Line Combos: Line Blender, Pt. Deux (Gm.11-40)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Reshuffling the decks chairs only goes so far, for so long. Now that our D is healthy (DDK expected back Sun vs. DAL), we have a good idea of what our roster will be most of this season.

Reward the few players who have produced, but enable the slumping players to improve their production (after sending a message) e.g., Mantha etc. Mantha deserves to have 3rd line minutes (15), but should play on 2nd line to have any chance to win a game, so "Stack" top 2 lines.

Bert-Larkin-Nyquist
Mantha/Vanek-Nielsen-AA
Vanek-Helm-Ras (kid has to play)
DLR-LGD-Frk

Abby has been useless, time to sit a few games.

Cholo-Green
DDK-Daley
Big E-Jensen
Kronner rotates in

Cholowski, best on team .75 PPG% in 8gp, tied with Frans & AA for 2nd in scoring w/6 pts. (49 pt. pace) Leads TOI 22:11, that's 1:20 more than 2nd in TOI, Jensen.

Nyquist & Larkin tied for lead in pts., 7 each.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mlotek and Flowah

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
When you only have two defenseman who can consistently break out the puck, why have them both on the same line? Puck possession struggled last night when Cholowski and Green were not on the ice. They need to be broken up.

Larkin can drive much more offense when he is paired with Nyquist. Throw Rasmussen in with them.

The new punishment for AA is to put him at center, not benching him. He has elevated his game significantly since the move. Doesn't matter who he plays with, because he does what he wants anyway.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I'm with Mule93 on this one, do we even really have a true first line talent? we have one true 2nd line, 2 3rd lines and a 4th. and as for nhl talent we have a d core made up of mostly 3rd and 4th pair players with a good 2nd pair rookie. But I think the system is not working either, I know you guys think a coaching change won't help but at this point I just don't see him working out here I'm sorry.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm with Mule93 on this one, do we even really have a true first line talent? we have one true 2nd line, 2 3rd lines and a 4th. and as for nhl talent we have a d core made up of mostly 3rd and 4th pair players with a good 2nd pair rookie. But I think the system is not working either, I know you guys think a coaching change won't help but at this point I just don't see him working out here I'm sorry.
I've thought this for a few seasons, but justified our non-performance with a team bereft of top talent, so it's probably some amalgamation of both, just not sure to what degree for either component. Bylsma wouldn't be a bad idea at this point. In Blash's interviews he doesn't sound like he even believes what he is saying.

Reactions: Goalie guy

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Well just read on Facebook Trashcan calling out little Bert and AA for the loss! This turd has to go now like before the weekend is over!!! Lets cal out 2 of the 3 players that are doing anything. The guy has no clue what hes doing none.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
AA had two stupid retaliatory penalties that were totally unnecessary. He had already retaliated in the best way possible...scoring on a power play.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Poor Ras will never score a goal if on a line centered by Helm. The lack of center depth is scary.
It was mediocre before Z left. Now it's awful.

Well just read on Facebook Trashcan calling out little Bert and AA for the loss!
If he was calling out AA for the penalties I'm fine with that. 4 minutes of being shorthanded is a tough f***ing break for a team this bad. And since he's one of the few players who can score, he's also taking himself out of the game. A good player and leader doesn't do that. A child retaliates. It's selfish behavior putting yourself ahead of the team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well just read on Facebook Trashcan calling out little Bert and AA for the loss! This turd has to go now like before the weekend is over!!! Lets cal out 2 of the 3 players that are doing anything. The guy has no clue what hes doing none.

Dumb penalties by those two changed the dynamic of that game. When the shoe fits...

I liked the effort and since that was an issue at times with AA I will take the downfall of him being over engaged in the proceedings last night. But, the penalty after penalty after penalty really eliminated a good flow in the game and both guys need to know we don't have a lot of margin of error.

Also, going to guess here he said a lot of things could be better but we have located the one towards young kids that were being undisciplined during the game, that statement isn't wrong even if you want it to be in my opinion.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

AA put the PKers on ice for nearly 4 uninterrupted minutes, by the time Bert took his stupid penalty, the PKers were looking tired. Giving the best powerplay in the league 6 minutes of PP in the 3rd period definitely lost the game.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Funny the only ones trying again where the ones that took penalty's. The guy is a mess this team has been nothing but a mess under him you guys can keep defending him as long as you want it wont change and neither will the team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
When you only have two defenseman who can consistently break out the puck, why have them both on the same line? Puck possession struggled last night when Cholowski and Green were not on the ice. They need to be broken up.

Larkin can drive much more offense when he is paired with Nyquist. Throw Rasmussen in with them.

The new punishment for AA is to put him at center, not benching him. He has elevated his game significantly since the move. Doesn't matter who he plays with, because he does what he wants anyway.
It does matter. Need someone to feed him for the one timer, he's got a decent slapper as he showed last night. Wish they'd get more use out it.... maybe work on some designed plays. Vanek and Nielsen are supposed to be good passers.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Funny the only ones trying again where the ones that took penalty's. The guy is a mess this team has been nothing but a mess under him you guys can keep defending him as long as you want it wont change and neither will the team.

This. Team. Is. A. Dumpster. Fire.

There's no amount of coaching that takes them out of the bottom 5. There is no amount of coaching that can make a lazy player want to play. There is no amount of coaching that stops Jimmy D and Holland from trying to 'play meaningful games in March'. If you believe this team is better than bottom 5 than you're saying you believe this team is, as constructed, a bubble playoff team. I'd love to see you defend that.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
This. Team. Is. A. Dumpster. Fire.

There's no amount of coaching that takes them out of the bottom 5. There is no amount of coaching that can make a lazy player want to play. There is no amount of coaching that stops Jimmy D and Holland from trying to 'play meaningful games in March'. If you believe this team is better than bottom 5 than you're saying you believe this team is, as constructed, a bubble playoff team. I'd love to see you defend that.
Who said or is asking for the team to be out of the bottom five? You did I did not! I said Trash has to go nothing more nothing less. Matter of fact said it over and over again, it;s not about wins it's about the team. His big ass clam to fame was how good he is with the kids lol yeah so damn good!

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
In reference to turkelton's post, I agree to load up the top line with our most capable guys. Fill in the forwards exactly like depth chart of who's generating... something.

AA- Larkin- Nyquist
Bertuzzi- Nielsen- Helm
Mantha- Glendening- Vanek
Abdelkader- JDLR- Frk/Rasmussen

Helm and Mantha could interchange. After 10 games Vanek isn't playing like a top 6. There's been no notable chemistry with Athanasiou; in fact he's been more of a dead weight holding the 2nd line back than anything else. Can't skate and his passes are stupid. Abdelkader should barely be in the NHL at this point. It's tough for Blashill- how do you hide/bury this many incapable pieces in your group?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Bert-Larkin-Nyquist...Bert over Helm just makes sense

Mantha-Nielsen-AA...51 & 72 starting to show chemistry, they complement each other's games. AA would be F1 (fore-check)

Vanek-Helm-Ras...a properly slotted 3rd line

DLR-LGD-Abby
Frk

Reactions: lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad