Line Combinations

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO it's time to bring up both L. Brown & Formenton & tweak the lineup by moving Stutzle around to play with his roommates. They should also have a look at Daccord at some point.

Tkachuk - Norris - Stutzle
Paul - L. Brown - Batherson
Dadonov - White - C. Brown
Formenton - Tierny - Watson

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Zub
Reilly - Gudbranson

Murray - Hogberg/Daccord

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
IMO it's time to bring up both L. Brown & Formenton & tweak the lineup by moving Stutzle around to play with his roommates. They should also have a look at Daccord at some point.

Tkachuk - Norris - Stutzle
Paul - L. Brown - Batherson
Dadonov - White - C. Brown
Formenton - Tierny - Watson

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Zub
Reilly - Gudbranson

Murray - Hogberg/Daccord
I agree, time to take the handcuffs off Stutzle and let him play with some guys that can keep up a little better to his skill level.

I really like your lineup. Placement aside, if Brannstrom came in for Reilly once healthy, that is the exact lineup I would go with.

Reactions: aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
There have only been two line combinations this season that looked consistently dangerous. Those combinations are:
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Paul-White-Dadanov

Looking at those lines they both have the following: 1. A close range shooter/net front presence, 2. a mid range shooter, 3. a long distance shooter/passer.

It seems like when lines work they have a 3 forwards that can take on each of those separate roles. It also seems like when lines struggle it is because one of those roles are missing. The first step would be to classify the forwards currently on the team that are top nine players into those categories.

Close Range Shooters/Net Front Presence
Brady Tkachuk, Colin White

Mid Range Shooters

Josh Norris, Evgeni Dadanov

Long Distance Shooters/Passers

Tim Stützle, Drake Batherson, Alex Galchenyuk, Logan Brown, Nick Paul

Those are the top nine forwards and the top 3 lines should be comprised of them. I think every line needs a minimum of one long distance shooter/passer on it so that is why a line of Tkachuk-Norris-Dadanov hasn't really been effective. The majority of long distance shooters/passers have some versatility as they can usually score at a closer range so there can be two of them on a single line. There could even be three of them on the same line in some cases and that is why Paul-L.Brown-Batherson worked in the AHL. Tkachuk and White need one on their line as it allows them to thrive by going hard to the net. Norris and Dadanov also seem to need them as it allows them the opportunity to find scoring positions and to capitalize on rebounds.

One set of line combinations that could work would be:
Tkachuk-L.Brown-Dadanov
Stützle-Norris-Batherson
Paul-White-Galchenyuk

Tkachuk and Stone work great together so I think the Sens should look to emulate that. Tkachuk should always have one of Stützle, Batherson, L.Brown, Galchenyuk or Paul on his line.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I really really want to see Tkachuk-White-Dadonov. The Paul-White-Dadonov line has been absolutely buzzing the last few games, and I feel like adding Tkachuk to that line would add the finish that we need. Tkachuk feels like a waste with Tierney and Brown.

I'd go with:

Tkachuk-White-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Stutzle-Stepan-Batherson
Galchenyuk-Norris-Watson

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
Paul White Dadonov

That should be our top 2 lines imo. That top line was great for us to start the year and was changed around because no other lines looked very good and of course our team defense sucked. We have not gone back to it but I think we should

L.Brown can center the third line when he comes up, hoping he gels with Stützle

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I really really want to see Tkachuk-White-Dadonov. The Paul-White-Dadonov line has been absolutely buzzing the last few games, and I feel like adding Tkachuk to that line would add the finish that we need. Tkachuk feels like a waste with Tierney and Brown.

I'd go with:

Tkachuk-White-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Stutzle-Stepan-Batherson
Galchenyuk-Norris-Watson
You can’t have Tierney and brown together unless it’s your fifth line.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
You can’t have Tierney and brown together unless it’s your fifth line.

Them both together do make an excellent 3rd line or a shutdown line you can put up against a stacked 1st line, so our top 2 lines get more opportunity to play in the offensive zone.

But I agree, you can't waste a purely offensive guy on their line.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
When everyone is healthy :

Tkachuk - Norris - Dadonov
Stützle - L. Brown - Batherson
Paul - White - Dzingel
C.Brown - Tierney - Watson

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Zub
Wolanin/Reilly - Gudbranson

Murray
Not Hogberg

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
When everyone is healthy :

Tkachuk -Norris -Batherson
Stützle - White - Dadonov
Dzingel - Tierney - C.Brown
Paul - L. Brown - Watson
Stepan

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Zub
Wolanin/Reilly - Gudbranson

Reactions: LeTigre

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tkachuk Tierney Brown - Coache's line .. He feeds these guys minutes .. might as well play them together
Paul White Dadonov - This has been a good line , and they have gelled and are improving as a unit. They work well together
Stutzle Norris Batherson.. Recognizing both Norris and Batherson are having some bumps.. bound to happen .. tough environment.. I would play these guys as a 3rd line and give them all PP1 or PP2 time . I want the speed and the skill levels to shine through and have these guys create offense. Norris has to be a facilitator getting the puck to Stutzle or Batherson to create entries.. Norris has to find soft spots and be the shooter but also has to heavily support on the puck retrievals. Once they start being effective at both ends .. more minutes
Anisimov Stepan Watson -- for now; Dzingel replaces Anisimov and hopefully that's the last we see him... Hoping Logan Brown can replace Stepan ; but Chlapik could as well.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Tkachuk-Norris-Dadanov
Stutzle-White-Batherson
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Peca-Stepan-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Gudbranson

I like this line up but I think Connor Brown is our second best RW. Batherson just hasn't been able to make it happen (yet). Not saying he won't in the future, but right now he is getting shut down. I'd have him on the third or fourth line. I might even play Watson ahead of him. Brown isn't exactly filling the net either but I feel like he gets closer to making things happen than Batherson.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Tkachuk-Norris-Dadanov
Stutzle-White-Batherson
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Peca-Stepan-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Gudbranson

I would definitely like to see those lines, however I would probably switch Tkachuk and Stutzle. He and Batherson play way too similar a game style and I noticed it last night where neither one of them wanted to shoot the puck and both fumbled at times trying to decide who should carry the puck.

