Lindros

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Bob Probert had a 62 point, ~30 goal season in the 80s.

In the 1984-85, 85-86 seasons there were 23 40 goal scores.

82-83 and 83-84 had 24 40 goal scores.

In the last 5 full seasons there have been 28 40 goal scorers.

It takes 5 season to surpass the total of one season in the 80s. Let that sink in.
So the answer to my question was no.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit

It takes 5 season to surpass the total of one season in the 80s. Let that sink in.

To be fair, Probert had a little more offensive talent than a lot of people give him credit for. Also, I don't think you'll find much of an argument from anyone that the NHL used to be a much higher scoring league. That's why the key is to compare Gretzky to his contemporaries. We all know he puts his peers' offensive output to shame.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
According to this book:

I recall Devellano at some point saying that they were considering offering Fedorov, Yzerman, and Lidstrom. I can't find a source on this, though.
In hindsight that would have been a terrible deal for us but when you consider when it was being made (after the 1991-92 season) it really isn't as lopsided as it seems:
* Fedorov was a young 2-way center who looked to be a roughly 80pt player but not a superstar
* Lidstrom had just come off a promising rookie season so his value was mostly potential
* Lapointe was a 10th overall pick in the Lindros draft
* Chiasson was a dependable second pairing guy
* Cheveldae was a young goalie

So really a package of two established 2nd tier players (Fedorov, Chiaason) and three young guys with potential (Lidstrom, Lapointe, Cheveldae) for Lindros. Actually a fairly good value at the time. People forget that Lindros had more hype than Crosby an was viewed as the most dominant power forward since Gordie Howe. He was seen by every scout as a virtual HHOF lock and would have been if not for concussions. He was a guy who you build a franchise around and sells tickets just on name alone. Back then the Wings were not as financially sound as they are now and a guaranteed ticket seller like Lindros was a big draw. And consider that even after that trade you'd have Lidros and a 26 year old Yzerman together back when Stevie was still putting up 100+ point seasons. All in all it would have been a great trade at the time for Detroit.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
lindros probably still makes the HHOF. at some point. bure, federko and neely managed to make it.. now that isn't the best argument but for the reasons already said in this thread, he will make it, eventually.

would probably be there already if he was little more likable guy... on and off the ice.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lindros was a great player but the Flyers overpaid to say the least.

Yeah, Peter Forsberg alone was wort of the trade and became a better player. I think Philadelphia would have won a Stanley cup without that Lindros -trade and Quebec/Colorado would not have been that great rival against us in the 90's.

Last edited by a moderator:

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Yeah, Peter Forsberg alone was wort of the trade and became a better player. I think Philadelphia would have won a Stanley cup without that Lindros -trade and Quebec/Colorado would not have been that great rival against us in the 90's.

Colorado would have been an even better rival if anything. Only thing I ever hated Forsberg for was his diving.

And Philly doesn't even make the SCF without Lindros. The LOD line carried that team.

Starting to believe the idea that Forsberg is overrated on this site.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Colorado would have been an even better rival if anything. Only thing I ever hated Forsberg for was his diving.

And Philly doesn't even make the SCF without Lindros. The LOD line carried that team.

they might not get roy without that trade.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lindros was pretty easy to shut-down and sweep out with a better puck-possession like we (and Lidström) did at 1997.

Of course him and Sakic togeher would have been problematic but that never happening Roy-trade would had keep us maybe at Dynasty level.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Coming out of Jrs. He was a player everybody thought would be great. It's easy to say now, that you would take the 3 wings players over him. But in the early 90's he looked to be the prototype power forward everyone wanted. Some of his complaints IMO were justified. The Flyers tried to make him play thru concussions then stripped his captaincy because he questioned them. Lindros did have a problem with keeping his head down, especially at the blueline. Scott Stevens made him pay a few times. But Lindros handed out his fair share of hits early in his career.
One player that played him tough and wasn't intimidated was Vladdy. I remember a announcer say he played each shift like it could be his last. Vladimir was a huge factor in the 97 finals keeping Lindros from being very effective.
Sure I would take Forsberg over Lindros now. But then I would of taken Lindros. Hindsight is 20/20.

Interesting side story.

When i was a kid, and JUST getting into hockey.. I liked 3 hockey teams:

Vancouver, Quebec and Detroit.

I was a big fan of sundin/sakic and they just drafted lindros and he said he wouldn't play for them. I remember the KINGS ransom that Philly payed to get Lindross. I had heard all the talk about Forsberg, my brother was a big Lindross fan. He went out and bought Lindros' rookie card. I went out and bought forsbergs and said that forsberg alone would be a better player.

Now in all truth, i think Lindros could have been an seriously awesome HOF'er but i think he is overrated. At least that package (trade) resulted in Quebec winning the Stanley cup If i recall only 1-2 years later. (as Colorado).

I am not that all knowing though… I thought when Boston drafted Thornton and Samsonov and gave them both the same entry deal… I said samsonov would be better than thornton… hahah got that one wrong :P

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

How avs might have looked without the Lindros trade.

Eric Lindros - Joe Sakic - Scott Young
Martin Rucinsky - Mats Sundin - Andrei Kovalenko
Rene Corbet - Troy Murray - Todd Bertuzzi
Bill Huard - Todd Warriner - Brett Lindros

Sandis Ozolinsh - Adam Foote
Curtis Leschyshyn - Alexei Gusarov
Jon Klemm - Craig Wolanin

Stephane Fiset
Garth Snow

The Lindros trade had a much bigger effect on the future avs, ppl dont realise it.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

In Gretzky's peak seasons, he was putting upward to 70 more points than the nearest trailer. Gretzky was the most dominant hockey player relative to his competition than any other player in hockey history. Even in the deadpuck era as a 37 year old, he put up 90+ points. I love Feds and Nick, but for PRIME Gretzky? There's no way any sane person can say no to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad