Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff hired as head coach of NJD

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
tumblr_p7t4dkpoKY1x4f1b9o1_400.gif

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
...maybe
Ruff was top candidate all along, prior relationship w Fitzgerald

Ruff was hired 3 years ago because of a prior relationship with Arniel. Lindy's got the platinum card to the Old Boys Club.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ll guarantee you one thing for certain. No one happier about this than David Quinn. You know Old boys club Lindy was forced on him. Now he can work with someone that knows what they’re doing.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Devils have been looking for a coach since they fired Hynes in December. They probably asked the Rangers for permission to talk to Ruff some time after the freeze. First, I don't think the Rangers would have turned down the Devils' request even under normal circumstances, given Ruff is a respected, veteran coach who obviously wanted to get back to being top dog. Second, given that no one really knew if the season would resume, it would have been really unfortunate if the Rangers declined to let Ruff talk to the Devils until the season was over, only for the Devils to hire someone else and then for the league to cancel the remainder of the season.

Whether Ruff finishes it out, I don't know. I can see why the Rangers would want to keep him on with the playoffs going on and all, but if they have someone they think could step in (or if they think it would be manageable without another AC stepping in), they may feel it's better to just let him out of his contract. It's tough to expect a guy who has accepted a new job to be fully focused on the matter at hand when he has one foot out the door.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Also, regarding Ruff and the Devils. I think Ruff's performance will be solely dictated by the strength of the roster he is given. If the Debs manage to assemble a really good roster, Ruff will do well with them. If their roster is mediocre, Ruff will have a very unremarkable tenure. And if they continue to trot out horseshit, Ruff will struggle.

I have never viewed Ruff as a guy who would coax his team into overachieving. At the same time, I don't remember any of his teams being huge disappointments. He is just...fine. He's basically a replacement-level coach.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Wonder if we would be able to throw a bag of money at Gallant to take over AC duties for this potential playoff run. Probably a bit too late in the game to try to reinvent the D structure, but he could provide good input in other areas with his experience.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ve never seen ever in the NHL a guy coaching one team while having been formally announced as the new head coach for another. Never. Actually in no sport have I seen a formal announcement during the season. So he can’t come back If NJ makes it official tomorrow

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’ve never seen ever in the NHL a guy coaching one team while having been formally announced as the new head coach for another. Never. Actually in no sport have I seen a formal announcement during the season. So he can’t come back If NJ makes it official tomorrow
My assumption here is because of the circumstance with the schedule, this is happening

If the Rangers were to make a deep run in the playoffs, presumably Ruff wouldn’t have much time to prepare with the Devils for next season

I’d also assume the Rangers are fine with it because Greg Brown has been the coaching the defense with Ruff so it’s not the end of the world

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->