Speculation: Liljgren on the trade block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Lily has never been on the block and the rumor is that LA was insisting on him but Dubas refused which is why he had to give up so much prospect wise for Muzzin.

And I was under the impression that LA wanted Liljegren, but it was a non-starter.

This was not the rumour at all. The rumour was that LA was offered Liljegren, but teams were down on him and LA opted for Durzi.

"I was initially surprised that Timothy Liljegren wasn’t included. But, after looking deeper, teams are down on him right now. He’s not yet 20 — way too soon to give up — but several scouts were not surprised the Kings chose OHL Guelph’s Sean Durzi over Liljegren."

Undoubtedly the package Toronto would have offered if Liljegren was included would not have been the same one offered that included Durzi.

Previously to the trade the Dubas had stated that he was not open to trading Kapanen or Sandin (but did not mention Liljegren) in the Leafs' search for a D. And speculation was that they were open to trading Liljegren, their 2019 first round pick or Bracco. A week or so after the trade Dubas said that he was not open to trading Sandin or Liljegren.

It has already been detailed a few times that Lily is most likely with the big club for LTIR cap purposes to farm out as much as possible for the start of the season and will likely be sent down to the Marlies today or tomorrow.

Yes this is the general belief, and having Liljegren on the roster on day one and then sending him down will open up a 400K performance bonus pool, so that when the Leafs' call up any players who have performance bonuses they don't have to worry about those performance bonuses coming out the LTIR salary pool. It was a very smart move by the Leafs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bobby Mack said he was available on the broadcast now where exactly the Krider rumors came from I don't remember but Bobby Mac did say Lilly was available and then the Krider rumors happened

Liljegren's name was mentioned with the Muzzin trade but nowhere with the Kreider info as far as I can tell. Might be kind of obvious though since we already dealt our 1st at that point but nothing official was out there.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The coach says he’s happy to have him on the team... so they must be trading him?

And I was under the impression that LA wanted Liljegren, but it was a non-starter.

I agree with you that the reasoning here is stupid but I heard the opposite - LA didn't value Liljegren much at all so they would have wanted basically the same package minus Durzi + Liljegren

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
This Tweet and excitement doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would someone who was on the block last season (offered to LA), and have weak camp garner excitement from the coach?

This has to be a tire pumping and a way to boost interest.

Doesn't make more sense to have him work on his game with longer minutes on the Marlies?

Do you think he's being shopped again?

With Babcock's quote, many on the Leafs' board became convinced that Lilly is on the team at least until Dermott is back. Now someone is convinced it is because the Leafs' want to trade him.

The simplest explaination for Babcock's quote is: What the hell do people think he is going to say when asked about having a player on the roster?

Now I personally think that there is a decent chance that the Leafs' trade Liljegren this season. He and Bracco are the only two real trade chips that the Leafs' have unless they subtract from their roster. But there is no reason for him to be on the roster in order to do so, especially if he doesn't get into any games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad