• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Lindros most common linemates during his peak year: LeClair, Renberg

Malkin most common linemates during his peak year: Neal, Kunitz

Im trying to be as fair as possible by not using Malkin’s 2009 season+playoffs linemates.

do you hold leclair and renberg in higher regard? Because leclair never scored more than 25 goals when he wasn't a linemate of Lindros. Lets not be confused why john leclair put up the points he did.

Reactions: Dingo

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
do you hold leclair and renberg in higher regard? Because leclair never scored more than 25 goals when he wasn't a linemate of Lindros. Lets not be confused why john leclair put up the points he did.

He still fairly contributed while Lindros was injured, while Neal did not when Malkin was out. The system of Montreal didn’t fit him very well. I also could go on and say that Neal never broke 60 pts after his tenure with Malkin. The only thing that helped him being a decent offensive player was his shot.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He still fairly contributed while Lindros was injured, while Neal did not when Malkin was out. The system of Montreal didn’t fit him very well. I also could go on and say that Neal never broke 60 pts after his tenure with Malkin. The only thing that helped him being a decent offensive player was his shot.

leclair went from a 25 goal scorer to a 50 goal scorer with lindros.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
And kept that level of production even when Lindros was injured... there must be a reason why the 3 formed the Legion Of Doom..

no he did not my friend. after flirting with triple digits , leclairs point totals plummeted. No coincidence it coincided with Lindros missing a big chunk of the season. I lived through that era, i saw the man pump up pat falloon, Daigle all sorts of fodder.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016

Hardly definitive proof given the sample sizes, but...

Between 94/95-96/97...

LeClair with Lindros in the lineup: 163GP / 204PTS / 1.252PPG
LeClair without Lindros in the lineup: 38GP / 39PTS / 1.026PPG

Dropoff: -18.1%

Between 11/12-12/13 (didn't play together 10/11)...

Neal with Malkin in the lineup: 100GP / 103PTS / 1.03PPG
Neal without Malkin in the lineup: 20GP / 14PTS / 0.70PPG

Dropoff: -32%

LeClair was a good player in his own right.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
no he did not my friend. after flirting with triple digits , leclairs point totals plummeted. No coincidence it coincided with Lindros missing a big chunk of the season. I lived through that era, i saw the man pump up pat falloon, Daigle all sorts of fodder.

James Neal was a PPG player in the only season Malkin played a relatively healthy season (during Neals tenure with the Pens). When Malkin’s injuries started to get more important c.2013-2015, Neal never came close again to the level of his 2012 season.

Leclair was still a PPG player in the seasons where Lindros was injured c.1995-1999

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's some really questionable stuff being said in here by Flyers fans to try and prop up Lindros. Let's look at it in reality, if you have to manipulate and ignore facts to say one player is better than another, then you really don't have an actual argument. Lindros is elite defensively? Yeah, based on the grand 0 total of times he was voted in the top-10 for the Selke. LeClair sucked? Yeah, based on the fact that he had 4 straight seasons of having more than 85 points and was still a very good top-6 player after Lindros left (pace of 57 points per 82 games from 2000-2006, a majority of which was during the peak of the DPE).

It's really easily Malkin here.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Any numbers to back this up? He was arguably the 2nd best offensive force in his five year prime. There is nothing about his playoff resume during that time that points to him being that much less effective in the playoffs.

In case you missed these stats before:

Here is his best five year span:

NHL.com - Stats

4th in points, 3rd in PPG (right behind Jagr)

Uhh,
I pretty much watched the playoffs, watching how teams successfully contained him.

Google search how the Panthers beat the Flyers in the playoffs (you might find stories on a rookie Ed Jovanovski containing him). It was pre-internet so goodluck.

Google why Lindros was so ineffective against the Red Wings. 1 meaningless goal in a 4 game sweep. Hint.. federov was better.

Everyone knows how Jersey contained him.

Infact care to explain why Lindros has no cups? HF boards seems to emphasize cup wins to determine a players value.

If Lindros had the highest peak of any player ever, why no cup? He had a great supporting cast.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Any numbers to back this up? He was arguably the 2nd best offensive force in his five year prime. There is nothing about his playoff resume during that time that points to him being that much less effective in the playoffs.

In case you missed these stats before:

Here is his best five year span:

NHL.com - Stats

4th in points, 3rd in PPG (right behind Jagr)

Did you actually watch how the Flyers were eliminated each year?

Because I remember quite clearly.

He wasn't Thor on skates. He could be pummelled, and physically beaten down like anyone else. He could be outskilled, outskated, and outsmarted. He could be beaten many different ways.

Redwings kept the puck away from him. Ed Jovanovski and Scott Stevens played him physically and won.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
saying lindros is better than malkin is like arguing brady anderson was a better baseball player than mike trout

get real people

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I think Lindros was better at everything. Faster, better passer, better shooter, harder shot, better skater, bigger, tougher, better playmaker, better hitter, better defensively and better overall hockey IQ and vision.

If we're talking peak only.

Reactions: joez86 and Sasso09

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
At the height of his reign of terror, I don't know that anyone had as much impact on the game as Lindros did except maybe Hasek. He got into the heads of his opponents like very few could. Throughout the history of the game, only a small handful of players have had that kind of impact.

Of course, Malkin's had the better career by far. Now, he has definitely had the better team around him, but that shouldn't take too much away from his accomplishments. When he's feeling it, he takes over and there isn't much anyone can do about it.

The better player? I suppose I would say Lindros by a hair. I think the injuries maybe took more away from his ability to play at his best than Malkin's, but when Lindros was on his game it was basically him, Jagr and Hasek lapping the field. In Malkin's best years, he wasn't all that far ahead of everyone else.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Lindros most common linemates during his peak year: LeClair, Renberg

Malkin most common linemates during his peak year: Neal, Kunitz

Im trying to be as fair as possible by not using Malkin’s 2009 season+playoffs linemates.
i see those linemates as pretty even, really. Leclair is the best, but Neal is not wayyyyy offf, and Id take Kunitz over Renberg. Renberg has no fame without being big and on that line. He accomplished little without them.

The biggest thing going for Malkin is not often getting to be #1c on his team, and flourishing when he did.

For what its worth i think Malkin is more talented than Eric, but Eric dominated physically like no other top end player since Gordie Howe. Ive got them as quite even, when it comes down to it.

There is a list of guys, for me, after Wayne and Mario (and I feel even they benifitted from a different style of coaching and league), who basically played AFTER W and M, who are all elite forwards. Personally I dont rank them linearly as most do, but rather recognize them as elite talents and consider that one would be better than the other based on what a team is looking for rather than making a sweeping declaration that one was superior completely.

Geno and Eric are both in my top elite group.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I think Lindros was better at everything. Faster, better passer, better shooter, harder shot, better skater, bigger, tougher, better playmaker, better hitter, better defensively and better overall hockey IQ and vision.

If we're talking peak only.
Yup

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
saying lindros is better than malkin is like arguing brady anderson was a better baseball player than mike trout

get real people
No its not like that at all. Brady Anderson wouldn't be comfortably beating Mike Trout in a poll on a respectable baseball forum.

This comment confirms you're either
A) A penguins fans
B) under 30 years old.

Im gonna go with both, you're a 17 year old penguins fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->