Confirmed with Link: Lindholm signs 6 year 29.1 million dollar contract

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
With only 8 mil in cap space yet I’m fairly certain Hanifin will need to be bridged for less money. I don’t think we can afford to give him that and resign Janko/Kulak/Rittich/Hathaway

Hathaway shouldn't even be on the team. Rittich has no reasons to demand high salary, Kulak as well. Janko and Hanifin should take up 6.5mill at most. Waive Lazar after training camp if he sucks. If he doesn't, trade him for a pick.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Hathaway shouldn't even be on the team. Rittich has no reasons to demand high salary, Kulak as well. Janko and Hanifin should take up 6.5mill at most. Waive Lazar after training camp if he sucks. If he doesn't, trade him for a pick.

When you waive players you still need to have 23 players on the roster. Even if you waive Hathaway and bring in someone at league minimum it counts on the cap. If you’re giving Hanifin 5.5 then you only have 2.5 left to sign a backup goalie, Janko, a bottom pairing D and a 13th forward. That math doesn’t check out.

2-3 year bridge for him and Janko to when Frolik/Brouwer come off the books makes the most sense to me

Aug 3, 2010
BEST YET TO COME
Media release post-signing featuring Treliving and Lindholm.
Brad Treliving said:
"If you really study his game, he's been just excellent over 185 feet of the 200 feet of the ice surface,'' said Flames' GM Brad Treliving Monday, shortly after announcing that RFA Lindholm had been signed on for the next six seasons.
"It's from the hashmarks in where he hasn't produced to a level that a lot of people predicted when he was drafted.
"He's established himself as a solid complement defensively. He can clean up a lot of messes for people.
"Where there's room for growth is in the finishing.
"We feel the role and the situations he's going to be put in with us are going to help him get to that level offensively."
Elias Lindholm said:
"Oh, yeah, I think I have more in me to contribute in that area,'' agreed Lindholm, from his parents' home in Sweden. "Two years ago after Christmas I really started playing well, scoring points.
"That's the way I want to play.
"That's the way I know I can play.
"It's not like I got drafted fifth overall and all of a sudden I was a bad pick. I know what I can do.
"In Carolina for five years, I felt a few times that I was about to take that step but couldn't really do it. I had some decent years there but I want to get back to where I know I can be.
"You always want to score first but the team always comes first. You want to be as good as possible in all three zones because if you can't get out of the D-zone, you can't score goals anyway.
"Coming to a new opportunity, changing everything - organization, conference, country - is going to be good for me. A re-start.
"With the players we have in Calgary … I think there's a lot of goals. I hope to be a part of that."
"If they put me with Backlund … well, it's always nice to play with another Swede. If it's Johnny and Mohahan, well, that's one of the best tandems in the league. So, either way, really nice.
"As a team, if you look at our lineup, we're right there, in my mind.
"So wherever I do play, I'll be ready."

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
8.7M left in cap space with 12 forwards, 5 defencemen, and 1 goalie. But Treliving isn't going to spend right up to the ceiling; there will be 1-2M in wiggle room left over for short term recalls and what not. So it's actually more like ~7.5M in space left.

Jankowski, Hathaway, Kulak and Rittich should combine for roughly 4.5M which leaves 3M for Hanifin. Which means he's either getting a bridge deal for that amount or they're buying out Brouwer/trading Stone for futures and signing Hanifin longterm. Hopefully it's the latter.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

Thats a serious top 6. It really straws my capri sun.

The only thing better than Backlund is having a Backlund Jr. playing on the same line and then adding in a side of Tkachuk to stir the pot.

I just listened to both the Treliving and Lindholm interviews, both sides feel like the player has more to give. Treliving said several times he’s a player they are thinking is “gonna pop”. It’s very clear they made an educated risk on “buying low” on a player that they expect is going to score more. He also really likes what an excellent 2-way player he is and that he generates a ton of chances. Lindholm said he needs to finish better and expects himself to be a perennial 20 goal scorer, which be like adding 2 x Neal’s in 1 offseason.

This team is going to have some serious stud power in Johnny and Chucky, but after that it will be the Vegas model right down to the 4th line. I think Lindholm, Monahan and Bennett can all be B-level stars.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Standard deal. In no planet he ever showed north of 5M AAV play and it's unlikely he didn't hit his ceiling.

Reactions: snipetype

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The only thing better than Backlund is having a Backlund Jr. playing on the same line and then adding in a side of Tkachuk to stir the pot.

