Speculation: Likelihood of Oilers acquiring forward help

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Since Jan 1st Edmonton is playing like a top end team and their record shows that. I haven't seen them outmatched by any of the top teams this season which is a big change from recent years.

I honestly think they could beat anyone in the West right now if they can maintain this level of play which is why Holland is likely waiting as long as possible before he considers making a big splash. Winning the West is not out of the question and we only have to go as far back as St Louis last year to see what a team coming into the playoffs hot can do. Good luck stopping a McDrai combination in a best of 7. Unless maybe you take a page out of Anaheim's book and have rigged reffing + 70's style hockey

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, you are out of your mind. The parts you are asking for are known to be untouchable to Holland, and the players you are offering aren't close to the caliber it would take to get those pieces anyway. We don't need to deal with the Rangers, and if that is your prices, nobody else will either.

I knew when I read this ridiculous proposal that it was you before I even checked your name.

Your shtick of always trying to rob the Oilers is old man. Especially when you try to justify your crazy untealistc proposals that always make no sense and benefit NYR.

I'm starting to feel bad for you

You always forget there are 29 other teams that will always offer more than what you offer for the Rangers.

If the Oilers traded Broberg and a 1st they can get significantly more than what you are offering.

Oilers are not desperate to make a deal that they lose handidly. Any of those 3 players would be good for the Oilers but they likely could get each of them in smaller 1 for 1 deals with nowhere the value that you put on them. Especially Howden

I'm glad you concede they fit your needs.
As to price, if we can't agree, fine, no deal.

I reject your erroneous assertion: "Oilers … likely could get each of them in smaller 1 for 1 deals with nowhere the value that you put on them. Especially Howden"
We will not go less than a 2nd on Strome, who likely also gets a small add to that;
nor do I go less than 2nd ++ on Buch.
As explained, Howden was a late 1st who has worked out and is already 3C material with 2nd line potential. NY has invested in him. The only reasons to trade him are profit, and avoid protecting in the expansion draft. His improvement commands a value above the late 1st of his position; hence a mid 1st. Obviously, we are not trading him for a late 1st.

As to separate or in a bundle, obviously, one has possibility of a volume discount in a package deal which does not exist in 1:1 transaction.

My advice to you brother is just let the hate go.
We are not good partners unless we can agree on what we will accept for what you want/could use, and at this time NY has no interest in any asset [besides the obvious McD/Drai] other than 1sts or Broberg.

LOL at saying Strome was a 10oa like it’s his value . Yakupov was a 1st OA are you paying high end asset for him . I know you could just sign him point is if the Oilers had him he wouldn’t be worth close to his draft value . Strome is worth a 2nd or a 3rd plus a b prospect

I did not say the first bold.
I said if you agreed Howden was worth a mid 1st, if you wanted to add the 2nd and a + to that in lieu of the actual 2nd +, then THAT [Howden + Strome] would get you to around 10OA, which is ballpark for Broberg.

You are slightly under on the value of Strome as only a 2nd; I think he gets a small to maybe mod add.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, you are out of your mind. The parts you are asking for are known to be untouchable to Holland, and the players you are offering aren't close to the caliber it would take to get those pieces anyway. We don't need to deal with the Rangers, and if that is your prices, nobody else will either.
NY [nor any other team for that matter] does not have to capitulate to Holland on what it wants.
The title of this thread is likelihood of Oilers acquiring F help.
They may bet crap at his prices, but real help will cost.

And nuts to those of you who want to throw it in my face for telling that like it is.

Didn’t you say last year that Namestnikov was worth a 1st? I think this is the problem people have - the value you place on the players.

It’s kind of odd that you keep trying to turn a simple trade into a much bigger one, when there isn’t any indication that would be desired from either side. Just because you add more players doesn’t mean a team would be willing to give up much better assets over more of the lesser assets.

But I mean it seems pretty clear the Oilers probably aren’t too interested in giving up their 1st for Howden, and I’m sure Strome at that price isn’t too appealing. He’s done well this year, of course, but I think it would be a wait-and-see for most teams on him.

I expected more from Buchnevich this year, so I don’t think he would be too attractive at that price either.

If those are the prices for those players, I believe the Oilers would easily pass on all three, personally.

Underline: if you wish to pass at those prices, I respect your right to do so. No deal if we are not in a certain ballpark.

As to Namest, at one pt I did seek a 1st but that was shortly after we acquired him since Stevie Y insisted GMJG do Miller for Namest, [presumably he would have killed the McDonagh deal if not]. Ok, they didn't have the improved prospect depth they have now, so they played him a bit. I wanted a 1st for him THEN on the basis of demonstrated track record w/Stamkos suggesting he might be a match with higher end linemates. We then gave him a deal at 4 per so he would not walk and I wished we'd have dropped price on him to a 2nd to move him. Making the best of a bad situation, I think I was looking at him + a 2nd + something else for a late 1st.
Finally, with no takers, I said, just please, now we really need to recover the cap, let him go for a 5th, a 6th --- just get rid of him.
Don't recall the timeline but I think most of last yr if not more I was there, going for the giveaway to recover cap, and not seeking a higher pick.