Put Tkachuk with White and Batherson, that way they can get a shooter with them, and the Stuzle can work his magic with Norris and Dadonov who both have excellent shots and are more shooters than playmakers.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I like this line up but I think Connor Brown is our second best RW. Batherson just hasn't been able to make it happen (yet). Not saying he won't in the future, but right now he is getting shut down. I'd have him on the third or fourth line. I might even play Watson ahead of him. Brown isn't exactly filling the net either but I feel like he gets closer to making things happen than Batherson.

I can't agree with this.

For all of the reasons you just listed, it only confirms to me that Batherson should not move from the top 9. A team that isn't competing for anything other than experience and pride should be putting the prospects in a position to gain experience in a role they are expected to play in the near future. It may sound like I'm advocating that they are gifted ice time, but I would look at it more as putting these players in a position to play to their strengths. I think he's been okay for the most part this year at 5 on 5 and above average on the PP, but putting him in 4th line role now would be relegated him to an offensive black hole.

Put the young guys in spots where there is consistency and at least a chance at offensive output. I'd rather see Batherson in the AHL than see him on the 4th line, but in my mind he's been just fine.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk - Norris - C. Brown
Stutzle - Paul - Batherson
Formenton - White - Dadonov
Dzingle - Tierny - Watson

Chabot - Zaitsev
Reilly - Zub
Wolanin - Gudbranson

Murray - Hogberg

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Batherson
Dadonov-Paul-Norris
Tierney-White-Brown
Peca-Stepan-Watson

Load up the top 2. Don’t want to hear about how Stutzle can’t handle it. He’s better than everyone else on the team. And he can see it now. He can handle it.

Trade Tierney, put formenton in there. Trade Brown, put Abramov in there. Trade Stepan, put Chlapik in there.
Stop f***ing around.

We have speedy players sitting around, get them in there and push the tempo.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
When Form comes up, do you think Paul moves to centre, with Stepan getting the boot?

Honestly at this point, I only think Formenton gets a chance if Stepan is traded. It seems unlikely that Smith makes Stepan a healthy scratch at this point, but who knows right?

We could also see Stützle get a chance at center by that team (if Formenton impresses enough to get called up later in the season) as promised when he was first drafted as they said he would start on wing and get a chance at centre at some point:

Tkachuk- Stützle - Dadonov
Dzingel- Norris- Batherson
Paul - White - C. Brown
Formenton- Tierney- Watson

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Honestly at this point, I only think Formenton gets a chance if Stepan is traded. It seems unlikely that Smith makes Stepan a healthy scratch at this point, but who knows right?

We could also see Stützle get a chance at center by that team (if Formenton impresses enough to get called up later in the season) as promised when he was first drafted as they said he would start on wing and get a chance at centre at some point:

Tkachuk- Stützle - Dadonov
Dzingel- Norris- Batherson
Paul - White - C. Brown
Formenton- Tierney- Watson

Jimmytimtim might have been moved to and kept on wing because defense isn't his thing I think they should hold off on that number 1 center spot.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Tkachuk-Brown-Dadonov
Stutzle-Norris-Batherson
Paul-White-Brown
Dzingel-Tierney-Watson

Edit : could also switch Tkachuk and Stutzle.

1- Give Logan 2 intense wingers. Tkachuk creates havoc in front of the net to do what he does best : crease scoring chances. He can also retrieve the puck from the corners and make good passes. Dadonov is one of our most skilled forwards but is also quite intense, skilled guys need to play with skill because they like to move the puck with crisp passes to create open space.

2- An ultra skilled kid line, this season is lost and embarassing already, they are a big part of the future, let them have fun and use their skill. Norris is one of our best defensive forwards already, he can flat out skate as Jimmy can too. Batherson wants it but still need to learn to improve his efficiency (go for the simple play more often). They all need to play with skill to express their talent.

3- Best 3rd line we could ice IMO. They'd be excellent defensively and even provide some secondary scoring offense. Paul can take face-offs, they can both play Center to mix things up and confuse the other team a bit. Paul is a lot to handle physically (everyone knows that)

4- That's a pretty good 4th line, allows you to roll 4 lines or give them a bit more TOI than usual when another line struggles.

The real need is at center, not sure how long the situation can drag on with Logan so seriously just put him and them in a situation they can succeed and stop making these counter-productive line combinations.

Formenton, not sure when he'll get his chance. Still young so I guess he can wait lol. Funny because RDS commentators last night were saying (paraphrasing) " he was drafted... BUT it's taking time for him to find a place on a rebuilding team"...

"Outsiders" automatically assume that because a player is not on the Sens, it's because they're not that good or far from ready. Seems like maybe it was not the case with Zub and Brannstrom, at the very least? This is how we do it

When Form comes up, do you think Paul moves to centre, with Stepan getting the boot?

This should have happened a long time ago. Not sure why Paul is not a center yet. He is good on face-offs, he is strong as an ox, he can skate well for his size, he has a good shot, he can make plays and he doesn't sacrifice defense for offense, he's one of our best defensive forwards already. I'd have him at center over Stepan easily and even over Tierney

Yes it's because he plays on a line with White but Colin has struggled on the dot this year so Paul has started to take more faceoffs. The 3 games vs Leafs :

NHL Stats

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->