Lindros vs. Malkin

Lindros vs. Malkin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Malkin. His 08/09 is a season for the ages. Destroyed both the RS and the playoffs. What a sight to behold!

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm not sure Lindros was ever better offensively than Malkin was in 2011-2012, but maybe you still have to go with him because of the sickening physical dominance and superior defense. I consider 1995 his best season. Extended peak? Maybe Malkin due to superior durability (who would have thought?)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Prime lindros was a choker. For flyers in 97 and for canada i 98

you can say he was a choker that is fair. I mean the DRW had 7 hall of famers in their prime. The flyers had prime lindros and old paul coffey and old dale hawerchuk.

That DRW team of that era was unbelievably good.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
you can say he was a choker that is fair. I mean the DRW had 7 hall of famers in their prime. The flyers had prime lindros and old paul coffey and old dale hawerchuk.

That DRW team of that era was unbelievably good.

I always find it funny when people mention the 97 final.

Lindros had dominated the play-offs until then... and Detroit literally just matched vs him and no-one else... yet the Flyers did not score a SINGLE goal that series without Lindros on the ice, even though other lines were getting "easier" matchups than usual due to how Detroit were just "cheating" on Lindros. Him and Brind'Amour were pretty much the only guys on the team who showed up for that game.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I always find it funny when people mention the 97 final.

Lindros had dominated the play-offs until then... and Detroit literally just matched vs him and no-one else... yet the Flyers did not score a SINGLE goal that series without Lindros on the ice, even though other lines were getting "easier" matchups than usual due to how Detroit were just "cheating" on Lindros. Him and Brind'Amour were pretty much the only guys on the team who showed up for that game.

That series was unfair on lindros from the start. First we were the "favorites", never during the playoffs did i think we were favorites especially over drw. Second, that series is just the purest example of what was wrong with hockey in that era, but it was also our intorduction to how dominate lidstrom was. That was the year Lidstrom solidified himself as the finest dman in the game.

looking back on those flyers teams its clear as day that they lacked one thing the devils, avas, and drw of that era had. Depth. the flyers were the purest example of a 1 line team.

Reactions: Appleyard

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think Lindros is stupidly overrated.

So my vote for Malkin probably shouldn't count for much.
If you think he was overrated, then I think you didn't watch him.

He was usually the best player on the ice most nights. His presence alone forced dmen into making premature decisions. He was the kind of player that helped his team win without the need to score. He was a ****ing bull.

God I miss that kind of hockey.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Malkin peak (11/12): 133 adjusted points/82

Lindros peak (95/96): 124 adjusted points/82

But are those points worth the superior defense, physicality etc of Lindros?

Using league GPG to adjust is flawed. Malkin had a much more dominant season.

Avg. PPG of the other Top 20 scorers in 1995/95 (Mario and Jagr removed as outliers) - 1.31 (Lindros 1.58, a 21% difference)

Avg. PPG of the other Top 20 scorers in 1995/95 (Mario and Jagr removed) - 0.99 (Malkin 1.45, a 46% difference)

based on this, Malkin would have scored 135 to 140 points in 95/96 to Lindros's 115.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I would also guarantee that Lindros was a better 5v5 player... I would love to have seen his CF% and ExGF at his peak. His EV scoring was a very high % of his scoring for a star player.

In 95/96, Lindros scored 75 ES points out of 115 (3rd best behind Jagr and Nedved)

In 11/12, Malkin scored 75 ES points out of 109. (Best in the league)

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Like Crosby, Jagr, and OV, Malkin's offensive peak was higher than Lindros', then it's a matter of preference over what other things each brought.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Lindros was a unique player. Not just about points. The guy intimidated other players.
I’d go peak Lindros.

Exactly. Nobody could control the game the way prime lindros could since lemieux and gretzky. He was the most intimidating skilled player to ever play the game.

I'd put him ahead of Crosby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->