However, my pt was if you want a guy like Namest, who is clearly a stopgap and not a build move, that's the type of player you get at these Holland prices.

And we require profit on our assets . See how that works ?
I said clearly in post 87:
Every team has guys...
they'll pay you to take
or will take less than max due to cap or other reason
or will accept market
or want a profit/premium

While my ask is the high end of market on those 3, I consider them market prices.

Only the NYR can make a profit on their players . Everyone else has to take scraps for the Rangers . At least according to Bern
Again per post 87, which you ignore

every team has guys with dif values
some you have to pay to move
others you can move w/discount
others are market
others command a premium

The 3 that I mentioned are not stars, but they are not scraps or drek either.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
If Ottawa goes for Puljujarvi+Lagesson and a mid-late round pick for Duclair that should work for the Oilers. He's a good depth D man pushing for NHL opportunity where we are deep.

Pageau would be perfect but will be too pricey from Ottawa. Would like to see what Derek Grant would cost instead, Kharia+a 3rd?

Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Duclair - McDavid - Neal
Kassian - Sheahan - Archibald
Kharia/Nygard - Grant - Chiasson
Haas

We'd be able to replenish our AHL team with all the guys currently called up to fill holes.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not sure why you keeping bringing this up not only without acknowledging that it goes both ways, but pretending as if it doesn't.
This. Negotiation is a two way street and if you price your pieces above market value, you are far less likely to get a deal done. I think there are better fits than the Rangers anyway.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm not sure why you keeping bringing this up not only without acknowledging that it goes both ways, but pretending as if it doesn't.

This. Negotiation is a two way street and if you price your pieces above market value, you are far less likely to get a deal done. I think there are better fits than the Rangers anyway.

- not pretending on anything, being direct and in the open;
- my a la carte prices were top end of market value, not above it

concur with basic math that the higher the price, the less likely a deal, that is applicable across the board to all deals

agree NYR and EDM are not good fits due to dif of op on price esp for Buchnevich, who with another yr at just over 3 and I believe still rfa rights should be more highly valued by you guys

to each their own

no rancor
peace out

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Holland is alot like Dubas....they sit and wait until it's too late .... dubas went and got a capable backup finally but still needs to address the D issue. Holland needs help up front . They are currently still in a playoff spot but clinging. Buy some time to McDavid gets back and go get a forward. You can say what you want about GM Rutherford but he addresses his teams needs and gives them a shot...back to back cups proves this can work !!! Stop being so neutral and go get some help!!!!

They’re in first in their division with games in hand on pretty much everyone below them and have been playing some of their best hockey of the year the last 4 games without their best player and two other forwards who’ve played in the top 6 most of the season. I wouldn’t say they are clinging to a playoff spot when they have like a 94% chance of making it now.

Getting McDavid, Neal, Kassian back will be like getting rentals, that being said I wouldn’t be opposed to Holland making a trade but would prefer it to be for someone who’s under contract past this season or someone they believe they can re-sign

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Oilers are a good team but not an elite team. While I want the team to do well, I think fan bias here overrates this team. They still have a few holes to fill and to be more consistent.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
If Ottawa goes for Puljujarvi+Lagesson and a mid-late round pick for Duclair that should work for the Oilers. He's a good depth D man pushing for NHL opportunity where we are deep.

Pageau would be perfect but will be too pricey from Ottawa. Would like to see what Derek Grant would cost instead, Kharia+a 3rd?

To you and the rest of HFBoards, Duclair is not going to be traded this year!!

But something like Pageau + Names or Anisimov 50% retained (I wish we could afford this) should be in your target.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers are a good team but not an elite team. While I want the team to do well, I think fan bias here overrates this team. They still have a few holes to fill and to be more consistent.

I don't think there are many Edmonton fans who would disagree with this statement, at least the ones that post on a regular basis on these boards wouldn't. The holes in the Oilers line up are pretty glaring to even a casual Edmonton fan, and I think we all hope they make the playoffs. No one is expecting them to be cup contenders.

What Edmonton does have, IMHO, are the two best players in the league on their team signed long term. That bodes well for the future.

Reactions: Oil4life99

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
somebody specified LW pref = Buchnevich
of course Strome
right price gets 3C Howden

but we require profit on those
Broberg, 1st + acceptable cap dump
NY can

Wow shoot for the stars I guess, no combination of Strome, Howden or Buchnevich get you anywhere close to a return of Broberg + 1st.

Reactions: TFHockey

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Nugent-Hopkins - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Duclair - McDavid - Neal
Kassian - Sheahan - Archibald
Kharia/Nygard - Grant - Chiasson
Haas

We'd be able to replenish our AHL team with all the guys currently called up to fill holes.
If you were us would you trade an RFA mid to high 20 goal scorer for this???We need players too

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Tatar at 50% retained and Montreal 2020 5th for Lavoie, Somarukov, Räsänen and 2020 1st

Far too much. The 1st would begrudgingly have to be included, but you aren't getting both Lavoie and Samurokov on top. I wouldn't want to give either, and would counter with two of Lagesson, Persson or Marody, all good prospects who are closer to NHL ready, but have less upside. Or Pulujarvi. We need our longer term prospects like Samurokov and Lavoie in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad