Limit on Number of Contracts

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
One of the downsides of all these extra draft picks last year and this year is Detroit will have a problem signing these prospects. The limit on total contracts is 50.

This may have been part of the reason Sambrook was not signed.

Would it be better to bundle several of these picks and move up in the draft to avoid the contract limit?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With how we have have been drafting after Round 1 these last few drafts, I doubt this is going to be an issue.

That aside... Wright said they are going more for skilled guys this year, so if they go for boom/bust guys this draft they might have less guys who hit, but if they hit they hit big. Hopefully we continue that approach moving forward, it makes the most sense with where this team is in their life cycle. So for a combination of reasons, I don't think the contract limit will pose any issues.

Having more picks is only a good thing.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
There is a magic number at which teams start to be concerned with this. I think it might be 12 picks. I am not worried about it so long as you take a reasonable mix of CHL, Euros and NCAA-bound kids.

I am against moving up for the sake of moving up.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Non issue. You have three years to sign them and by that time you have a good idea of who's worth keeping and who isn't.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
People always think this is a problem but players at juniors or at Europe (using ELC slide) won't count towards the limit.

yeah you really do have a long time to sign guys depending on where they are

for example the Wings had to sign Sambrook this year and didn't do so but if you look at Pearson and Holway they were drafted in 2015(3 years ago at this point and the draft before Sambrook) and the Wings still have TWO years before they're forced to sign them as long as they're in college

i'm much more worried about there being enough playing time in Grand Rapids than I am about contract limits going forward,the Wings have already shown a poor ability at handling that with the defense down there multiple times now over the years and it will probably only get worse with more and higher draft picks

although I suppose the Wings need to start drafting better for even that to matter,not much to worry about in that regard with last years draft :laugh:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Agree with this being a non issue!

1) Many of these picks as well as players already in the system, will not be signed, as they won't progress as hoped.

2) The sliding that has been mentioned by others, clears even more space.

3) There is always trading away of meaningless players, like Jensen, Ouellet, etc., if space was even needed to add another rookie to a contract.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
There is a magic number at which teams start to be concerned with this. I think it might be 12 picks. I am not worried about it so long as you take a reasonable mix of CHL, Euros and NCAA-bound kids.

This.

They will probably draft a pretty even mix of junior, college and Euro guys that will have various signing deadlines between 2 (junior) and as long as 4-5 years or no deadline at all (college and Euro). That will allow them to trickle in as needed. That said, I'm sure (like any draft year) not all of them will end up getting signed anyway.

Another thing would be that as the talent level among prospects in GR increases, the need to go out and sign the Matt Loritos, Ben Streets, Eric Tangradis and Turner Elsons of the world lessens. On that same note, if needed, GR can supply some veterans and/or depth on their own like they did with guys like Ford, Campbell, Elkins and Shine this past season.

for example the Wings had to sign Sambrook this year and didn't do so but if you look at Pearson and Holway they were drafted in 2015(3 years ago at this point and the draft before Sambrook) and the Wings still have TWO years before they're forced to sign them as long as they're in college

i'm much more worried about there being enough playing time in Grand Rapids than I am about contract limits going forward,the Wings have already shown a poor ability at handling that with the defense down there multiple times now over the years and it will probably only get worse with more and higher draft picks

That is probably the second major factor in Sambrook not getting signed. The first being that he never really became more than a "long shot" to get to the NHL. If he had made more of an impact, I'm sure they'd certainly make room by moving a Lashoff or McIlrath. Or, if they had more room, and didn't anticipate better D prospects coming in, they may have signed him as organizational depth at the D position. But at this point, with Sulak, Cholowski and Saarijarvi all looking to grab regular spots in GR for next season, Lindstrom probably coming over for 19-20, and likely (hopefully) some better CHL D prospects coming with the glut of early picks in this summers draft coming in for 20-21, seems like there's no need to shell out the 3year ELC for a guy that's likely to ride the Nastasiuk-Sadowy express between Toledo and Grand Rapids for 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->