I just listened to both the Treliving and Lindholm interviews, both sides feel like the player has more to give. Treliving said several times he’s a player they are thinking is “gonna pop”. It’s very clear they made an educated risk on “buying low” on a player that they expect is going to score more. He also really likes what an excellent 2-way player he is and that he generates a ton of chances. Lindholm said he needs to finish better and expects himself to be a perennial 20 goal scorer, which be like adding 2 x Neal’s in 1 offseason.

This team is going to have some serious stud power in Johnny and Chucky, but after that it will be the Vegas model right down to the 4th line. I think Lindholm, Monahan and Bennett can all be B-level stars.

He’s gonna be our Pastrnak

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Not amazing, but far better than being north of 5m. Very fair overall: player believes in the team, team willing to commit to the player. If he can hit 50pts twice in this contract, it'll be good.

Considering he was drafted one spot ahead of Monahan this is an AMAZING contract. European players tend to take a little longer to adjust and develop in the NHL. Remember Filip Forsberg? Contrary to most Lindholm will turn out to be the best player in the trade followed by Hanifin. This is crazy good for the Flames.

Hope we can get Hanifin locked up to less than 5.5 mill on a long term contract. And with Bjorkstrand's recent cheap contract, I hope we can convince Jankowski to take less. Don't see Kulak and Rittich/Gillies contracts being much of an issue.

Hanifin will likely get a similar contract Dougie received. Same numbers, same time frame in their career and about the same potential. Yes they have different strengths but in the end you are looking at a future first pairing D-man.

Lindholm has way more talent on the offensive side of the game than Backs. Would not be surprised in a year or two he is challenging Monahan for 1C. I believe the Flames will slot Lindholm on the right side until he has exploded into a legitimate star. That said he will take all the strong side face-offs.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
With only 8 mil in cap space yet I’m fairly certain Hanifin will need to be bridged for less money. I don’t think we can afford to give him that and resign Janko/Kulak/Rittich/Hathaway
If they find a trading partner who wants Stone, they're golden. That said, looking at the cap structure, a bridge deal for Hanifin would make some sense, since six contracts are off the books in two years, and next year Tkachuk needs a new contract.

Reactions: snipetype

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
No NTC or NMC

Probably the most underrated part of this entire contract.

EDIT: Though I doubt we will ever benefit from this clause from Lindholm, IMO from an internal perspective: when you start going back to the days when many players don't have NTC and NMC, this can only benefit us if Treliving has flexibility to move under performing or over performing players at will. I think this contract will help build momentum for more contracts with no NMC and NTC.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It took Sean Couturier a while to hit 76 points :sarcasm:

Coots is a little different, he was playing with the equivalent of Colborne and Bouma. They put him with Giroux this season and all of the sudden he’s a PPG player.

The similarities are he should naturally progress on his own and he’s very skilled. If he gets to play either Johnny or Tkachuk, he should break 50pts next season. I actually think a Tkachuk, Bennett and Lindholm would be very exciting, if all players broke out, we would have a near elite 2nd line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know how anyone thinks this deal is not a good deal. Even without improvement, this is better than market value. If he was a one dimensional 45 point forward, this would be market value. But Lindholm is a younger, healthier, bigger and more physical version of Mikael Backlund (very slight defensive downgrade from Backs). Getting him for 500k less than Backs, is a good deal. If Lindholm turned into a 50+ point player, this contract will be fantastic.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Great contract. Cap hit is fine and the length is great. In a couple years this contract will be a steal.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

Thats a serious top 6. It really straws my capri sun.

The best part is that slotting him there is a luxury, not a need. Pulling him out of the top 6 to build a far more formidable top 9 is worth serious consideration too. It's amazing that we can have a player of Lindholm's calibre outside of the top 6 and still have a respectable top 6.

JG - Mony - Neal
3M
Bennett - Lindholm - X

Bennett is a good finisher and Lindholm a play maker. Those two theoretically could become a strong pairing together.

Reactions: CoconutKing

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
When did this happen?

He's no sniper, but Bennett seemed in my opinion to be able to do weird and random finishes when he was asked to be a net front presence. IMO, it was just weird shades of Gelinas (but perhaps comparison is tainted by his playoff no goal). I seemed to recall him doing well in front of the net as he is a bit of a battler, but I don't recall Gully playing him there often. This with some of his early goals being Joe Colborne specials...

Let's just say I hope him being a good finisher when paired with Lindholm is less fantasy and more reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad