Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Hours later this is still blowing my mind. I would have preferred rehiring Tim Murray to bringing Ruff back. Murray would have made more sense. At least you could make the argument that he was inexperienced and has maybe gotten better in in interim. Ruff has spent the interim underachiever and getting fired for the exact same reasons he got fired the first time in Buffalo. Just mind blowing how utterly stupid this is.
82381-aw-hell-no-meme-wonder-woman-zagp.jpeg

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike this hire and the process of this hire.

Lindy not being a good head coach isn't one.

And I'm squarely on the fence on this hire.
That's where I'm at. Fix the roster and any coach will who doesn't look the other way when his staff rapes kids will be adequate.

Reactions: Zman5778

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
For those of you upset by the speedy hire of Ruff-I would think that for a few months there has been evaluations of options -I suspect other real options were not really on the table so need for other performative interviews. Ruff will quickly determine who is a hockey player and who is nice skater who plays some hockey...
Why rush and hire a coach in the off season while 16 teams are still playing and a coach can do absolutely nothing instead of interviewing a few candidates who also meet your criteria for at least a bit of fresh perspective? They could have hired Lindy during the season if they felt he was the guy. They didn’t. They waited . Why the hurry now?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I works still prefer Murray. Drunks can stop drinking. Lindy is never going to be a good enough coach. At this point it's as proven as it can possibly get. He's pushing for all time leader games coached without a cup, and depending on what Florida does he may take the lead with Buffalo. Which I guess would be fitting but I just don't understand why the f*** Buffalo (Pegula) is like this. Just hire competent people. Get competent players. It's not rocket science. Why do they keep doing this shit?
Come on now. Tim Murray hasn’t even worked in the NHL since Buffalo. Lindy has been consistently employed since leaving Buffalo, including being hired by one of the best GM’s in the NHL (Jim Nill).

He has gotten every team he’s coached to the playoffs. He has a 50(+) win season with every team he’s coached, including just last year. He also has the 5th most wins of any head coach in NHL history.

There’s no comparison between him and Murray.

Lindy’s resume was as good as any available veteran coach. I would say that a credible argument could be made that he was the best veteran coach available. Definitely in the top 3. Lindy very likely had other options if he wanted them.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
i gotta say, before this happened, I was firmly on team "Lindy Ruff should be one of the candidates for the job, of course. He's an experienced NHL coach. Just because the nostalgia factor exists doesn't mean he's automatically going to be bad or unqualified because of it."

However, after they conducted a "search" that lasted...a few days(?) and included - from the looks of it - no other candidates, I think I've actually shifted to team "oh shit the owner made them hire Lindy Ruff purely because of nostalgia for the time he tried to fight Bryan Murray, and because he's a Bills fan."

I do think Lindy could do a good job and get more out of these players...but this does not immediately give off the appearance of being a thorough, well-wrought process.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Hours later this is still blowing my mind. I would have preferred rehiring Tim Murray to bringing Ruff back. Murray would have made more sense. At least you could make the argument that he was inexperienced and has maybe gotten better in in interim. Ruff has spent the interim underachiever and getting fired for the exact same reasons he got fired the first time in Buffalo. Just mind blowing how utterly stupid this is.
Last time I checked Tim Murray was managing some race horses in Florida somewhere. The guy took his Pegula money and quit Hockey altogether.

Last edited:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Pegula has a strong hand in this one. Relationship between Ruff and Adams if things go south will be interesting to see

Reactions: Irie

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I didn't say that. I said it would put Lindy #1 on the all-time list of NHL coaches for most games played without a cup. There's probably more records for him too. I haven't looked but I would image he's pretty high on a bunch of futility lists. Has he made a finals since '99?
Ok…but if Maurice wins the cup this years how is Lindy being right behind him proof that Lindy can’t get it done?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Ok…but if Maurice wins the cup this years how is Lindy being right behind him proof that Lindy can’t get it done?

I like that it’s just an admission that he wouldn’t have hired Maurice for the same silly reason. And he’s using his success as an opposite point lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad