Likely Rookies

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'd say Setoguchi has highest likelihood overall based on his performances in the last few camps combined with the recognized hole in the Sharks' top six.

I'd put Kaspar ahead of him as he has had two years of development in Sharks hockey. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the roster.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Definites for first full seasons: Andrei Kostitsyn, Maxim Lapierre, Jaroslav Halak.
Good chance: Mikhail Grabovski, Kyle Chipchura, Ryan O'Byrne.
Moderate chance: Corey Locke, Jean-Phillipe Cote, Jonathan Ferland, Duncan Milroy, Janne Lahti.
Outside chance/darkhorses: Matt D'Agostini, Carey Price and Sergei Kostitsyn.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Definites for first full seasons: Andrei Kostitsyn, Maxim Lapierre, Jaroslav Halak.
Good chance: Mikhail Grabovski, Kyle Chipchura, Ryan O'Byrne.
Moderate chance: Corey Locke, Jean-Phillipe Cote, Jonathan Ferland, Duncan Milroy, Janne Lahti.
Outside chance/darkhorses: Matt D'Agostini, Carey Price and Sergei Kostitsyn.

I agree with most, but I'd put Carey in the moderate chance column.

Artful_Dodger*

I'd put Kaspar ahead of him as he has had two years of development in Sharks hockey. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the roster.
Yes, I believe you may be correct in that regard.

hans

Apr 13, 2007
westwood
From the Kings, Jack Johnson is a lock. Patrick O'Sullivan and John Zeiler are very likely, although I'm not sure how many games each played last season and whether or not they're still technically rookies.

One of Richard Petiot, Joe Piskula, or Peter Harrold will likely either make it as the 7th defenseman, or will be 8th and split time between the NHL and Manchester.

Brady Murray might make the team in a 4th line/surplus forward capacity. Other than him it would take a really surpising training camp for any other forward to make the team IMO.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Phoenix should have Mueller, Hanzal, Thomas, Carcillo, Jones, Roche, Gratton, and possibly Yandle, Bell, Kaigorodov and Lisin. I'm not sure what makes a rookie a rookie but everyone of those guys has <82 NHL GP.

fred88

Jul 19, 2007
From the Kings, Jack Johnson is a lock. Patrick O'Sullivan and John Zeiler are very likely, although I'm not sure how many games each played last season and whether or not they're still technically rookies.

One of Richard Petiot, Joe Piskula, or Peter Harrold will likely either make it as the 7th defenseman, or will be 8th and split time between the NHL and Manchester.

Brady Murray might make the team in a 4th line/surplus forward capacity. Other than him it would take a really surpising training camp for any other forward to make the team IMO.

And what about Brian Boyle,what append whit this man????

CapeB

Jun 20, 2006
For Boston:
Stuart should be a lock
Krejci has a strong chance
Lashoff, Walter and Soderberg are also possibilities depending if players get moved.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
As for Buffalo i think Marek Zagrapan as well as clark macarthur may not make it out of the camp but as the season goes on look for them to find there own place on the team.

I doubt Zagrapan gets more than a couple of games; he probably will need another full year in the AHL, if not more. MacArthur has the best chance, but I wouldnt be surprised with Kaleta or Mancari (if only for their style of play being more suitable to a 4th line role).

On defense, Sekera and Funk could each see limited time, but not for more than a few games pending a couple of injuries.

mikethompson

Mar 20, 2007
Maple Ridge
Andrew Ebbett will be playing for the Dcks on opening night I know this cause he was the best man at my cousins wedding when he got signed by the Ducks and signed my hockey news taht had his name in it.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Thrashers:

Brett Sterling- a spot on Ilya's opposite wing is his to lose, only real competition is from Pascal Dupuis.

Mark Popovic- Barring injury, should be on the Thrashers blueline.

There are three or four other rookies who could make the team out of camp(Enstrom, Lavallee, Little, Lewis), but I would bet these are the only two that make the starting roster.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
For the Flames, I dont see too many making the roster. The only likely one, who may not be considered a rookie any more is David Moss. He played 41 games for the Flames last year. He should be a regular.

I dont think Kaspar has a shot over Setoguchi to make the sharks like some posters have mentioned. I think Kaspar has an outside shot to play at all this year, whereas setoguchi, if he has a strong camp will make it outright. Of course the camp will play a big role, but I expect Seto to make it.

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
For the Flames, I dont see too many making the roster. The only likely one, who may not be considered a rookie any more is David Moss. He played 41 games for the Flames last year. He should be a regular.

Based on the roster now there are a couple of spots up for grabs with rookies in the mix. For one the back-up spot is currently vacant and it seems they are going to go with a rookie (Likely Krahn)

Up front you have 1 or possibly 2 forward spots open. Now you do have a guy like Grant Stevenson in the mix but he's far from a lock. So basically you have 1 or 2 spots open for someone like Nystrom, Taratuhkin, Boyd, Germyn, Prust and Maki to grab with a guy like Vandergulik a long-shot.

I'd suggest right now Taratuhkin has the inside track.

hans

Apr 13, 2007
westwood
And what about Brian Boyle,what append whit this man????

He'll be in the mix but I doubt he'll make the team out of training camp. It looks like the Kings have decided to make a defenseman out of him, and they're coming into the year with 6 defensemen on one-ways plus Jack Johnson, not to mention the other defensemen I mentioned who have been paying their dues in Manchester and probably will get their shot before Boyle. Boyle will at least get a look in the next year or so but I doubt it will be as early as opening night.

Fortius

May 23, 2007
Thrashers:

Brett Sterling- a spot on Ilya's opposite wing is his to lose, only real competition is from Pascal Dupuis.

Mark Popovic- Barring injury, should be on the Thrashers blueline.

There are three or four other rookies who could make the team out of camp(Enstrom, Lavallee, Little, Lewis), but I would bet these are the only two that make the starting roster.

I've been seeing quite a number of posts on the Thrashers side that shows Enstrom pretty much locked-in to a starting spot. Who do you think starts over him? Lewis is good but will need a year in the AHL after only playing a handful of games last year to get used to the long season.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Columbus:

No rookies are a lock to make this team but some have an outside chance. There are many positions open and according to Hitchcock/Howson the players will decide who makes the team.

Possibles:
Derick Brassard
Joakim Lindstrom
Marc Methot
Adam Pineault

Doubtful:
Sheldon Brookbank
Curtis Glencross
Zenon Konopka
Alexander Picard (injury)
Tomas Popperle
Kris Russell