Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff named Head Coach, Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tired: Goathead throwbacks
Wired: Slug throwbacks
20230406_002252.jpg

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I still have my reservations with Ruff, since he left Buffalo, hes only seen the playoffs 3 years out of the 7 he was a head coach, 2 with Dallas and 1 with New Jersey. His first tenure with Buffalo was what we all remember, a winning coach who only missed the post season 6 times in 14 full seasons but if you look at other winning head coaches available like Bruce Boudreau he made the playoffs in 4 full seasons with Washington before getting fired in his 5th with a winning record, 4 full seasons with Anaheim, only missing in his first year with them (with a winning record) making it 2 out of 3 full seasons with Minnesota. Out of all his coaching seasons hes only had one losing season being the last with Vancouver finishing 18-25 before being fired. When he took over that team the year prior, he went 32-15-10 to finish out the season still missing the playoffs but he climbed out of the mountain crater the team was left in.

I just think the Lindy Ruff hiring was premature and rushed.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The other bit in that Lindy interview that dovetailed with the exit interviews - having structure to fall back on when one doesn't have one's A game, as he put it, to have a B game that can manufacture wins.
Granato said the same thing for two years. Actually making that happen with this particular group of players will be very challenging, regardless of intentions.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Granato said the same thing for two years. Actually making that happen with this particular group of players will be very challenging, regardless of intentions.

I don't recall him really talking about that. I remember a lot of "work harder" and talk about getting to harder areas but that was always backed up with stuff about identity, which is a rush team.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

I don’t know. Many of us, to include yourself, could see there was absolutely no structure to their game. What was being taught? Whatever it was it was either 1-a garbage system or 2-a system the players didn’t feel the need to follow and there were no consequences for not playing within it.

I’ll be honest here. I’m not sure Granato was even good for developing players. He moved Tage to center which was great and took the reigns off Dahlin but was he really good for them or any of the kids other than to let them play stress free, which, IMO, is not always good.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't recall him really talking about that. I remember a lot of "work harder" and talk about getting to harder areas but that was always backed up with stuff about identity, which is a rush team.
He talked A LOT about having a "B game" when your "A game" wasn't in the cards for a given night. He talked about it a lot both last year and this year.

He's the one who introduced me/taught me about that whole concept. Sometimes at the podium, sometimes on WGR, but he did talk about it arguably more than the "work harder" excuse, per my recollection.

I don’t know. Many of us, to include yourself, could see there was absolutely no structure to their game. What was being taught? Whatever it was it was either 1-a garbage system or 2-a system the players didn’t feel the need to follow and there were no consequences for not playing within it.

I’ll be honest here. I’m not sure Granato was even good for developing players. He moved Tage to center which was great and took the reigns off Dahlin but was he really good for them or any of the kids other than to let them play stress free, which, IMO, is not always good.
My only point is = it's easy to diagnose...but not so easy to cure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad